1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What to Replace Fenix E11 With?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ChadHahn, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I have had two E11s and the batteries in both leaked. One day they worked, the next day they didn't and when I tried to take the battery out it was swollen and leaking. Fenix says that leaking batteries aren't covered in the warranty so I'm in the market for a new light and don't want to risk wasting my money on another Fenix.

What flashlight that is about the size and cost of the Fenix E11 do you recommend?

Thanks,

Chad

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Not sure of any manufacturer that will cover damage from a leaking battery. So, if your battery/flashlight usage is sporadic enough to lead to alakaline cell leakage, wasted money might be in the future regardless of which manufacturer you go with.

If they were alkalines and left untended, it's not a matter of if they will leak, but when.

Some battery manufacturers (like Duracell), will cover the cost to replace/repair items damaged by defective batteries or purely as a matter of customer relations. It wouldn't do any harm to investigate that avenue.

ATB,
    Sam

powerring likes this.
  3. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

The flashlight was my EDC and used if not daily then weekly. Like I said, the flashlight worked on Monday and Tuesday when I went to turn it on, it didn't work. I don't know what I could have done differently to prevent this from happening except replacing the battery before it went dead.

Chad

4. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I recently contacted Duracell for the same issue. They sent me a shipping label for me to send the items in for repair or replacement cost.

I pulled out all Alkaline "Alkaleaks" from my torches and anything valuable. I then replaced those batteries with Energizer Lithium AA or AAA.

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Alks are most likely to blow if run down too low, and/or are reversed charged (used in series). So you can do a couple of things - periodically pull the batt out and check voltage with a DMM and/or get a $10 load tester from Radio Shack (better), and in the field, periodically compare output between the 2 highest modes - when there is no difference, you're nearing the end.

So yeah, replace the battery before it's dead. Where exactly? Depends on how lucky you feel ;).

david57strat likes this.
  6. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Consider the Xeno 03 Tiger or the L10C for AA clickies.
    Both are 3 mode clickies. Xeno comes in 3 colours and cool neutral and war XML emitters L10C comes in High CRI
    l10C has a good clip Xeno no clip. Xeno is very well made but L10 is decent quality too. Both are around $30.
    Here's one of my Xenos.
    Also Xeno on 14500 puts out over 400 Lumens.
    Xeno is at top in blue. I like the Tiger logo
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn and twin63 like this.
  7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Fenix E12, great follow on the the E11, single AA, three well spaced modes and simple, (for simple people like me) UI, $26.95 last time I looked.
    Need a light with a clip? Consider the Fenix LD09 that offers the following:

• Three output modes:
    • High: 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes with Ni-MH battery; 56 minutes with Alkaline battery)
    • Mid: 55 Lumens (5 hours with Ni-MH battery; 3 hours with Alkaline battery)
    • Low: 8 Lumens (40 hours with Ni-MH battery; 50 hours with Alkaline battery)
    • SOS Mode: 55 Lumens
    • Does NOT have memory. When you turn the light on, it comes on in the mid output mode.
    • Tail stands

powerring likes this.
  8. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

FENIX E99TI looks awfully nice.

dml24 likes this.
  9. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Agree the Fenix E99TI is a nice AAA light.

10. Gwac110
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gwac110 EDC Junkie!!!

Why would you be wasting your money buying another Fenix? It's clearly the batteries at fault not the light, you could buy any light and have the same problem if you use alkalines in them.
    If you like the E11 buy another but use lithium's instead.
    If you fancy a change then the other lights mentioned here will be worth a look.

keith1234 and dml24 like this.
  11. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Completly agree. Using alkileaks is risky. My EDC lights, Fenix E05 and Fenix E12 run on lithiums. Lights that I don't use everyday, Nitcore MT2A and Fenix LD41 also keep lithiums inside. Lithtiums will not leak and the long term viability of LiON batteries make them the choice battery. I do keep some Panasonic AA/AAA Enloops in the battery rotation, and that keeps costs down.

Gwac110 likes this.
  12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The E11 has been discontinued, so you're going to have to pick a new light regardless.

If you're in the AA market, the L10 isn't bad as utility lights go.

13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I guess I need to change my battery choice. Thanks for the advice.

Chad

14. Gwac110
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gwac110 EDC Junkie!!!

Have fun looking for a new light and let us know what you decide to get.

15. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Do consider investing in some Enloop s and a goo charger.

16. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I've been seeing them at Costco. I guess I should pick some up.

Chad

david57strat likes this.
  17. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

The costco Eneloop blister pack is a good deal, even better when it is in the coupon book. Match that up with the powerex MH-C9000 charger and you will be solid for years to come.

ChadHahn and david57strat like this.
  18. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I use a Sanyo Eneloop in my E11. I picked them up at Costco. No issues, whatsoever, and Eneloops pay for themselves with the first few uses.

19. dekandhisguitar

dekandhisguitar Loaded Pockets

I didn't have any issues with my E11. But I went from that to a Streamlight microstream and love it so much more.

20. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I thought I'd give an update. I had put off getting a new flashlight having found an old Fenix E01 that I got at an REI garage sale. Today however, I was digging through a box of stuff that used to be in my desk before we moved and found an new, in the blister pack E12! I don't remember buying it but I'm guessing that it must have either been on sale at REI or I got it with my dividend. I guess my mind has been made up for me. :) I'll be sure to keep lithium or eneloops in it.

Chad

tmedina and dml24 like this.