1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What training target do you use ?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Gaulois, May 19, 2020.

1. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

Do you have a specific target you bring to your range, or do you simply go with empty cans or cereal boxes ? :D

I use various targets from Sigma-Tactical (english subtitles on the video):

[​IMG]

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Although not technically impossible, it's practically impossible to acquire firearms for self defence in Norway, and hence life like targets are not approved by our civilian shooting associations. Most targets I shoot are ISSF and IPSC nationalised (w/o B-zone) targets, and some specific to national accuracy programs.
    Even though I'm far from being any kind of authority on the subject, I'm quite certain that regular accuracy targets and IPSC targets are all you need to improve your skills as a shooter, even for self defence. And if you wan't to bring it up one notch on the realism scale, you should try what we call "shooting cinema" around here. These are great for testing your responses and and skills under more life like scenarios.
    My best bet would still be IPSC matches. Lots of them. You just can't achieve that kind of stress and adrenaline that you get in a IPSC match in a training/practice setting. This is how you train your mind to perform under stress and reveal you weaknesses.

3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Whatever free bullseye I can find to print off the internet. I have enough property I can shoot in my backyard so I also shoot cans, bottles, pizza boxes, or whatever.

BklynBoy likes this.
  4. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I print off free target. 5x5 drills, dot torture, etc

5. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Typically the standard B-27 target.

6. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Paper plates on trees. And 1 homemade gong made from a gas dispenser and petroleum tank lid. Lol. I suppose I should take a pic. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

USPSA "metric" target

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

I use just cardboard (IDPA style), usually aim center of mass, tape up holes and repeat drills/COF's. I think this is the best way to train in a lot of ways for courses of fire since a torso can be at different angles/etc. I will use a paper torso/shape now and then and or dots if I am trying to do some specific drills or sharpen skills.

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Depends where I'm shooting. If I'm shooting at a commercial range, I print one from my stock of PDF Target files. If casually plinking out at one of my family member's farm, usually cans, bottles and clay pigeons---more fun for casual shooting.

10. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  11. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I a lot of times use the "poor man's" targets - paper-plates from the dollar store.

12. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Paper plates. Cheap and VERY easy to see hits.

13. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Check out the ones from Kit Badger on YouTube - he describes the ones he's made and has the PDF files to download from his site. Includes head and torso - life size and anatomically correct. Also front on and side on versions - free...

14. Mikhail Weiss

Mikhail Weiss Loaded Pockets

Blue guy “smurf” targets: B-21, or more particularly, 3-TB-21-E as found here:http://www.americantargetcompany.com/3_TB_21_E_target.asp. I like this one because it’s a little smaller than the B-27 target and I have to be a little more careful about hitting my version of “clean” Mozambiques, which is to keep shots in the light blue “COM” and between the ears.

S-1 target, aka 100-yard sight in target, as found here: http://www.americantargetcompany.com/S_1_OR.asp. I like this one because it has a 6-inch orange circle with a white bullseye. I use this for my version of the Bill Drill, which is to see how fast I can put five shots in the orange at 3, 5, 7, 15 yards. I also like it for variations of single-target, two-target drills where the goal is to dot the 2-inch bullseye without coloring outside the lines and, for go-fast drills, do the same but staying inside the 6-inch circle.

That said, I often use whatever the range offers at the time. Sometimes the above-mentioned are available, sometimes not.