1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What was your first multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Timothy Sutton, Aug 18, 2015.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

My first SAK was a clone, probably chinese(also my first knife), like the Big ones, about 6 or 8 layers, all the trimmings, that my Dad got me when I was 9 or 10.

But since I don't consider SAKs multitools (sorry folks, its just a complicated knife IMO) I have to say my first multi was a Leatherman PST2 that i got a few years later.

Rotwang likes this.
  2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

No reason to demote SAKs. IMhO, both are multi-tools, but to avoid mis-communication, for the Leatherman(ish) type I use the term "pliers based" and for SAKs, "knife based." Without proper terminology, we have nothing to separate us from the lower life forms. :(

3. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Mine looked a little like this, wish I still had it [​IMG]

Sent from some random black hole

jerit, Rotwang, Cory and 1 other person like this.
  4. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This is my first multi tool given to me from my dad. Still have it and in great condition!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rotwang, Currawong and rkazooti like this.
  5. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

in the late 50s, I was a Scout... my next door neighbor was a retired machinist and gave me a pretty unique tool for the time.... there was a pair of pliers on the market that had a flat blade screwdriver on one arm, and an awl on the other... he reduced the diameter of the awl, and hand filed it to a Phillips point as well as thinning and contouring the jaws... he also modified a Chicago Cutlery butcher knife by grinding a clip point... which 50 years later, I found to be the "Nessmuk" profile... unfortunately, both have been lost over time

IIRC, this Cub Scout knife was my first real purchase with my allowance ( $.25 ea. for ironing Dad's white shirts)

[​IMG]

Last edited by les snyder, Aug 19, 2015
    Rotwang and BravoGrrrl like this.
  6. BravoGrrrl

BravoGrrrl Loaded Pockets

I remember being fascinated by my grandfather's camp knife, which featured a full-size spoon ands fork, along with a corkscrew, cap opener, several blades, etc. I was about six, and smitten.

I've had Swiss Army Campers, and lots of knock-off SAKs and Multitools. I've really been blessed with more knives than a girl should have. My Marine Corps favorite Uncle gifted me repeatedly with all manner of sharpened steel since Mom said OK when I was about 7. I've also been pinched and sliced by my own negligence many, many times. I only have one scar from a pretty deep cut on my hand that I refused hospital attention for because I was embarrassed. I look at that scar on my left hand and I smile. Good Times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rotwang likes this.
  7. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Leatherman wave, around 9 years old give or take and still have it and use it.

Rotwang likes this.
  8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

My first multi-function knife was a Victorinox Recruit in red cellidor, I've had two of them... carried one for a while, bought another one, gave the first one away, have the second one sitting on my desk within arm's reach right now :)

My first pliers-based tool was a Super Tool 300 that was gifted to me in October '09... carried that thing and beat the crap out of it every day for about three years, then got out of the habit of having a bat belt and only carried it when I was working on a job that I knew would mean I would be at least partially isolated from my tools. It's in my toolbox right now. Probably needs to go back for warranty service... the pliers are getting sloppy and one of the handles slips pretty easily, which makes the pliers rather difficult to use on occasion.

Rotwang likes this.
  9. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

An old black SAK.
    Ruined it, sadly, and lost the pieces in a UK forest in my back yard in Esher about 12 years ago.
    I had a really old red SAK, but I lost that one too.

The one I remember the most was a Coast multitool that was itty bitty with the tiniest pliers. It was the fish-tool. Still have it, kinda flimsy, but it works.

It was given to me by my aunt and I'll never forget that. She was always strapped for cash, but always cared. She bought me that tool as a gift and I will use it forever.

BravoGrrrl and Rotwang like this.
  10. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

My first plier based MT was a Master Mechanic. Almost ruined them for me as it was so horrible. But the first blade based I had was an old electricians folding knife, probably either Imperial or Utica Cutlery. That was back before I knew enough to take care of stuff. I wish I still had that one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rotwang likes this.
  11. Cory

Cory Loaded Pockets

I still have mine. Need to dig it up and get a picture of it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rotwang likes this.
  12. Chinknife

Chinknife Loaded Pockets

Leatherman micra and I use it mostly to do my paracord wrapping

Rotwang likes this.
  13. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Gerber Suspension>Leatherman Wave>Swiss Tool X

Rotwang likes this.
  14. madlag

madlag Banned

SAK baby! I was about nine years old. It was Christmas. On the hands of angels and willed by the knife gods themselves, it was delivered in cheesy red and green wrapping paper. For one, glorious moment the world stood still for me as I gazed upon all its glory. It came in a leather holster....

It's beauty was so sharp it cut to to the bone. NO, really. Later that day it's almost took the tip of my right index finger. Live and learn lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BravoGrrrl and Rotwang like this.
  15. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

leatherman sidekick, sold it already and got the rebar

Rotwang likes this.
  16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

First one overall was a little Gerber Vise. My first full-size was a Leatherman Wave a couple years ago.

Rotwang likes this.
  17. theotherroche

theotherroche Loaded Pockets

Gerber MP600 from 1992 and I still have it. It was never lost or stolen. That is due to the fact I wasn't crazy about it and soon bought a few Leatherman PST and a Buck 360 - which were all promptly stolen. The Gerber MP600 resides in my glovebox and gets occassional use.

Rotwang likes this.
  18. gingerninja

gingerninja Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Spartan for me

Rotwang likes this.
  19. Cezkaa

Cezkaa Loaded Pockets

a blue sak classic, i was about 5 years old ^^ sadly lost it and cant put my hand on it anymore

Rotwang likes this.
  20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Unless you count SAK's, my first was the original Leatherman. God knows what ever happened to it...I lost it decades ago.

Rotwang likes this.