1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what to look for in a folder?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jehan60188, Feb 5, 2010.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

going to REI to play with a griptilian (probably end up buying it today)

what should I look for in a quality folding knife?

well balanced blade?
    smooth opening?
    tight lock?
    easy to open?
    difficult to close (accidentally)?

thanks!

2. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

Those qualities with some exceptions. I imagine any decent knife would be difficult to close accidentally even a cheap CRKT or Benchmade and Spyderco's Chinese-made knives, which I might add aren't "cheap". I've never considered the balance of the blade, it seems trivial to me.Since you mentioned balance, which is more opinion-based, I would also consider the texture, shape, and material of the grips to see if it is comfortable as well as the closed size of the knife.

3. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

size of the knife and how it feels in hand is how i start when i'm looking at a knife in person. blade play is something to avoid also. if the blade wiggles up and down or left and right that can be a bad thing. my delica and mini-griptillian don't have any play that i can notice. ease of opening and blade steel are what i look at next.

4. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

What to look for in a folder?

That its maker is called; Chris Reeve

And that the model is called; Sebenza

5. jehan60188

thanks, but that's well out of my price range

6. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

what is your price range? what size blade are you looking for?

7. jehan60188

under 100; big, but not unwieldy (i guess i have medium hands?). honestly, I'm pretty set on the full size griptilian just from the reviews I've read. unless you know of something similarly bomb-proof, and priced?

8. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I have one and it's a fantastic knife. It's my most carried knife, however I just recently purchased a Delica and have been carrying that for the past couple of weeks.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The real things to check are:

- lockup, blade play -- side to side (horizontal) is generally tuneable, but up and down (vertical) is not. A good knife may or may not have blade play depending on the type of lock, but it will be minimal.

- ergos -- how well does it fit you, can you open and close it easily (though this may come with practice)

- pocketability -- is this knife easy to carry, comfortable, and not too heavy/wide/large that you won't EDC it

- blade geometry, grind -- this comes with experience and should be based on your own observations on what works best for you

10. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

i was planning to order a griptilian and a delica but now that I think about it there is an REI around here. I should go visit.

Anyway, I have noticed a few things over the years when it comes to finding the right edc knife. There are always exceptions, but here is what I think
    High Priority:
    Price
    Build Quality

Obviously you won't buy a knife that is too expensive or falls apart. If you buy a very expensive knife, you might worry about losing it.

Middle Priority:
    Aesthetics
    Ergonomics (including locking mechanism and weight)

If the knife is to bulky to carry or cut with or it is difficult to disengage the lock, you won't carry it. If the knife is ugly or super aggressive, you probably won't want to carry or use it in public.

Low Priority:
    Materials
    Country of Origin

I won't go into the economics (honestly forgot most of it) or philosophy, but you can't say a knife is bad just because it is made in Bangladesh.
    Any knife steel will dull. Better to spend your money on a good knife sharpener rather then a knife with ZDP189 or M4 or other steels you'll have trouble sharpening and will therefore be afraid to use. G10, titanium, micarta, plastic, and the other materials are all strong enough for human use. Handle materials are more aesthetic anyway IMO.

If it isnt obvious, there is a lot of subjectivity in choosing the right knife. But assuming you are looking at good quality and price knives, I'd recommend going for whatever catches your eye and feels nice. I personally love the Benchmade 530 for its blade shape, thin design, and axis lock.

11. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

The number 1 thing to check for is ergonomics. If the ergonomics aren't right for you, you won't enjoy the knife.

After that, look at the lock up. There should be no blade play up and down unless it's a lock back, in which case there might be a very slight movement. Side to side play should be minimal. Liner locks/frame locks should not engage too far over, or they will wear prematurely.

Aside from blade steel and lock up, quality is pretty much common sense-it should be well put together, etc. There is too much about blade steel to go into here, but avoid unmarked blades, 'surgical stainless' blades, and 420/420J2 or AUS4 steel.

If you want advice about what kind of grinds suit different purposes and info on coatings and manufacturers and stuff like that there are a ton of threads on here which can help you out, just search some of the "advice needed on pocket knife" threads.