1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What watch to buy?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by anonimouse, Dec 29, 2013.

1. anonimouse

anonimouse Loaded Pockets

Hi guys!

I've been wanting to get a new watch to semi-retire my gshock. The things Im looking for in the watch

DIGITAL with BIG digits
    Good looking
    super sturdy
    if possible a lot of good features like ABC watches.
    and in the 200 USD (MAX) price range..
    and if possible SOLAR POWERED

So far I've been looking at the
    Suunto Vector
    G-shock MUDMAN (Latest model)
    and the Protrek watch (latest) which isnt in my price range.

from the 3 listed above, I really like the protrek just cause the design is awesome. simple yet it has the classy feel without it looking that bulky and it really looks pretty

The suunto vector looks pretty okay, but ive been reading bad reviews about it and I dont really know much about suunto

i know i wont go wrong with the g-shock mudman but its design doesnt appeal to me. It used to but for some reason I've started to not like how it looks...

If you guys could suggest awesome watches in the price range that has awesome features then that'd be great!

Thanks! Exact models and even pictures will be reall appreciated! thanks! also, if you can put short reviews on the watches i've mentioned and also reviews on the watches you suggest then even more awesome!

I'm a starting prepper college student from the philippines! Check my stuff out in my profile! Not much but i will appreciate the help especially that I am prepping alone meaning, I dont have much funds to get things!

again, THANKS

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I like the Suunto display better - and it is a quality piece - but when it comes to solar, Casio is king.

Between the Protrek and the Mudman, I would go with the Mudman. I plan on picking up aG9300-1 Mudman... it looks a lot like my Frogman.

3. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Suunto Core....Great watch....not solar though...but I carry an extra batt and o-ring on the band.

Can be found used for $150-$200.

4. anonimouse

anonimouse Loaded Pockets

Okay so here's another dilemma i ran into.

Gshock GA-1000. It doesn't meet the criteria i just gave but it just looks so beautiful. It's analog/digital watch. with awesome light compass. not solar but it just looks awesome something that is both functional and stylish which i think is cool. plus it's a g. meaning it's gonna be sturdy!

so final question...

GA1000, Mudman, SuuntoVector? I'd really want to get it for new years. so yea.

5. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I have a Protrek PRG-50. Had it since 2006. Still strong as the day I got it. Made 2 Iraq deployments, so you can't go wrong with a Protrek. I found these on Amazon that I think would easily fit your likes:

Casio PRG260-1 Black Pro-Trek
    Casio Paw1500-1v Pathfinder Atomic Tough Solar Watch

Of the two I would go with the PRG260 on looks alone. But if you want the Atomic feature, then I'd go with the PAW1500.

6. M-14

M-14 Loaded Pockets

My go-to watch for many years: Timex Flix.

7. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Casio G-Shock GW6900-1 (Solar & Atomic)

[​IMG]

MCPOWoller likes this.
  8. OEM1

OEM1 Loaded Pockets

I've been looking into getting a solar atomic Casio for a couple years now but they are just soo big. I prefer a smaller watch, especially if its going to be banged around or see hard use. That being said I'd still love to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9. OEM1

OEM1 Loaded Pockets

I'm between a Casio GW7900B-1 Gshock or a Suunto Vector. I like that the Casio GShock is Solar/Atomic, and I like that the Suunto has thermometer, etc. I'm torn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

10. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

For under $200, I would check out the latest Casio Pathfinder PRG270, it has the latest 3rd gen ABC sensors and its selling for well under $200 on Amazon.

For just over $200, you can get a different body style and add atomic feature and go with the PRW3000, which I like the it better than the PRG270.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  11. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I went for a prg270 and while i like it a lot it has a few issues, mainly the altimeter can and did go a little crazy with shifts in the air pressure. I live by the sea and the air pressure around here varies a lot more than i land as i've come to understand. One day im on street level and it says 20m above sea level, next day barometer is down at 900 something and im suddenly 400m up in the air while standing in the same place.
    Havent brought it inland yet so it needs further testing :)
    Thermometer is also affected by body heat some so if youre looking for super accurate readings wear it on your packpack for a while before checking.

12. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, you might like to locate a GW-309. Larger numerals, solar powered, radio-signal controlled, good backlight, water resistant to 200M...

[​IMG]

MinistryOfTruth likes this.