1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whats a good shelf stable ration bar

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by towguy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

Looking for a small shelf stable meal replacement bar for vehicle storage. Ideas?

2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Lifeboat rations supposedly have a long and stable shelf life, taste like graham crackers and don't dehydrate you.
    Various nutrition bars aimed at hikers (Clif bars, Kind bars, etc) also might be an option. I keep a couple of Clif Bars in my EDC pack in case I need a snack while I'm out and about.

Lastly, while it's not a small bar, I keep a few freeze-dried Mountain House meals and a case of bottled water in my truck just in case of an unexpected stay away from home. Regardless of what food you keep stored in your vehicle it'd be wise to have a case of water, or a few gallon jugs, as well. You can go far longer without food than without water.

WillAdams and towguy like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree about the Lifeboat Rations,they are designed for terrible storage conditions and don't ever have enough taste that it can go bad really.

The problem with all of the energy bars is that none are really shelf stable if made with natural ingredients and without preservatives.

I too try to keep a case of water in the cars and usually a few MRE meals or several MRE items together in a bag with other stuff that I might need if it comes down to it.

I too have Mountain House packs in my kits but then you also need a stove and to use some of your water to bring them back to life.

The things with normal shelf life can be great though as long as I keep rotating through them AND do not go through them without replacement for the times that I really do need them,just ask Mr Murphy about that!

towguy and echo victor like this.
  4. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

Ive got mre's, but wife wont eat them. Lifeboat rations seem to be hard to find lately or are way over priced right now. I want to stash something in the wifes car for just in case.

5. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

From Mountain House's blog:

The only need for a stove is if you want a hot meal and/or want it cooked faster, which is not entirely necessary (though certainly desirable). I keep a cook set in my truck bag but admit I don't have a stove of any kind. Been meaning to rectify that.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't imagine that they are any worse than some MRE when cold,but them again there is a whole lot that I can not imagine lately that seems to be going on too!

I do have a stove option in every BOB in each car but I also keep MRE parts in them all for instant energy which I think will be the call most of the time.
    I order from a place that sells the MRE items ala cart which just makes more sense to me than getting only the entire package meal on many different levels.

towguy and Sentinel-14 like this.
  7. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

NRG-5 from Germany. Refugee ration wheat biscuit. 25 year shelf life, opened they last at least a month in the car with no degredation, probably longer. Very dry, no real flavor, balanced nutrition and vitamins, the product was formulated to be a healthy sole source of nutrition for months on end. I always have a daily ration in the car, 500 gram packet = 9 biscuits = 2400 calories. Three biscuits is a full meal.

chaosmagnet and towguy like this.
  8. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

Sounds like hardtack..keep you alive, but you aint happy about it. I will have to track it down, im curious about these now.

9. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

I keep stoves in the trucks. Even have a Coleman propane single burn with fuel in my Tacomas sleep platform. Wife wont do that. So thinking cliff bars and jerky for her.

10. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

If you have a winco grocery store near you, they sell mre components and long term dry goods.

ran23 likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have never even heard of a Winco store.

12. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

Its a employee owned store theres a few in the western part of country. Kinda nice store. Prices are very decent. And store brand is good quality to boot. And a 5 gallon bucket of honey was 50 bucks.

13. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

So picked up some kind bars, will test in my truck.