1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What watch did your father wear?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Southpaw, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

My father used to wear a ultra-flat Skagen my mon gave away, a digital Casio with double stacked screens that my sister wears now and mostly an Omega Speedmaster he treated himself to with his first work-pay. I sometimes wear it now.

[​IMG]

plk7, Lynx, BklynBoy and 4 others like this.
  2. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

I remember him with a Hamilton, but this one is one of the two I still have. I lost him 20 years ago. I think he said hello when I pulled this out of a box a few minutes ago and the second hand started moving. I have not opened the box in years. Cool.

[​IMG]

plk7, Monocrom, BklynBoy and 5 others like this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not just with watches or knives..but I love that these pieces reminds us of someone important person in our lives at one point. Brings us good memories. I hope my kids do the same with me bc they always catch me fiddling with my gear.

nick nitro, Dok J and warchild like this.
  4. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

My father hasn't worn a watch a day in his life....he just seems to somehow know what time it is....it's really strange.

warchild likes this.
  5. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Loaded Pockets

Nice! I am currently waiting for my Omega Speedmaster (with a White dial) to return from being repaired. My Omega was what my father wore as well.

Dok J likes this.
  6. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

My dad had an old bulova hacking navigator watch that he wore all during the war flying B-17's over Germany. I have the watch now along with his other memorabilia, silver wings, and the flag from his casket. As a kid I don't remember him ever wearing another watch. I guess getting somewhere on time had lost its significance after all that.

7. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

A nicer one than mine - he had (and still has) a Tudor Oyster Prince. It needs a new crystal but is otherwise pristine.

8. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

My Dad wore a GP too. I replaced the crystal and had the case buffed to a satin finish. Old family stuff is cool! :)

[​IMG]

Jeff

plk7 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Dad has always worn an Omega Speedmaster (his parents bought it for him when he turned 21)
    he gets it serviced every 10 years or so, and only recently had the bracelet on it replaced (which actually looks awful, the watch has a nice worn matte patina, and the bracelet is still shiny and polished)
    i believe its the same model that was worn on the moon

Cobra 6 Actual and Southpaw like this.
  10. Sami Alam

Sami Alam Loaded Pockets

11. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

Swiss army

it's a drawer in my room. One day while we were hunting we were discussing a friends windfall from a recently deceased relative. My dad pointed at a ring he had on and said "when I die you will inherit this ring (pause) and this watch" and so I did.

I will probably tell my daughter (s) that story one day and sweeten the pot with my BM 710 or Reeves umnumzaan

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  12. ericjohn

ericjohn Loaded Pockets

When I was small (like 1990) he had one of the Digital Casios with a metal case and band. I think it might have been one of the F Series, but I am not sure. It had a light, stopwatch, calendar and alarm. I lost it unfortunately when I was 10. In 2009 for father's day, I bought him another Casio with the same features, but it was made of resin. Basically, it is the same model that terrorists use to make timers for ieds.

13. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

My dad was the same, bought quality and kept it working all his life. I remember he had a cracked watch (that was still waterproof) and didnt use jewels but ball bearings he said. My dad got that from his Dad. He loaned it to me when I started working.
    But I really remember him, always wearing his Rolex dive watch (sub mariner). Unfortunately I didnt get it when he died either. It vanished into his new wifes family (along with his guns and many other things) I would have liked to pass it to my son.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

:nah_disagree:

A cheap digital watch with the band cut off. It was thin, had no other functions as I recall, and dad carried it in his pocket as basically ... a modern-day pocket-watch. Honestly, it ticks me off. Some guys have memories of their dad's old Rolex, or Omega, or Longines, or something with more ... Okay, something just more than a cheap, plastic, digital watch.

One day after I was no longer a kid, but many years ago; dad spotted a gorgeous, thin, gold-plated, quartz, Wittnauer in a Macy's display case. Might have been Bloomingdale's. It was on a nice, tan, ostrich strap. Dad fell in love and had to have it. Told mom he wanted it for his Birthday that year. She bought it for him. He has worn it non-stop since then. A simple 2-hander with no date feature. Incredibly thin. He still wears it on the very same strap. The gold plating has flaked off in a couple of spots. But, he loves it.

Would have been nice if he had worn something on his wrist while I was growing up.

snowkiwi and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

[​IMG]
    I found my little treasure chest of two of my dads older watches.

Edit: I had to wait till I took the photo to zoom in and see the name or model - "Eterna-matic":rolleyes_revamped: I don't know much about it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited by snowkiwi, Aug 31, 2013
    plk7 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Don't know too much about the brand other than Eterna is well-respected.

Stop by Watchuseek.com if you want to learn more from other members who are more knowledgeable.

17. Ronin87

Ronin87 Loaded Pockets

He wore a Pobeda for quite a while and lately a Seiko.

18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

plk7 likes this.
  19. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]my dad's looked like this. A British pilot gave it to him during the war.

Sent by Owl Post

Monocrom and cmo like this.
  20. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Can't remember, but it wasn't anything fancy. Some kind of basic Casio or Citizen quartz watch with a metal bracelet.