1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What was your first multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Timothy Sutton, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Mr. Gadget

Mr. Gadget Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Mine was this Gerber that I bought for myself at a yardsale for $1 almost 4 years ago. Back than I was in shop class at school and we were allowed to bring our own tools as long as there were no knives. So I snapped the knives and saw off it and ever since I haven't gotten around to sending it into Gerber for warranty.

Rotwang likes this.
  2. Rotwang

Rotwang Loaded Pockets

My first multitool was a Victorinox SAK in the early 80s when I was about 10 vears old. In the mid-nineties I bought a Leatherman PST. Lost it two years ago at the airport in Barcelona.

3. socalsecurity

socalsecurity Loaded Pockets

First was A well used PST from my dad.

4. TheGizm0

TheGizm0 Loaded Pockets

My first multitool was a SAK, but I don't know the model. Something along the lines of a Climber. Late 80's. It was a gift from my dad. We both had an unhealthy obsession with Macguyver at the time.

GRH likes this.
  5. Montag84

Montag84 Uber Prepared

First was a SAK (think it was a Wenger Champ, had a bunch of layers and magnifying glass, but I cannot find it for the life of me), but still have the Leatherman my Dad gave me 18 years ago or so. Will never get rid of it, maybe pass it down someday.

6. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

My first multitool was the same BSA knife that ShadowE posted. Later, when I was around 13, my dad got me of those monstrous SAKs like BravoGrrrl mentionedwith the full size fork and spoon, and so many blades it was essentially useless. Dad tried to tell me that, but a scoutmaster from another troop had one, and it was the neatest thing ever. I *HAD* to have one.

BravoGrrrl and Devon Scout like this.
  7. resq1192

resq1192 Loaded Pockets

My first SAK was a Cub Scout knife given to me by my dad in '84. My first plier-tool MT was a Bucktool. I sold the buck tool to buy a Leatherman. My Cub Scout knife is now waiting for my oldest nephew to turn 8 ....

Devon Scout likes this.
  8. Dadpool

Dadpool Uber Prepared

Mine was a SAK Huntsman, a gift from my parents. It got stolen at summer camp, so they replaced it with the same model; I still have that one. 20+ years on, it's still going strong. It currently lives in my BOB.

9. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

If a SAK is considered a mult-tool, my first was a Victorinox Camper, circa 1972. If one counts a multi-tool as one that has folding pliers, blades, screwdrivers, etc., it would be the original Leatherman. Regardless, both are still around here somewhere.

10. Uchuujin

Uchuujin Empty Pockets

SAK of some sort.. not sure where it is right now...

lost my first leatherman to Japanese Airport Security when i forgot to take it out of my carry on... replaced with a LM Wave which i still (miraculously) haven't lost.

11. BravoGrrrl

BravoGrrrl Loaded Pockets

SAK from my grand dad, I think. I must have been about 6. I learned how to get cut and pinched. Then how to sharpen. A dull knife that is not oiled or maintained is more dangerous than a sharp, oiled and well used tool. Grand dad was a cool dude.

12. Cory

Cory Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG G4 using tapatalk

BravoGrrrl likes this.
  13. HeaveyDiesel

HeaveyDiesel Empty Pockets

The first multi tool i had was a tool similar to this one only way more rusty and had a huge crack going down the plastic handle. I saw it in my older brothers drawer, and like the 10 year old i was decided to take it hahaha. Oh man did i split my hand so many times with that mest up handle.[​IMG]

14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Same here really, it seemed like a huge thing back then, had a fork and spoon on either side too, it were so big and heavy that it use to fall out of its belt sheath. I soon got feed up of carrying that around,....to think how things have changed, there's no way that a kid could take that into schools now a days.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  15. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

SAK Artisan from the early 80's. Sadly I seem to have lost it :(

16. Gundose

Gundose EDC Junkie

I have had this Leatherman Micra for 10 years or so. I use it almost daily. In fact, I just used it to cut zip ties on a package for my wife ha!

[​IMG]

HeaveyDiesel likes this.
  17. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I was blessed enough to get cool gadgets at a young age. I believe my first SAK was a keychain sized Classic, but it could have been a Huntsman. I know I had multiples of both of those as they were lost, stolen, confiscated, etc over the years. The first ones were Christmas presents but later I ended up buying them with my allowance.

For what it's worth, I *still* find that the Huntsman and Classic are some of my favorite SAK models of all time. I carry a Classic every day on my car keys and I carry a Huntsman occasionally when I feel the need for a full sized SAK.

My first pliers based tool was either a SOG multitool (with the pliers that folded to the side) or a Gerber multiplier. I acquired both of these, along with a Victorinox Superchamp and a Spyderco Endura whilst I was in the army. These were my first serious EDC purchases.

The multitools got lost at some point, but I still have the Endura and Swisschamp. I do have a few newer Gerber multipliers I've picked up over the years, but these days I am more of a Leatherman fan. I have EDC'd a Leatherman KICK for the last seven years and love it. It's very much like the original PST but with more comfortable handles.

:p

Last edited by Slipjoint, Oct 7, 2015
    TheGizm0 likes this.
  18. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

My first SAK was a Victorinox Rucksack which I got from my parents (I think I was 9). That went with me everywhere. I can still see the scar from the stitches on my right thumb, twenty years later. And come to think of it, that is a bit weird since I'm right handed.

When i was 14 I got my first Leatherman (also a gift from my parents), a Sideclip, which changed my view on pocket-tools forever, and steered me towards pliers-based multitools. Sadly I left it somewhere a couple of years later, and it was gone when i came back for it. The Rucksack was also lost sometime during the last twenty years.

TheGizm0 likes this.
  19. creekster

creekster Loaded Pockets

Mine was a super tool probably have had it for about 15 to 20 years. Still in like new condition, sat in a drawer for many years.

TheGizm0 likes this.
  20. Pilotsupergrip

Pilotsupergrip Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My first and so far only SAK was Spartan that I got from my "backup grandpa" as I called him when I was a child (my grandma´s husband, not my real grandpa). The Vic has been in and out of my pockets for like 15 years now and its still going strong. I bought my first real MT few years back, the OHT. There is nothing it cant do, I even used it whole last summer in construction site and literally abused it. Last summer I also bought Wingman because OHT is a pain in the :censored: to carry around because of its size. I´ve been satisfied with Wingman and it rides my pocket every day