1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What was your go-from 9mm ammunition and WHY?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 0dBm, Apr 17, 2017.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Sparked by this thread, I offer this discussion. This one will likely not get much attention since most younger CCW holders don't have much comparison to draw upon.

The QC of many of the recent ammunition products are very good. Most of those that I found unacceptable are no longer offered.

As follows are some that I have used over the last 5 decades.

"Ball"
    Full metal jacket (FMJ) & standard issue for many of the world's military. QC WAS very spotty. Feeding is excellent due to the projectile profile. Many still train with it. I only train with what I carry and have transitioned away from this decades ago.

NATO
    Very "hot" (high velocity). Used with some "sub-machine guns." I damaged a Browning Hi-Power and a S&W Model 59 using this. Never again in a handgun.

One used in the FBI Miami shoot-out of 1986
    Decent QC, but insufficient velocity. Was a costly mistake for the Bureau.

Frangibles
    Once favored by the US "sky marshals" of the 1970s. Horrible accuracy even at the short distances for which it was invented.

Wide-mouth hollowpoint
    UNRELIABLE feeding due to the distended cavity. RISKY!!

Heavyweight bullet - 147 grain
    If you've actually seen the lack of tissue destruction in a human, you will see why the efficacy is lacking.

Last edited by 0dBm, Apr 17, 2017
    #1 0dBm, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I actually carry .45 but the wife carries a 9mm. JHP for both. Although you list them as risky due to feeding, we've both found that that Federal feeds fine in our guns. About once a quarter we do a few drills using the ammo in our carry mags to make sure they still feed and to make sure we get some practice in using what we carry. After 8-10 years of doing it, we are reasonably sure that the ammo works for us. Lots of brands and profiles our there so there should be an option for just about every gun.

3. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I do not have the extended experience of the original poster. I grew up in the early HydraShock period, which I gather was the beginning of the improving effectiveness for 9mm. My first 9mms were SIG sauer and a Browning High Power.... Ironically the HP fed hollow points better (it was a newer Mark III SFS).

Rummaging in my ammo box, I have an old box of blistering 90gr CorBon. That super light, super fast type of loading is back with several boutique ammo makers. That does not make it a good decision. Nor have I been impressed with the 147gr options. I have a fondness for the tradional weights of 115-124gr.

These days, I do not find much that will not feed in a 9mm Glock. They seem boringly reliable with quality major name factory ammo (excepting the bargain basement plinking ammo).

4. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

In 1984 my department issued patrol officers 357 145gr Silvertip hollowpoints for our issue S&W 66 revolvers and the sergeants and higher up had transitioned to the S&W 439 loaded with 115gr Silvertip hollowpoints and the world was fine.

Then in 1986 the Miami Shootout occurred and the perceived failure of the Silvertip started a knee jerk reaction as the details spread throughout the police world. Our department by now had just finished the transition to S&W 459 for patrol and the command staff and detectives kept the 439's but we switched in late 87 to the Federal 9BP 115gr JHP.

This was before the ballistic gel era in our department but both the firearms instructor and armorer in there testing concluded there wasn't any real difference between the Silvertip and Federal loading but the Silvertip was now the equivalent of Voldemort in the police world the bullet who shall not be mentioned.

The Federal load proved to be similar in performance to the Silvertip in real world use and soldiered on in our department and most of our county until 1991 when we transitioned to the Sig P228 and the Federal Hydra Shok load. The Hydra Shock was the first exotic load but we had some issues with the S&W's reliably feeding the new load but as officers were issued there Sigs they also were issued the new round.

I left the department shortly after that transition but I know the Hydra Shok performed nicely until around 2000 when they upgraded to the Gold Dot in the 124+P and as far as I know it's still the issue round there.

I personally carried the Hydra Shok until I had a chance to test the 147gr Gold Dots personally in a wide range of tests and it's now my go to load in all my carry guns from my Walther PPS M2, Sig P225-A1 and Sig P320c or I guess it's a P320 compact/sub compact hybrid as I've mated the compact frame to the subcompact slide for the dimensions I prefer in my carry gun.

This thread did get me to open up some of my old ammo cans and I see that I still have about 60 Silvertips in stock along with about 200 Hydra Shoks and surprisingly 350 rounds of Federal 9BP still with the $9.99 for a box of 50 price tags on the box along with about 20 boxes of Federal 55gr 5.56 at $2.99 a box.

ran23 likes this.
  5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I know I should be shooting my 9mm, but when I moved out of CA, all I had were Hydra-Shok in 124 and 135. M59, M5906.

6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I carry gold dot, train with FMJ of the same weight. I used to carry Glaser safety slugs, but not having anything to train with at the same weight, I decided to not carry them anymore (Still have a full box, :censored: things were expensive.)

7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Go from: Federal 9BP. Why: It was issued ammo where I used to work. I don't work there now.

ran23 likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Based on testing on collagen (not gelatin), that is the conclusion of several who tested those two products. Their conclusion was that they simply dod not have enough velocity to increase the efficacy on human targets.

I did't care for the Silvertips. The variation in the measured velocities round-to-round was simply unacceptable. The QC at Winchester has vastly improved since then; however the more-pronounced opening still makes that bullet profile feeding too unreliable in the my customized Hi-Power that I own and continue to carry on occasion.

The original Federal 9BP also lacked the velocity for self-defense and would not have been any better at the FBI Miami tragedy; however the QC on that product was so much better that it was simply the most accurate load in my Hi-Power.

I haven't tested the recent Silvertip; however, I continue to use the upgraded 9BP in my Hi-Power which is now loaded to a nominal 1150 fps.

After Miami, Federal offers the LE-only 9mm 115-grain 9BPLE at a nominal 1290 fps. I get well over the 1300 fps from my Hi-Power. I understand that the Silvertip in that bullet weight is also at the 1300 fps level. These those loads are what the agents at Miami should have been carrying. Unlike the contrarian "magic" bullet argument, it is the increased velocity that now makes them more efficacious on human targets.

9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Went From: XTP's
    To: Gold Dots or HST's

No reason in particular. I believe XTP's are good bullets, but I'm able to get GD's and HST's for less. Which means I can shoot them more often.

For plinking and range fodder, I'm not brand loyal. I just avoid steel-case ammo.

10. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

The most recent generation of 147 grain loads is very good. After seeing the results for the HST 147 and 147 +p, I recently switched to them. For the past 15 years, all of my loads have been either Winchester LE or FEderal HST. Over the years I have progressed in my carry loads from 115, to 124, to 127+p+ (HK USP only) to 147 grain. I have not yet tried the newer 150 that is designed for short barrels.

I practice with Freedom Munitions reloads and they are just fine. Given how many thousands of rounds of practice ammo I use, I cannot justify the cost of premium SD ammo for all my practice, but i regularly switch out my carry ammo and shoot the ones about to be retired at my practice sessions.

11. EldoEsq

EldoEsq Loaded Pockets

What is a wide - mouth hollow point? Is this different from a regular HP? It must be because just about any semi auto currently manufactured feeds regular HP's flawlessly (even Taurus)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

12. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I am primarily a competition shooter... USPSA and multigun (3 gun)... I hand load 9mm with either a coated 135 from Bayou or 147 Precision Delta fmj round nose to make power factor.... most of my shooting is now done with a 9mm carbine... my carry pistol is a G42 which is loaded with XTPs... the G17 in the car is loaded with 124 Gold Dots...

anecdotal... prior to the first Clinton ban, I did some experimentation with hand loads just in case hollow point ammunition was hard to get... got a 115 XTP to 1400fps out of a G19 with VV 3N37....

#12 les snyder, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

speer gold dot 200-grain flying ashtray
    The ogive of the bullet is wide. It caused feeding problems in some pistols because of the shape. It works better in large-calibers when used in revolvers. I once carried a short-barreled 5-round ChartersArms .44 Bulldog with a 200-grain bullet loaded to 1050 fps.