1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What watch purchase had you feeling sick afterwards?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by _STL_15_, Dec 31, 2009.

1. caracal

caracal Empty Pockets

I bought a Casio G shock with minutes for the time , very complicated to set for time and date and I couldn't read the time properly or the measurements of the chronograph .. so I sold it to a friend.

2. tirat

tirat Empty Pockets

A G-Shock MIRB Frogman and G-Shock DW-5000 jdm reissue all $400+ paid for within a couple of hours of each other.

Those two purchases had me thinkin' :brickwall:... I could've bought a used but decent gun, especially since I only have a plinker right now.

3. StorminMormon

StorminMormon Empty Pockets

Ouch...ouch...ouch. I've done that. I bought a stupid 24" LCD monitor when a simple 19" wide screen (for less than half) would have sufficed - and like you said, I could have probably made a pretty nice down payment on a gun. I'm sure the 24" LCD will come in handy in a survival situation though...right?

:-X

4. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

I bought a Suunto Core Regular Black (Oct '09) and whilst it's a great watch and gets a lot of wrist time it's just not as accurate as I'd like. The Alti-Baro and compass are very accurate, it's just the timekeeping that is poor. As an example, my Core loses 8 seconds in 6 weeks. I have a G-Shock 9200MBJ-1JF that lost only 1 second over that same 6 week period....and that was with atomic sync turned off.

Also, the face isn't very well protected and the screen isn't sapphire crystal resulting in a small scratch.

Not sick exactly but a little disappointed.

[​IMG]

5. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

OOPS sorry off topic.

6. freeride

freeride Loaded Pockets

Is it really that catastrophic that a watch loses a minute a year? How do you even NOTICE a minute a year?

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'm still trying to figure out how it's possible to notice a loss of 1 second in 6 weeks.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

By comparing to one of the atomic reference clocks - set it accurately and compare it after whatever period you choose.

Even 8 seconds in 6 weeks seems pretty good to me though, thats a gain of 1.5 seconds a week - where do you really need such accuracy as even a year after setting it you are only going to be a minute and a half out at most... (I believe the specs for most quartz watches calls for it being within 15 seconds a month, so you are still well within that at 8 seconds over 6 weeks)

9. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

I never said I can't live with losing 8 secs per 6 weeks. I said I was disappointed in a more expensive timepiece not being as accurate as a significantly cheaper alternative. For reference, I set both watches to a GPS time signal and let them run over 6 weeks.

As for can I notice a difference? Not in everyday use but I'm a little anal and I know that the difference is there. At work, I like to keep the LifePak 15 sync'd with my watch. This way I can accurately record drug administration times, defib times and interventions times in relation to what I am seeing on the ECG. I find it easier to look at my watch and write down the time + drug/ defib/ intervention. In a prolonged cardiac arrest for example, I can see my cumulative dosages, shocks etc at a glance. This however, doesn't rely on the watch being accurate, just syncing the LP15 time at the start of shift.

10. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

I almost pulled the trigger on a Traser H3- glad I didn't; I don't like the thought of the Trit tubes wearing ou.-(not for that expense)

Nice enough watches but something more practical seems more appropriate for me,YMMV.

I know I would have regretted that purchase. Just thinking about that purchase has me feeling sick. :green:

11. lostaggie

lostaggie Loaded Pockets

I got a crazy deal on a TAG that should have $2,100.00 before tax. The store was closing down and consolidating into one in the Phoenix area so they needed to reduce their inventory. I did a quick check to make sure they were authorized to sell TAG and they were. The sales dude gave it to me for $700 out the door.

It still makes me sick when I think about what I spent because I couldn't really avoid at the time but I couldn't pass up that deal. Once in a lifetime as they say. I guess if I need money, I could sell at a profit.

12. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

This Smith & Wesson Navigator. I think it was around $200. It looked awesome when I got it; I thought I found my watch for the next ten years. I thought I was getting an all tritium watch, but it turned out not to have tritium on the second hand, just luminous paint. What a bummer! I need that second hand! I should have done my homework better. Anyway, had I known that I would not have bought it. Now I am looking for something pretty much identical but with tritium on the second hand. This watch will be for sale as soon as I buy something else to replace it.

[​IMG]

13. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple of high price tag watches but they didn't leave me feeling sick at all. The sick stomach ones are the 2 replacement Pro TrekPRG 60-T I have had to buy. First one went missing from my luggage during an internal flight in Russia and the 2nd one I left in an airport toilet in Lungi when I was deeting up. The sick stomach is of course added to by the lecture from the wife on the second occasion.

14. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

Tissot T-touch bought it on Ebay for 425, did not like the strap went to get a new one found out the strap is 250, last night went to ask about battery changing as it can only be done in store found out they have to send it out and the cost is 75 and 3 weeks, told the other half I may have to buy a new tissot for a back up and she hit the roof.... she has never done that before, hit the roof like that, she was pretty hot over that one
    so I think I am just going to shut up and send it in....
    so that left me feeling rather ill...

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Don't take this the wrong way but, I can't blame her (or anyone) for getting upset. Seriously. . . $250 just to replace the band? Someone forgot to tell Tissot that snob appeal is no longer nearly as trendy as it used to be.

16. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

Oh I agree well at least that is what I am told.... seriously though I think that is pretty silly as well, same with the battery change deal
    I like the watch and I got a great deal on it, If i had to buy it in a store I never would have bought it, but it is a handy and functional watch
    just not a cheap watch, and from what I have heard Tissot is a division of Swatch

17. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

Now I feel even worse about my new purchase Im making. A local dealer has a used Rolex that I have fell in love with. So im going to part with my Tag to support my Rolex purchase. If anyone is looking for a Tag Heuer AquaRacer Quartz Chrono let me know.

18. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

The battery of my titanium T-Touch has recently run out after about 3 years. My usual shop replaced it while I was waiting like for my other quartz watches and I have been charged 5 Euro ($7) as usual.
    Maybe you have to ask somewhere else ...

[​IMG]

19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I got my Hamilton back on Tuesday and so far so good. The bezel works fine now but they replaced the date wheel and day wheel for some reason. The old ones were returned with the watch. Hopefully it'll work well from now on.

20. retrosurfer

retrosurfer Loaded Pockets

I have a real weakness for watches My daily wear is a Bell & Ross but I have a few extra's if I need them.

[​IMG]