1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What would you do with a unused Pelican 1200 case?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by bushidomosquito, Oct 24, 2010.

1. bushidomosquito

bushidomosquito Removed from forum.

I have this case that I call my Yellican case that I bought to keep a gun and some ammo in so I could grab it and go and have everything in one place. After a while I realized that Pelican cases are overkill storage for something as tough and waterproof as a Glock so the gun went into something much lighter and softer and I have an empty expensive dry box just begging for some cool and useful contents. The stainless shackles are for a paracord cobra stitch shoulder strap that I took off.

My first thought was a first aid kit but I have a nice one with all I'll need in a small 1020 case and a big one in it's own Pelican-like dry case. I don't have any expensive electronics that need that kind of protection and everything else I have is either tough enough to stand on it's own or living in another EDC pack or BOB of some sort. I'm looking for that thing I haven't thought of yet, some kind of kit I can put together in this case that I may not have realized I need or wanted yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MattW

MattW Loaded Pockets

Geiger Counter? Pre-fabbed molitov coctails?

3. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Do any of your kits contain a radio, weather, or emergency band radio scanner?
    Mayhaps you need this to be your electronics/comm.s case.
    A camera, GPS, flashlight, long-distance two-way, batteries/chargers for all... Maybe consider leaving/maintaining the ammo storage capabilities for safe long-term storage of ammo.
    Perhaps you could get new foam and turn it into your 'collectable sharps' box (if you have such a collection).
    If you're looking for a hobby, maybe GeoCaching would keep your interest. A box like that would make a good 'Caching Kit.' Containing your GPS, camera, paper logs(some people don't get into the paper), trinkets to leave (an integral part of 'caching'), etc.

If I were in your position, I'd consider making it a 'vehicle box.' A box you keep in the vehicle for emergent situations. FAK, emergency blanket, signal kit, eating kit, fire kit, entertainment kit (cards, harmonica, etc.) repair tools/tapes/fasteners, water purification system (tabs/iodine), non-perishable sustainable energy snacks, a good knife, a good light, and generally 'good' tools you might need while 'surviving' in the environment you're most likely to find yourself in on any given day. Basically a box that'll keep you happy and comfortable if/when you get stuck somewhere. Something you can rely on to contain EVERYTHING you might need in just about any situation. A grab-n-go option that reduces/eliminates those "Do I have everything?" moments that can really eat up a lot of time and mental energy. If you know you don't have to spend any time thinking about what is or isn't in the box and if not in the box, where is it?... You're free to think about what/where/how you're going to fix the situation you might find yourself in.

I hope someone sparks your imagination and you end up happy with your 'new' kit.
    If not, you could always work out a trade/sale with me. I think I'd love to have a case like that.
    Hope I helped, and good luck.

-Dean.

4. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I've thought of putting together a car kit but I'm concerned about the heat and what it would do to the contents. Stuff like emergency blankets and non-perishables would be okay. But electronic items and batteries wouldn't last very long in the Hawaiian heat. I guess I would have to really work out a list of items that I could utilize and would last indefinitely stored in my vehicle.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

5. sloopy70

sloopy70 Loaded Pockets

same thing happened to me... I fell i n love with pelican cases and now have 3 of the clear/yellow micros and a 1200 and really have no justifiable reason for having them lol but I do love them... I made a 1010 into a small first aid kit for my lunchbox, other than that I have a few cases laying around waiting for purpose...

6. bushidomosquito

bushidomosquito Removed from forum.

I'd trade it and 2 of the Outdoor Life blueish clear dryboxes, 1 large and 1 small, all three barely used, for a Maxpedition Neatfreak. Any color but black.

7. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Don't have a NeatFreak, but I've got several 'swag' bags. Pharmaceutical company's used to give them out like candy and my mother amassed quite the collection over the years. Mostly single strap messenger bags. I'll get some pics later so they're available. I've got a few sharps and random bits of gear I'm willing to trade. Let me know if anything else would make a fair/suitable trade.

8. Geek_Bag_AZ

Geek_Bag_AZ Empty Pockets

I did a time capsule 2 years ago. I was more interested in knowing how long with this case last in 4ft of dirt. I plan on digging it up in another 8 yrs. (thats if we are here that long... lol)

9. RvdH

RvdH Empty Pockets

Maybe use it for an extensive first aid kit for in the car.

10. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Good size for battery storage.

11. Maml

Maml Loaded Pockets

Why not send it over to South Africa...I'll fill it with whatever your heart desires; and then send it back.

Promise.:agree: :dance:

12. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I've got several of the small to medium sized Pelican cases that aren't full all of the time, others that stay full. I made one into a camcorder case with the foam cut to fit. Another one holds my old portable MiniDisc players, mics, cases, blank discs, etc. I often use one to carry portable electronic gear, iPods, cameras, headphones, etc when I go on trips.