1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's an awesome knife with a blade less than 2 1/2 inches?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bryan123, Feb 10, 2017.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I just found out that my end-of-the year bonus is pretty good, and I made some changes in my as-yet meager collection of pocketknives.

I starter out with three small and three medium sized SAKs but had the hankering for a locking folder or two.

So now I have four locking folders; two Esee Zancudos, an Aus-8 that required some breaking in and a D2 that I received yesterday, no breaking in needed, and 2 new Spydies, a Dragonfly and Delica both VG-10 / FRN.

I sent a third Zanc with D2 / Carbon fiber back to exchange for the Delica. I really didn't care for the carbon fiber, and I think one D2 knife is sufficient. I ordered the Delica after seeing how much I liked my new Dragonfly; It's awesome!

I'm going to use these for a few weeks ( more or less) before getting one additional knife because I'll probably gift the AUS 8 Zancudo. I'm leaning toward getting one with a blade of 2.5 inches or less because of local laws; 3 inches in Massachusetts but 2.5 inches in Boston.

Suggestions appreciated, I guess I'm looking for a real gem with a 2.5 inch or less blade.

Thanks

#1 bryan123, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. Saskmando

Saskmando Empty Pockets

bryan123 likes this.
  3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Those look like cool little knives but I'm looking for something with higher end steel. VG-10 or better. I'm not a fan of either 440A or 8Cr13MoV... My Zancudo withAUS 8 has similar steel to these and that's why I upgraded to a D2 Zancudo.

Thanks

4. Harronek

Harronek Loaded Pockets

If you like the Delica , then consider the Delica Kahr Arms .
    It was designed by Micheal Janich as a legal anywhere SD knife , and I can tell you just like the Yojimbo that he also designed for Spyderco , it makes a great EDC knife .
    Comes in three color options Kahki , Denim Blue , Black to give you options on being a bit more dicrete depending on what pants you wear .

[​IMG]

Ken

5. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

This is a candidate... Thanks. VG-10 steel, made in USA, Spydie quality.

I'm coming up with nothing on my own. I eliminated the Kershaw Scalion and Cold Steel Micro Recon because of the steel type.

Anyone have any experience with the DPx knives in this size?

Thanks

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I love Spyderco and have quite a few. In the size range you're looking at, you might want to take a gander at: Sage (5 variants available!); Native 5; Chapparal. I don't quite remember the blade lengths, but they're all in the same range I believe as the Delica.

You might also consider looking beyond Spyderco; in particular at what seems like one of the next top favorites around these forums, the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. Available in several steels; several blade shapes and grinds; handles come in an array of colors. Plus there are plenty of after-market scales in various materials, textures, and colors. All to enable further expenditures of course! Yes, I do have a Mini-Grip; mine is a PE, black DLC, modified sheep's foot shape.

Have I enabled you enough yet? LOL

L'chaim and Shabbat Shalom!

Moshe ben David

bryan123 likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at Al Mar knives? They have some interesting traditional style designs and some are 2.5 or 2.75 in. blade lengths. Most of them use AUS 8 steel though.

Have you seen the Spyderco Lil' Lum? Interesting blade shape and 2.35 in. blade with the usual VG-10 and G-10 handles.

Adahn and bryan123 like this.
  8. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi Moshe,
    If Benchmade made a MiniGrip with a blade under 2.5 inches I would buy it, if I could get it locally that is. Their QC has been suspect lately.

9. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Lil Lum is heavier than my DF and I'm not crazy about G10 or liner locks....

Thanks

10. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I'm not personally into shorter locking knives, but if I were in the market for one I'd look seriously at the Spyderco Techno. It seems to have very high ratings from those that have one.

bryan123 likes this.
  11. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

This is the front runner so far!

Let's break it down....Love the titanium, the blade steel, and the wire clip.

Technically it's 2.55 inches but let that go.

I wish the blade shape was more like the dragonfly. Techno blade has too much belly. Also blade's on the thick side.

Overall still the front runner. Thanks

Last edited by bryan123, Feb 11, 2017
    #11 bryan123, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Nags likes this.
  12. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Especially the Native 5, and chaparral, I can recommend. I have a little experience being in boston, and carried a delica all the time. Granted I didn't clip it to my pants, but when I was around others, especially downtown, I was very discrete about it. Never had any problems.

Both the Native 5 and the Chaparral come in Ti versions, albeit more expensive. Sage 2 is also really close to that two and a half inches. Used discreetly I don't think it'd be a problem either. Not too much belly, Ti, wire clip. Spyderco Dice is a great small folder as well.

bryan123 likes this.
  13. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Dragonfly

Shike likes this.
  14. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I have one and it's great. Looking for something else even greater

15. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Dice looks really awesome...What do you know about the steel???

16. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Guilty, I just read the title. Aside from that I would have to mirror other suggestions and say the Spyderco Techno, although you may have to reprofile it as I believe it to be pretty beefy.

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

18. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

XHP is awesome. It feels like a tool steel to me, except its stainless. Definantly an upgrade from say, s30v

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bryan123 likes this.
  19. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

UPDATE:

Happy Valentine's day BTW...

So after doing some research, I find that the Dice, Chaparral and Techno are just a hair over 2.5 inches.

Cat is eliminated because of steel type (CTS BD1)

Lil Lum has the same steel as my DF (VG-10) and weighs significantly more.

Good thing I really like my Dragonfly because finding something nicer/ dressier is proving to be difficult.

A little help?

Thanks

20. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Grind down the tip of your favorite to make it an acceptable blade length? Use the same technique as you would for a broken tip repair, but without breaking the tip.

gadgetjunky likes this.