1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what to people EDC in your area?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by TOPOS, Jul 22, 2016.

1. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

What do you think makes up the EDC of the people where you live?
    I live in the southern part of New Hampshire and i'd say probably one in four or five people around here carry a knife with it being an even split of 1/3 slipjoints or SAKs (typically older people) 1/3 leatherman style multi tools (typically the middle aged), and 1/3 modern style folders(typically under 30). probably only 1 in 20 people or less carry a light around here, mostly 2xaa maglights on their belts, but maybe 1% of people will carry a nice light like most people here do.

2. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

There's no uniformity where I live. I don't know a single person who carries a slipjoint. Not like I can tell when someone has one in their pocket anyway. I see knives clipped to pockets on occasion. Teens all the way through people pushing fifty, or there about. I wouldn't say I've noticed any age bias towards pocket clips, except for maybe that they're mutually exclusive with AARP cards. But, that is just my experience and what I've noticed.

Even less common are multitools on belts. I've seen maybe three in the last year, mostly on people in their forties or fifties. Might be that I just haven't paid attention.

Flashlights? Fairly common to see small led lights on keychains. One guy at work has a AA minimag on his work belt. He's one of our electro-mechanical assemblers.

Otherwise, it's the usual assortment of phones, wallets, and keys. Of note, since our managers and senior managers are always in back to back meetings, lots of them have battery banks for their work issues iPhones. I've seen about five of them or so.

For myself, I carry light, and it all fits in my pockets. Felix E01, Manbug, chapstick, bandanna, keys, phone, wallet. Keys and phone go in my desk at work, replaced with pen and notepad and badge (lanyard thing busted a while back). Demographic information, 36 years old, male, I'm a buyer (desk jockey), in the aerospace industry, in Southern California.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replete likes this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The usual stuff: cell phone, sunglasses, car key, & wallet. I have concluded that MOST people don't give the same thought to what they carry in the same way that members of this forum do because they are far too busy living their lives.

4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I'm in southern California, the only thing people here carry daily is their wallet and smart phone.

Replete likes this.
  5. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

North Texas....guns, lots of guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tom A Hawk and F-Bobby like this.
  6. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

S.E. N.S.W.... edc is virtually non existent in urban areas around here. Keys, wallet phone is the standard. Only people who I occasionally find with knives etc are women with handbags.
    Farmers on their land are different, but they seem to leave everything at home when they go to town.
    Pretty confident if you did survey of everyone in the local mall the butchers would be the only ones with knives.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  7. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Apart from the standard smart phone, wallet and keys the following: multitools, folding knives and in winter flashlights. I live in a rural farming and agricultural area of south-east Australia at the foothills of the Great Dividing Range.

8. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I'd say it's similar around here to what other people have experienced in an urban location. I do see a lot of backpacks though, even people going to work in suits are carrying in them. Now they're probably just carrying gym clothes, but I like to think there are some little EDC trinkets in some of them.
    As for knives Boston itself has very restrictive knife laws (which I break constantly cause I don't care), so most people aren't gonna even bother to carry one. I would suspect the average person carries nothing more than Office essentials.

Medeiros likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Just curious. What are the Boston City knife laws? Wondering how they compare with NYC and Chicago for instance...

Moshe ben David

10. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

No knives with blade length over 2.5 inches. This is specifically for Boston (and Cambridge since they adopted these as well) city limits.
    16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS
    16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited. No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2 1/2″) inches, (except when actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or (b) in going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or (c) if the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported), ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer’s ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another.
    16-45.2 Distribution Exception. This section shall not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or form such entities or establishments.
    16-45.3 Applicability. Nothing in this section shall be construed to enhance or diminish any duties of persons described in section 16-45.2, and this section shall not be introduced or cited in any proceeding as evidence of negligence, recklessness, or similar state of mind of such persons.
    16-45.4 Penalty. Violators of any provision of this ordinance shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense.
    16-45.5 Severability. The provisions of this section shall be severable and if any section, part, or portion hereof shall be held invalid for any purpose by any court of competent jurisdiction, the decision of such court shall not affect or impair any remaining section, part or portion thereof.

11. Moshe ben David

F-Bobby: Looks like the same primary criteria (blade length less than 2.5 inches) that applies for NYC, Chicago, Federal buildings, etc.

Thanks.

Moshe ben David

F-Bobby likes this.
  12. 313

313 Uber Prepared

If anything besides the obvious phone, keys, wallet - most of folks round here seem to carry stuff that's readily available in supermarkets and such. Victorinox and Leatherman keychain tools, Photons and Maglites etc. Whatever's conveniently at hand among other shopping. Enthusiasts tend to be rare and discreet. Lots of technology such as smart watches and sports apparell (activity meters and such) can be seen though.

13. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I see a lot of pocket clips which, 90% of the time, are attached to piece of junk knives. I also see a lot of Leatherman tools on belts. The usual smartphones and a lot of those big headphone sets (populate with the kiddies who have no visible means of support...hmmm). I also see a fair amount of CCW, but I look for that sort of thing.

14. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

In the chunk of midwest i live. Id say most phone wallet keys, then most men carry a knife. Very seldom any women with a knife and seeing a person with a flash light is like seeing a big foot. My wife and I load out is wallet keys phone knife light and basic fak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

15. Moshe ben David

Bander124: I'll go out on a limb and bet that for women carrying anything but the tiniest purse we don't have a clue as to what they edc; at least not in the terms of most loadouts on these forums! JMHO!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

sungame and Tom A Hawk like this.
  16. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

My wife carries a smaller purse but crams a LOT into it without it looking over full (my opinion is that the inside of women's purses are portals to another dimension, but that's a discussion for another time). She carries a small wallet, her iPhone, a Nano flashlight, a SAK Classic and her LCP, the rest goes in her backpack. I know she has a an Inova AA flashlight and a SAK Super Tinker in there but not sure what else.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

charlie fox: LOL. Makes one wonder why Dr. Who needs the tardis...maybe should be carrying a purse?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

I will agree with it is hard to know what women have in the magic bottomless portal sack. i was just making my guess of her friends when she pulls out a pocket knife or a flash light even the first aid kit gets the same response "why do you have that" but hey their husbands arnt preped either. It seems they have the ill be taken care of mentality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

19. H418982

H418982 Loaded Pockets

Vape stuff, knives, and guns. Not a lot of EDC people in my area, at least none that i have met.

20. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

But, if you can see it is it still a CCW?