1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What to put on an USB stick?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Mobuse, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Mobuse

Mobuse Loaded Pockets

I have this 8 GB USB stick in my EDC bag that I use from time to time to share photos or documents with other people....but I really don't need the whole 8 GB.

Can you guys recommend some programs or data that's useful to have on a USB stick?

2. mushnz

mushnz Loaded Pockets

I have encrypted copies of birth and marriage certificates, insurance details, a couple of survival / first aid books and lots of topo maps on mine.

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

For the software, a copy of truecrypt is my main one. That allows you to create an encrypted folder containing whatever data you want - I know a lot of people use it for holding spares of sensitive data - passports, insurance, medical data and other stuff to make sure they have a copy of it if needed.

4. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I put some portable apps on mine including utilities (defrag, cleanup. antivirus, etc.) to clean up a PC. I end up being PC Dr. for my in-laws. I also included a portable copy of NetHack to play when I'm pored and have access to a PC. I also included a password keeping program to store my work passwords.

5. shokthx

shokthx Loaded Pockets

Go to portableapps.com . Some of the best software (all free - and legal) available. I even use it non-portable, installing it on a hard drive (it does not clutter up the Windows registry). You'll want the 2.0 beta (it's actually the new stable version about to be released and features automated updates for all the software). Really good stuff.
    Also, the portable version of SuperAntiSpyware is great to have on hand to scan a computer you think may have malware (also available free).

6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

BackTrack Linux. When civilization falls apart, (and the computers are still running) you never know when you might have to gain unauthorized access to various computer networks. Also you never know when you might need to do some forensic analysis on a computer.

I keep truecrypt and encrypted copies of all important family documents on an SD card in my wallet. The flat profile makes it an absolute perfect fit -- out of sight, out of mind.

7. kmbkk

kmbkk Empty Pockets

+1 for Backtrack. The new portable Tor/Firefox combo is handy also.

Also if your truecrypt file its just data (not apps) it's worth giving a copy to a few friends/relatives that don't know each other. They can either email it in a pinch, or should you be incapacitated, they can use Shamir's Secret Sharing. That way a certain number of them would have to cooperate in order to retrieve your password.

8. Spartan745

Spartan745 Loaded Pockets

+1 for portableapps.com The first thing that's most important is to have copies of all your important information (passport, driver's license, copy of credit card front/back, insurance, etc. etc.) but if you decide to make what I call an "E.M.D" Emergency Memory Device, please encrypt and put a password on it so only you and those you want to know are only able to use it. Also, make a back up copy in the event it gets lost or stolen.

9. suedgaertner

suedgaertner Empty Pockets

Another note on portableapps.com: please do check out Keepass portable. It allows you to safely encrypt all and any vital information, be it passwords, bank accounts, and even documents. It has grown on me over the years. It even types very complicated passwords for you, thus enabling the use of good, komplex, and unique passwords for every (important) site you frequent.

10. Swedish169

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

i use truecrypt to keep copies of all my important personal info. anything i'd need to rebuild my life is something terrible happened. i also keep a chess app so i can play a match no matter what computer i'm sitting at.

beyond that, i keep a copy of the resume, important work files like training ppt's, and some personal photo's.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

11. Accessory Man

Accessory Man Loaded Pockets

Anyone know of a cheap program that would allow us to scan documents, or convert them to PDF files which could be read on any machine? Not so much for the personal data but for volumes of reference material that may come in handy someday....

12. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Loaded Pockets

I teach disaster preparedness and I teach this to the attedees. If it has a serial number and intrinsic value, it goes on a spreadsheet and kept on flashdrive (numerous flashdrives, actually) along with resume's, insurance documents, mortgages, holdings, etc. Anything that you would need to restart your life and regain your identity after a disaster. (I.E. Hurricane Katrina...)

13. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

I have a 4gb Verbatim Tuff & Tiny that i have setup as a ubuntu boot drive incase of pc failure.

14. Philo DuFresne

Philo DuFresne Loaded Pockets

I have an ironkey flash drive, and I like it a lot. It has onboard Firefox, and gov't level encryption, you can use an extra long passphrase with spaces, it is really nice. I keep work docs as well as the paperwork mentioned earlier. There is also the option of U3 smart drives, or portable apps on a regular flash drive. I also have a drive that I keep startup .dlls on so that my netbook won't boot unless the key is in, making it worthless to any thief, or looter.

15. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

That makes no sense, a few missing DLLs will not deter a thief or looter, heck they are highly unlikely to check that a netbook boots before half inching it. Assuming it's an attempt to keep your data safe, you are better off just encrypting the drive with something like Truecrypt.

16. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

Put whatever portable apps versions of apps you already use on your home PC. These are apps that install on the USB drive and do not need to be installed on the host PC. This way you can do whatever you do at home, anywhere it is necessary.

17. Philo DuFresne

Philo DuFresne Loaded Pockets

I'm not as worried about things getting stolen, I have "backups of my backups" as they say, I'm more into knowing that whomever takes my s#*! won't ever be using it. I also use a bios password that locks out boot up. So, unless the IT department is looting, they're screwed. And as I said, I use an Ironkey to keep my data safe.

18. pinksalmon

pinksalmon Loaded Pockets

copies of important documents for whatever reason I might need them. Also they make em big enough now for me to transport clips or rough edits easily.

19. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I have copies of most documents from ID, driver's license, all diplomas and even the home property papers, portable apps for various tasks and that's about it. This is the personal drive. i also have one for work with all sorts of junk files.

20. Zerv14

Zerv14 Loaded Pockets

I scanned all my important documents and placed them in a password protected partition on my 16GB Tuff-n-tiny flash drive.

In addition, I downloaded a couple US Army Field Manuals which are freely distributed. FM 3-05.70 is the current US Army survival guide and can be found here: http://www.equipped.com/fm3-0570.htm

I also use the drive as a backup for all my picture and video files. Using Microsoft's SyncToy 2.1, I created a folder pair which automatically keeps select folders on my USB drive and PC in sync. Pretty useful little program. Did I mention that it's free?