1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What type of band?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Finnigan, May 24, 2009.

?

What type of band do you prefer for everyday wear?

1. Metal Bracelet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Leather

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rubber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nylon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

What type of band do you prefer for everyday wear and why? Do you have a particular type to wear in the heat of the summer?

I generally like steel bracelets, but they can pull hair and can feel heavy now and again. I also like nylon military type bands, but they can get to stink, and the velcro can get weak.

I generally don't like rubber divers bands as they pull hair and my wrist gets sweaty under them. Leather is like a cross between the rubber and the nylon for grief.

How about you?

2. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

nearly all my watches are on a bracelet. whether ti or steel. Dressy and functional.

3. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Go for proper NATO, Zulu or Rhino straps, doesn't use velcro, real comfy once worn in, and you can throw them in the washing machine if they start to smell. Good stuff.

4. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I voted "Other" because mine is black resin, not nylon or rubber.

My previous watch had a Ti band. I didn't like it mainly because it was too hard to adjust. You have to take links in and out, which is impractical, so you just set it to some width and leave it. With a normal strap, with many holes, you can loosen it or tighten if you need to.

Ti also a heavy option. My watch weighs 79g, and the Ti version weighs 113g. That's nearly 50% as much again. Being lighter makes mine more comfortable to wear. Ti is my preferred choice for things which need to be metal, such a prybars, but not watch straps.

It's also important to get something water-proof. I wouldn't swim with a leather strap.

Good thread, by the way. I got my watch just last week, and the strap was one of the things I had to think about.

5. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

Okay, are there any practical differences between resin and rubber? When I posted the rubber option I was thinking of the typical diver type band. Are they actually resin and I just got the material wrong?

Also, what is with all of the rings on the NATO bands? What the heck are they used for? :idiot2:

6. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I use the Speidel twist-o-flex, easy on easy off. Once sized to fit very secure, with no buckles .

7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've become fond of the metal bracelet lately; once adjusted properly, it is comfortable enough to wear all-day, doesn't require much in the way of maintenance, doesn't hold odors like nylon/leather and won't crack like rubber.

Adjusting it was a bit of a pain, and sometimes my bracelet will pinch a bit, but it's a small price to pay, in my book. The fact that I don't have much hair on my arms means I don't have to worry about getting my wrist plucked constantly, which is also nice.

Yes, I think I'll be staying with the bracelet for a while.

8. ewchiu3

ewchiu3 Loaded Pockets

One more for metal bracelets. I have both SS and Ti ones and both fit perfectly. I consider my watches as man jewelry. I guess if your wrists swell alot, they might get uncomfortable.

9. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

Some considerations

SS/Ti: by far the most hardy, heavy and dressy. SS can be a problem for people with skin allergies, but Ti is very low allergy if at all. Adjustment can be an issue, but micro adjusters close to the clasp can help. Easily cleaned. Also hot and cold temperatures can swell the wrist so when it's winter the watch might slide around but during summer it's tight and bites a little. In most cases will rely on both pins to hold the bracelet on the watch. Not cheap.

Rubber/Resin/Acrylic: very light, good adjustment, good for allergies, but can cause skin irritation due to sweat. Only problems with rubber is cracking and eventual degradation. Not dressy. Can expand and contract to temperatures. Lots of these bands now have ridges or wave pattern to help this effect. Will rely on both pins to hold the bracelet on the watch. Fairly cheap. Can be a pain to find ones that fit perfectly. Sometimes come with a weird vanilla smell.

Nylon/natos/zulus: super light, good adjustment, good for allergies, again can cause skin irritation due to lack of ventilation. Not dressy. Comes in a myriad of colours and variants. Very strong. quickly and easily interchanged. Machine washable to avoid dirt and smell issue. Is the safest version of attachments, will still stay on watch even if one pin fails. Very cheap.

Leather: very dressy, adjustable. Can be a problem for allergies if not tanned or coloured properly. Normally only suits dress watches, not sports watches. Tonnes of variants to fit any watch. Not waterproof, so be careful, it can ruin very easily if exposed to water. Careful maintenance can extend the life of the band. Looks ratty after a while due to the band having the memory of the clasp and pin marking the leather, like your leather belts. Can be cheap, but exotic skins ie crocodile, stingray, can be very $$$

If you reallt want to delve into straps, watch u seek has a forum specifically for watch straps
    watchuseek strap forum

10. Schattenwolf

Schattenwolf Empty Pockets

11. V8Mondo

V8Mondo Empty Pockets

On my 'Citizen Divers Eco Drive' I have a German-made 'Di-Modell Chronissimo' Leather Waterproof strap. It is the best...

http://www.thewatchprince.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2752/.f

I also considered sharkskin and RaySkin.

On my Seiko Sportura Kinetic Chrono it came with the Seiko Leather Strap. It is specific to that watch, so unless I make something for it, the Seiko one stays.

12. camo-sling

camo-sling Loaded Pockets

I always have liked the rubber bands. Metal bands always seem to get scratched deeply, or maybe its a case of watch mis-treatment? meh, ill blame the watch instead :)
    Although, in summer they arent too pleasant because they get quite sweaty as most bands.

The paracord watch band sounds really nice!

13. Mr. Henk

Mr. Henk Empty Pockets

I prefer titanium or stainless steel bracelets. They're the strongest, look good and are comfortable to wear.

14. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I prefer resin. Comfy and I think they look the best. I've never found metal bracelets to be particularly attractive, and I don't think leather would be durable enough.

15. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Do the Zulu bands smell bad like the nylon? My nylon band smells really bad when it gets hot outside

Any suggestions on a different band?

Does rubber also smell as bad as the nylon bands?

16. TrickyVic

TrickyVic Loaded Pockets

Depends, if you shower with your watch on I find that it doesn't smell bad. When I decide to wash them I soak it in hand soap then let it sit in the sun for a couple of hours. I swap between 4 different color Zulu straps so I don't wear 1 band for a long time.

17. stitch_paradox

stitch_paradox Loaded Pockets

For everyday use I wear rubber band. For a more formal occasion I wear SS bracelet. the nylon style is kinda comfortable but isn't just for me. I would like to try out the silicone band with deployant.

18. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I voted for the metal band. I like the weight and feel of a good steel or Ti band...
    Ironically I wear my LumiNox Titanium on a Maratac nylon band. At work I found myself catching the casp release on my bracelet too often so I switched. I shower with my watch on, so have never had a problem with the dreaded wrist stink.

19. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried the CC silicone straps? Thinking of replacing my Timex Fast Wrap with one. The ones with the buckle closure.

20. TrickyVic

TrickyVic Loaded Pockets

I have one of those also, it's comfortable and it's a nice compromise between a Zulu and metal band. I still find the Zulu strap more comfortable for everyday use.