1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's a good system manager for Android?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Blackheart, May 3, 2019.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I don't know what else to call it. I'm looking for a tool that can help me ferret out stuff that doesn't belong and maybe see what resources even legitimate apps think they should have access to. Sort of a security audit.

Background: I'm old. My phone is a Samsung S4 (stop snickering). I mostly carry it for emergencies and taking the occasional photo or to use the calculator.

I've installed very few apps on it myself (Opera Mini browser, a flashlight, the calculator, the Carista app for vehicle OBD). They've all been there for at least a year. This morning, when I took it out of the cradle, I noticed the lock screen had changed and, when unlocked, there was a window saying "Good Morning! Tell me, what's your (astrological) sign?"

Yeah... Time to do some maintenance.

What am I really looking for?

I need to start coming to terms with this thing. My latest vehicle wants a phone to attach to, and there's legislation wending its way through State government that will allow the telcos to start shedding landlines.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm in the Apple universe, so to me Android is just a big black hole. That being said, my instincts suggest you look at the product offerings from various anti-virus and related software makers; they may actually have something.

For example in the Apple universe I use packages from a single company (Intego Software) that take care of anti-virus, firewall, disk cleanup. They have software that deals with desktop/laptop as well as tablets and phones. I doubt that they touch the Android world but in that world maybe (?) there is a vendor with offerings worth looking at?

Or of course you could come into the light...Apple .... ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Blackheart likes this.
  3. Blackheart

Good idea. That's probably the place to start. I took a quick look at Avira Antivirus Security 2019, it has some interesting features...

I was kinda' wondering what other people here were using.

Never going to happen. Nothing against Apple fans, there are obvious advantages to Apple's sort of closed ecosystem.

4. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

There is a built in application manager under Settings > Applications

You can go in and remove any extra apps you didn't install.

Unfortunately an app you installed could have allowed for additional installations. I've never used the carista app, but perhaps it has some additional stuff it loaded.

To really dig into it, you would need 'root' access for your phone. Then app's like app quarantine, titanium backup and others would be able to make further changes. And even remove bloatware (service and manufacturer 'added' apps that are not needed).

Blackheart likes this.
  5. Blackheart

Thanks for your input. The Carista app is an annual subscription, it better not have come with a payload.

I noticed that my battery life took a sharp downturn a while back. Not surprising considering the phone's a few years old. I bought a new battery, but at the same time thought I should see what's running in the background that I'm not even aware of before installing it.

I'll look into getting root access on this thing.

My idea of what a phone should be like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

That looks familiar! I always wondered what happened to my old phone when I tossed it... :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

Get rid of the flashlight app. Use the flashlight widget included with the phone.

kikaida and assassin10000 like this.
  8. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Calculator app too, if it was one you added.

It should have had one already.

9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm still using an S4 too, calculator app did come with it, no torch though, not that I want that.

Just manually remove what you can, personally I don't think that you should need to download another app just to clean the phone up.

10. Blackheart

If there was a flashlight app included, I couldn't find it. It's there as an absolute last resort (I usually have around 3 lights with me). I looked for one that was reviewed as being spyware-free (maybe it is, maybe it isn't).

I *think* (it was over a year ago) I added a calculator because I needed to hexadecimal math.

I've been reading up on this. Unless one gets root access, you can (I'm told) only disable pre-installed apps, not delete (remove) them. ...and there's a lot of garbage that came pre-installed that's taking up memory if nothing else. My one hesitation to rooting (aside from now having the ability to REALLY screw things up) is that auto-updates from Verizon will no longer happen (which, at this point, might be of little to no concern or might actually be a good thing).

Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted.

11. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

Long touch the home screen until a menu pops up. Touch widgets, flashlight is in there. At least on my Verizon S4 it is. Ymmv.

12. Blackheart

Thanks... Tried it, found the widgets, still no flashlight.

Looks like installing some apps also installs widgets for those apps. Yet another thing I should look into cleaning up.

One thing I must say is that (thankfully) there is no lack of useful info specifically for the S4 on the interwebs, despite the fact that this model is now considered by many to be a "fossil".

13. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Google Pixel 3A and all your troubles will be over.

14. Blackheart

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-pixel-3a,review-6452.html

Maybe next year when the Pixel 4 comes out and the 3As are relegated to the junk drawer.

My employer pays for my phone, and since I'm not exactly pushing this one to its limits, I'd rather not hit them up for the latest and greatest.