1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What watch purchase had you feeling sick afterwards?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by _STL_15_, Dec 31, 2009.

1. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

Pretty straight forward. Whether it was regret or just feel like puking because of how much you spent?

Mine is a Tag Heuer AquaRacer. I went from buying 30 dollar G Shocks to 100 Dollar Invicta's. And then the bug just hit me and I dropped 1500 on a Tag. I felt really sick to my stomach.

2. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

2005, 10 large on an engagement ring. Now divorced, still stings just a little.

3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

$150 for a silver-faced Revo watch.

A few years ago, I knew almost nothing about quality watches.

4. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

The key difference in dropping a chuck of change on a watch is that you will be giving that watch to your kids - good watches last forever.

5. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I have never bought a watch and felt sick after. About 8 years ago, I dropped close to 3K on a Tag that was my dream TAG. I still have it and love it.

6. crawdad62

crawdad62 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Casio G-Shock MRG7100 and didn't like it from the get go. Ended up trading it off.

7. dejthmonk

dejthmonk Empty Pockets

104 dollars on a fossil arkitecht. At the time I didn't care. It is a chrono that now needs to be repaired may only be $20 or so but still. Now when i look at it I have regrets.

8. Spencer Lee

Spencer Lee Loaded Pockets

Well now, i had a Rolex Submariner 5513 up for sale and did'nt get much interest. It was priced competitively but the time was wrong. Anyway, i was offered a trade of two other watches and some money. The trade was a little biased toward the other guy but i needed the money. Anyway, he sent the money and one watch but the other was away getting a new crystal fitted and would'nt be available for another 6 weeks. He had a good rep and i thought i'd go with it as a Speedmaster MK4.5 was a nice watch. While waiting for it to turn up my financial situation became worse and i found a guy who wanted to buy it. I had been assured it was in mint condition and had seen pictures. WEll, it turned up and looked like it had been kicked down the stairs! I was dinked, scratched and scraped. I got onto the guy who wanted to buy it and apologised as there was no way i would pass it on. Then got onto the originator and asked for the Rolex back. I illustrated my displeasure only to find he had flipped it as it was not what he was after. I 'negotiated' a payment from him which would cover the cost of the Speedy being refurbished but it did'nt make up for my time and he monked for ages about being ripped off. I'm out of pocket and felt sick to my stomach but, hey, you live and learn!

9. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

i now have the good fortune to have several >$1000 watches. the only time i am uncomfortable is from the moment i purchase the watch to the moment it is covered under my insurance policy.

i have never had to turn in a claim, thank god, but having the expensive purchases insured gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Could we get a pic of that Bad Boy? Please. :)

11. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

tower, I official pronounce you the winner. Sorry dude.

12. k2mykel

k2mykel Empty Pockets

Citizen Skyhawk watch. I returned it once before the warrenty was over. After, it was sent back twice and I finally just quit wearing it and bought another brand.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Actually, now that I really think about it; I've returned quite a few watches. I reget the Revo more because I kept it. It's one of those watches where you can't just pop on an aftermarket strap if the original one gets damaged.

Other watches included a $200 Victorinox model, and a $450 Vic model. But the most disappointing one was a Hamilton Kinetic model with a custom strap. (Should have gotten the quartz version of the same model).

14. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Breitling Professional Emergency....it made my wife more comfortable during the recent wars, but way too much money

15. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I have a Casio Sea Pathfinder that I gradually grew to hate. Instead of an altimeter it had a depth gauge, which was useless for me (or anyone, I think). It had a barometer, but you had to press a button to see it, and then you couldn't see the time. It had a titanium bracelet, so the only way you could adjust the fit was by adding or removing links.

I now have a Casio PRW-1500, which I'm very happy with. The SPF is sitting on a cupboard, partly as backup and partly because I am curious how long it will last. It's solar powered so hopefully will be OK for 5 or 10 years. It's not really a terrible watch, and I wore it for a few years.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You guys keep reminding me of the old watches I used to have.

When younger, I wore a Casio analog watch with a small digital display at the 6 o'clock position. (No clue as to model designation). Growing up, it was my only watch. It served me well actually . . . until the alarm feature started malfunctioning over a decade ago. One day, at work; got so fed up that I took it off my wrist and tossed it into the waste basket. The handyman found it, asked if I was sure I wanted to toss it. Oh yeah, I was sure. That watch is also the reason I hate digital displays. By the time I tossed it, most of the digital numbers had vanished due to water getting inside the watch, and screwing up the electronics.

17. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I spent $400 on a Seiko kinetic. It looked really nice but man. That is a lot of money for something I don't need, I didn't like how flashy it looked, and I was afraid to wear it because I didn't want to hurt it. I also really could have used the money for things I needed/wanted more. I finally sold it and took a $150 loss in the process.

18. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

image link
    This is my nightmare. I'm on my 2nd one, the first was replaced by the warranty because the watchband broke while I was standing in my kitchen and it landed on the crystal onto the tile floor. Now the bezel on the second one is stuck so the jeweler sent it off to Hamilton today. If I could have have my $500 back I'd get a Strider SnG and forget about a fancy watch.

19. dogtorlam

dogtorlam Empty Pockets

Probably my first Omega Speedmaster...but it's a classic and I'll never look back!

[​IMG]

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A bit confused. What was it about your Speedmaster that you regret? The price or the performance?