1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's all the brand hoopla about?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Boy SureFire, Feb 14, 2010.

1. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

I stick to brands that have proven themselves to me in the past, and continue to prove themselves. My gear has to live up to my rigid standards, since it's going to be used on a regular basis. I don't do the "shelf queen" thing. If something proves itself, I'll definitely favor other products from that brand even if I haven't used those different products, over a brand I'm not familiar with.

Both the Wengers and the Victorinoxes have proven themselves to me (both before and after the "merger" of the two). Same with Rat Cutlery's stuff (now ESEE Knives). TOPS is another brand that's been reliable, as well as some of Cold Steel's stuff.

I like some of Benchmade's offerings, but I don't own one yet. They seem to have a pretty solid reputation, though...that's one reason they appeal to me.

I know there's a lot of Spyderco fans here. I had one years ago, but I thought it was absolute junk and have never cared for them since. Maybe I just got a bad one, but that experience turned me off to that particular brand.

So I guess "brand loyalty" for me just boils down to personal experience.

2. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Dude, you gotta tell! Which one was it and when was it? I'm really curious and any knowledge you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

3. variable

variable Loaded Pockets

I'm sure you are correct on Spyderco :iagree:

I think the knives (and sharpeners) are fantastic ! I do own several of these and always on the lookout for more of them. And Sal, I wish all knife and hard use gear vendors were like him. He is the epitome of integrity!

I also never cared for CS, but also never had one (because I never cared for them) :knuppel2:

4. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Sharpmakers Rule! O0 Nuff said.

5. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

I really don't know. I wasn't "into knives" at the time, like I am now. I have no idea what model. I know for sure it was a Spyderco, though.

It was maybe 20 years ago. The knife was a folder...about a 3-3 1/2 inch blade with that black plastic for the grips. Lockback and combo edged. Maybe a Delica?

In fairness, looking back now, the knife wasn't well-kept. I'd use it for saltwater fishing tasks and never rinse/clean it or sharpen it. It just literally fell apart one day, and I went back to using cheap Chinese-made imitation Buck Knives folders. The imitation Chinese junk lasted me a lot longer.

6. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Ah well thanks anyways. The saltwater and cleaning issues actually explains a lot. If you still do that now, consider the Salt series.

7. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Can anybody comment of the quality of Frost cutterly. They appear to haf some knock offs of quality designs at cheap prices. Some of their blades even have the dimple on them w/the little yellow sticker to attest and confirm the rockwell hardness of the blades. If they will hold up as well as the real Mccoy I would rather spend $20.00 instead of $200.00 on a knife. I see a lot of people trashing Cold Steel.

I have been EDC'ing a Cold Steel Recon Tanto. this appears to be a quality, heavy duty folder. Not being a knife expert I would give it high marks. Some type of heavy duty composit handles, a good locking mechnism. a wide heavy duty stout robust blade (nicely coated black) and it stays sharp. If it is really not that good, I would like to know what to look for to see what the differences are in a quality folder.

I decided to carry a chepo dollar store knife at first, to see if I could hold on to it or if I was going to lose knifes like people lose pens. When I held on to it for a year I got the Cold Steel

8. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

I can't personally attest for the quality, but I know Frost is like the main brand they sell really late at night (like 4:00am) on those crazy QVC *like* knife shows...  Which is I think the best television programming ever.

9. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Homeland Security Ham, Cold Steel is not a disappointingly low quality company. Many of their products are very good quality. Folders and fixed blades. Personal experience. Frost on the other hand has been disappointingly low quality. Except when I ordered some Cold Steel Carbon lV throwing knives from them. Back when I used to think samurai swords were the shnizzle, I actually...Never mind. Cold Steel swords actually cut without the handle falling apart after trying some "practice runs." Still have my first SRK. Carbon V. Other than the grip loosening slightly, I've used it. Many times. Mind you I don't ever abuse my knives. I know what they are for and what they are not for. F'rinstance I'd never chop with a folder. PERIOD. That's just nuts in my book. Straight stabbing blows with a folder? Crazy. (It can FOLD on your precious fingers!) Prying? Never with a folder. (Alright, alright maybe a coupla times with a fixed blade....Yuh got me copper! I did it with a folder too. :( I was young! I was foolish. Know better now.)
    Conclusion. Cold Steel is just fine if you just use it like a tool. They're actually pretty tough. But eventually like all tools they will fail. I haven't bought Cold Steel products in a long while. (Sword Cane was my last disappointment.) Moved on to better "fit and finish", smaller and more utilitarian lines of knives. Fallkniven for fixed blades is top notch. For folders there are too many to list. Just my 29 cents. (Too much verbiage to qualify for 2 cents.)

10. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I am satified with my Recon Tanto. I was really interested for redundency in my jumbo unless it would be a waste and garbage.

11. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

It's not a question of the way it is opened in this case, rather the physics behind it. When you are trying to get an almost 4" blade out, it will take longer than something smaller. It's like trying to open a door from the hinges instead of a doorknob. It would require the same input whether it be a thumb stud or the spyder hole, seeing as they are typically in the same vicinity.

12. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've owned one piece Frost, and it's a +/- 2"Geoff Olson Scrimshaw knife...It seems like nice knife in my newbie way of thinking, but it was a gift so I don't give it much pocket time (I don't want to lose it), and I've therefor also never abused it... I will say though that it has drawn blood (it's not really yours until it's bitten you right?), and has taken on some those plastic product clam shells with ease.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

With knives, you pretty much get what you pay for. The average Frost Cutlery knife is cheap junk.

14. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

no one knife suits every mans needs infact no one knife suits one mans needs but he finds the most useful knife for him.

15. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

:slap: Or womans needs :roof:

16. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

I meant Man as in huMAN not man as in Male man.... (not the letter kind)

17. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

There are lots of exceptions though:

Cheap and good:
    SAKs
    Moras
    Buck 110
    Opinel

Expensive and bad:

uh... Mercworx? I don't try to buy lousy knives.
    Customs (from a pure functional perspective)

18. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty neutral on the knife front, both my EDC knives are Spyderco's though, a Military and a Para-Military. I also have a custom Todd Begg kiridashi and a Swiss Army Soldier for a travel knife. I've owned good and bad from every company, Spyderco included. The only Cold Steel product I've owned was a Pocket Bushman. Besides being huge and hard to unlock it was a decent knife. Held an edge well and the fit and finish were every bit as good as a $100 knife.

19. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

Even though I own have one cold steel in use(gunsite folder), I think the knives are overpriced for the quality product you get. They don't use premium blade steel or handle materials. They use the San Mai III but its just to expensive to be practical. Even though I prefer benchmade knives first, I will say that I believe that Spyderco has the best knife for the money. They use mostly premium blade steel and good handle materials and they cost less than say Benchmade or SOG. I think that now days you are buying a name. I prefer benchmade knives for the look, and the fact that the blades tend to be just a tad bit longer than spyderco. I live in Florida so blade length is not a problem. We don't have any real knife laws, you can pretty much carry a 4"+ blade folder or an automatic and your safe as far as the law goes. Im an LEO and I don't have a problem with people carrying a larger blade.

20. nevermas

nevermas Loaded Pockets

errr, i'm positive that's not what the law in Florida states. There is ambiguity within the law when it doesn't quite define what is a common pocketknife and what is considered a weapon (common pocketknives are not considered weapons in Florida). In Florida, you can't openly or conceal carry a knife (unless they are common pocketknives) unless licensed to do so.

Automatic knives are legal to buy/sell/trade but not legal to carry for non LEO or non CCL holders.

So what is a common pocketknife? Would a CRKT m16 with quick draw flipper count as a common pocketknife? Or a Benchmade with a axis lock assisted opening. Or an old fashioned staghorn knife?