1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what vehicle would you want to be in.....?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by tr4022, May 14, 2016.

1. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

tr4022 here, long- time lurker, occasional snarky commenter. looking for some input from car and truck guys.

scenario: you are driving from n. Virginia to n.e. Ohio via the pa. turnpike. it's night. you're in the middle of the Alleghenies. it's snowing. hard. you can't see mor than 20 feet, if that. traffic is crawling at about 15 mph.

so, given these conditions, what car or truck would you want to be driving? and no, staying home isn't an option. I was in a Saturn sedan. not fun.

tod

2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

A Land Rover 110 is my choice.

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

My Subaru Outback would be just fine.

ghuns likes this.
  4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Pretty much anything with decent ground clearance (for high snow) and four- or all-wheel-drive. Basically, not a front-wheel-drive sedan, or anything rear-wheel-drive. It doesn't have to be huge, but should provide me with some peace of mind if another vehicle slides into me, or at least have a reputation for awesome safety (Subaru, Volvo, etc.).

We have a Suzuki XL-7 with AWD and I've been pretty impressed with handling in snow and muck. It's affordable, reliable, and gets decent fuel economy (for its size), all of which makes me bummed that Suzuki left the U.S. auto market.

c99camper likes this.
  5. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Any decent AWD vehicle, maintained in decent condition, and driven by a driver who doesn't have their head stuck up an orifice should do.

Now I'm gonna preach for a bit...

AWD not 4WD. 4WD has torque steer in tight turns. Learning about torque steer in bad weather can be quite exciting. However, while both will get you going neither one is going to improve your stopping distance which is way more important than you think.

Good snow tires if the conditions are going to be wintery at all. All season radials especially the longer you have them should have an asterix that says "All seasons except those with snow and ice." You can use snow tires (but not studded) all year if you need to and if you can put up with some road noise. Snow tires too expensive? How much is your deductible? Snows help you go, steer, and stop better.

Learn how to stop in any weather. ABS has been around for a long time and most people still don't know how to use it correctly. With or without it, stopping safely in a real big hurry even in dry conditions takes thinking and training. A really bad way to learn it is "on the job." It gets worse in bad conditions.

Skip vehicles with a high center of gravity. I've seen a lot more roll overs with tall trucks and SUV's than with decent AWD cars.

Remember that not all AWD cars are equal. Was it meant to keep great grandma from getting nervous in the rain, from having some clueless twit keep from having to think, or for getting home in more than two feet of snow? Trick question 'cause if you're driving in over two feet of snow you deserve to get stuck.

Most important of all... Learn to drive in bad weather and please don't be an idiot at any time. "Who knew you could slide into a semi on ice covered roads while driving at 65 mph?" "Who knew you could get swept away and drown in a few feet of fast running water?" "Who knew you can't see the edge of the road in 18" of snow and could easily drive off the road?" Answer: anyone with a working brain. Don't make your stupidity in turn make brave people come out and risk their lives to save your stupid butt.

In any vehicle in any bad weather what is most likely to bite your butt simply is not thinking and not paying attention to what's going on around you, plus poor equipment. Fix the brakes, steering, tires, wipers, etc. before the weather goes down the tubes. Think about whether it's worth going out in the weather. Prepare for it before you find yourself in it. Kind of has the same effect as not checking for toilet paper before you go.

Starting out in what could become bad conditions? Have a full tank (it also can help with car control), check the fluids, tires, lights, and wipers. Bad weather becomes worse if you have a breakdown.

Drive with your lights on. They help you to both see and to be seen. No lights on a white car in a whiteout is a death sentence. Dim the high beams in fog and snow - they'll hurt you vision, not help it. Need to use your 4 ways? Then get off the road! Using your 4 ways prevents your turn signals from working as intended. If you're that nervous, get somewhere and wait out the weather. You'll feel better and everyone will be safer.

Driving while gripping the wheel with a strangle hold? Stop. Get off the road or find another route. You'll be happier and safer and that alone is worth the time.

If you don't use your turn signals you deserve to end up in a ditch anyway. Signal well before and during a turn or lane change. One, two, or three blips ain't makin' it either. What? You gonna strain a muscle moving that great big, heavy lever?

Got stuck or went off? Stay in the vehicle. You're infinitely safer in the vehicle than outside of it. Keep your 4 ways on. Stuck for a long time in snow? Make sure you keep the exhaust clear 'cause that can kill you. Stay warm and wait inside the car. When rescued let the pro's do their job and do what they tell you. You live longer and so will they.

Driving in bad conditions means driving slower. It also means that bad things happen a lot faster. Not comfortable with people passing you? Find an alternate route or wait it out someplace. It will be time well spent.

Do I sound bitter? Good! I and millions of others put up with buttholes all year long. People who should never be allowed to drive. It's not a right, it's a priviledge that can and often should be taken away.

Take a driver safety and a bad weather driving course. You'll know how to prevent bad things before they start and maybe save some money too. Besides they can be fun.

Sent from shouting real loud over the Interwebz.

6. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

i think a subaru wagon would suit my family nicely for this situation

7. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

I lived in Buffalo for 52 years and regularly drove in some of the worst snow storms in the nation. At different times I owned a Jeep CJ7, Ford Bronco and a bunch of 4x4 and 4x2 pick up trucks . By far my 1994 F250 two wheel drive with added weight in the bed was the best all around ride is a storm for me. It plowed through everything. My Jeep was the worst mostly because it was so light and had big fat tires. When it comes to snow thin is in.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Staying home is ALWAYS "an option;" particularly when in the scenario in which you found yourself. Whas that by choice, or an unhappy happenstance dictated by an emergency or exigent condition? For the circumstance to develope into a fairly unfathomable condition beyond your control AFTER your decision is, frankly, understandable; however, I would not, knowingly, place myself at that disadvantage. Life is just too :censored: short to endure that severity of inconvenience that could turn into something much worse.

Hope you fared ok!

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've been on that road. Headed to Detroit from No Va. Not fun anytime after dark. In those conditions? I'd definitely pull off preferably to a motel but at least get off the road until daylight.

Only having an emergency medical condition for someone in the car (not me as the driver -- if I'm that bad I shouldn't be driving anyway) would keep me going -- and that only until the first exit that showed some potential for other humans around to ask for help. Or at least a safe place from which to make a call from help and tell them where I'm at.

L'chaim! Always and above all!

Moshe ben David

10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

and where are the Hilux Surf/4runners now? Yes, I would be in a truck based 4 WD Toyota.

surefire7 likes this.
  11. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

A Chevy truck, because I grew up driving in those conditions in the mountains of WV in one. Rarely did I ever need to use 4x4 but still could still drive right by all the spinning AWD stuff.

I learned the AWD lesson the hard wad, won't ever buy one of those again, they work in the rain but any decent amount of snow it sucked.

Last edited by enine, May 17, 2016
  12. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I survive Alberta in a Ford truck.

Sent by owl post.

Ryan McKenzie likes this.
  13. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

Any motorcycle... but a triumph bonneville would be nice

14. graveyard

graveyard Loaded Pockets

I've owned and driven a bunch of different 4WD vehicles, but this one has always been my favorite. So easy to drive and control in all situations, and would easily make the switch from cross country highway driving to slogging through the muck anywhere, and even some very light rock crawling. Just a great, solid factory 4WD.

[​IMG]

1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6 with Factory Off Road Pkg.

15. specv510

specv510 Loaded Pockets

I've always been a Nissan/Datsun guy. Love the Pathfinder, but I'm voting for a Nissan Patrol.

graveyard likes this.
  16. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I like my CR-V never got stuck, gets me home when conditions get crappy, once in the wet slippery stuff on a hill I came upon a guy that was spinning and just sitting there had to stop for traffic then just pulled out and got on up the hill the 4wd never kicked in while his front tires were spinning.

graveyard likes this.
  17. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

My Subaru Outback...hands down!!

Take that over my turbo diesel F-350 crew in a heartbeat!!

ghuns, chas353 and graveyard like this.
  18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

BelAZ-75710 with the bed removed and a nice little camper type house on the back instead. Just drive over all the people and the snow.... and all of the street furniture.

19. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Amen, brother.

I enjoy a good Rant&Rave.

20. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

My current rolling project.
    [​IMG]
    2001 Ford Excursion 7.3l. Found her looking for a diesel swap donor for my Bronco.