1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What to carry?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by redhawk44357, Aug 30, 2019.

1. redhawk44357

redhawk44357 Loaded Pockets

I have been a member for some time and would pop in every once in a while. As far as edc I wouldn't carry much, maybe a knife, loose change, pen,etc. Sometime back I bought a 511 shoulder bag but never put it to much use. Now I am getting the itch to get serious on edc. I understand that having the right object at the right time could save the day or even save a life. So....what are some suggestions as to edc to get me started on the right path?

2. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

EDC is different for everyone. Based on your routines, work, interests, etc.
    But the basics are pretty simple. Knife, flashlight, phone, wallet...that kind of stuff. Me....I use a versipack in addition to the pocket carry. In there I carry my charging cable, battery bank, notepad, pens & sharpie, ferro rod, ifak, extra light, small map, compass, $20 - $30 in small bills, and sometimes my G19. A few other odds and ends, and it is always changing and evolving. I don't always carry the pack, but it's either on my person or in my truck, or vehicle I happen to be in. My G19 is usually on my hip, but if not, it's in the pack. I carry a bottle of water and a couple granola bars or similar. Also carry my blood pressure med, and tylenol.
    I used to carry a 5.11 Rush 12, but I put way too much stuff in it. Still take it on occasion though, depending on the need.

el_murdoque and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Depends really. Do you find yourself saying “I wish I had X on me right now”, then carry that. Do you want to be prepared for every eventually as well? You might be moving towards prepper territory.

I have a couple of bags with a multitool in them, notebook pen and minor boo-boo kit. If I’m doing site work I’ll take a torch, skeletool, sharpie and manager. My van has stuff in it too. But my life will be different to yours so your needs will vary quite a lot from mine.

I’d ask yourself what youre prepared to carry day in day out. I reduced mine right back as I couldn’t be bothered to carry it round with me - my pockets were bulging and I was only going up the shop for a pint of milk, I thought it pointless but others will have different opinions. Work out what bases you want to cover then ask about individual bits of kit later.

4. JayHawk

JayHawk Loaded Pockets

I edited my post to remove redundant suggestions, y'all beat me to it when I got busy.

I EDC on person a wallet, flashlight, knife, bandana and phone. At their most basic my packs contain at least OTC meds, boo boo kit, batteries with charger and a power bank.

Last edited by JayHawk, Aug 31, 2019
    #4 JayHawk, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

It depends on you and your life.
    • Take a train to work? Maybe a water bottle, a book or an ereader, headphones, something to listen to...
    • Young family? Maybe a boo boo kit, wet wipes, snacks, tissues...
    • Often out in the back of beyond? Maybe a serious FAK, weather protection, some MREs, sturdy knife, flashlight with long runtimes...
    • Not into electronics? Maybe a nice fountain pen, a classy notebook with Tomoe River paper, a gentleman's pocket knife...
    • Like to travel light? Slim your carry right down to the bare essentials...
    • Want to be ready for anything? Get a decent sized pack and fill it to the brim...
    Welcome to the addiction! Load up your shopping basket - you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave! ;)

6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Hahaha. So true :)

twin63 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  7. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

EDC or Every Day Carry kind of implies that this is the stuff we carry on most days with us.

Depending on your role (civilian, LEO, construction worker, etc.), time (a weekday during day in a city, or at night in outdoors) we do have different needs - but some needs may be "universal" such as medical or temperature regulation.

This may define your core EDC - with modules to cover non-daily tasks like for outdoor, sports, or other "events".

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  8. redhawk44357

redhawk44357 Loaded Pockets

Thank you all for getting back to me. Gave me alot of good ideas on where to go from here. Will be reassessing my needs on a day by day basis and putting together a go-bag.

9. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Dito here. What was key to me to solve this "puzzle" was to go modular with different kits: I now use a set of pouches i can quickly add or remove to the bag or backpack I'm using that day or for a multi-day trip.

Besides the "usual three" (wallet, phone, keyring) I have several kits:
    • trauma kit
    • medical/first aid kit
    • personal protection kit (N95 masks, swim goggles, hearing protection)
    • spare clothes kit (for unplanned overnights due to cancelled flights, defect trains, weather, etc.)
    • small dopp kit for the same reason
    • electronics kit (charger for phone & laptop, cables, spare batteries, USB power bank, etc.)
    • tools kit (hex driver with various bits, pliers, duct tape, paracord, etc.)
    There are several items that are on me and not part of a kit such as a base cap, sun glasses, tissues, wet towels, pen, etc.

Hope this helps!

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

These days, I generally carry what I use and use what I carry. My usage is based on need and my needs is based on usage. If I find myself seemingly over-thinking about what I need to carry, it just means that I haven't previously put enough thought. Therefore, I don't carry what I am thinking about carrying. So if I need to USE something that I'm carrying and I need to think about using it, it becomes something that I didn't need to carry after all. WHEN I need to use something that I'm carrying, I don't need to think about it. I just reach for it and use it. After the usage, I resume carrying it until the next time that I need to use it. No wasted thought.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Everyone EDCs.
    For some, the EDC might be the key to their place because that's the only thing they'll ever carry on a daily basis and most people would not call it EDC.

I could tell you what I EDC and why, but that's not a big help for you unless you're my separated-at-birth-twin which is quite unlikely. You will have your focus on slightly different things and therefore prefer to carry different items in a different way.

The trinity of 'Wallet, keys, Phone' seems to be pretty universal in the western hemisphere - that's something nearly everyone carries.

You can start there, making that stuff better suit your needs, taste or comfort:
    Keys:
    You can improve your key chain in two directions. Either you can add useful stuff (tiny flashlight, prybar, USB storage, tiny blade, you name it)
    or you can go into the other direction and streamline the design to make it as small as possible by using something like a keybar (depending on how many keys you carry).

Same goes for the wallet. You can either add useful stuff (for example credit card sized multitools) or you can try and make it as small as it'll go, maybe a micro wallet, that will mostly hold cards.

From there on, you can expand your daily carry.

I always tried out whether or not carrying certain things is something I benefit from.
    I started by buying something halfway decent at an attractive price preferably used. I'd carry that for a while and see what's heavier: The amount of pocket space that's eaten up or the use I get out of having that thing with me at all times. When that decision is made (in favor of the item) and I have some experience in carrying that thing, I usually have a much better idea of what I expect this thing to be good at and what I don't care too much about, so I can check out the market and find a nice item that'll become my EDC.

I found that the approach with carrying some cheap junk did not work out for me. Carrying around a blade with soft chinese steel that's dulled after two minutes of use will not give me the feeling of having a reliable blade with me. I tried that once, neglected the idea of carrying a knife, and tried it later with a quality blade and found out that I don't much care for having a piece of soft chinese metal that has a sorry excuse of an edge. I do like to carry something that will take more than a day of normal cutting work to dull, though.

My current carry evolved from this principle.

Stuff can get two spots with me:
    1. On my person.
    2. A place in my bag.
    I don't really EDC that bag, but carry it with me when I leave home for some place a bit further away.
    The bag does not hold much, but usually a small powerbank(+cables), a Leatherman, a headlamp and headphones along with spare batteries and a spare pen will be in there. Stuff that's either backup by nature or too bulky/heavy to be carried about my person.

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@el_murdoque: I basically agree with your approach. One thing regarding knife makers in China. This group seems in the last couple of years to have become shall we see more stratified. There are the makers who focus on the budget knives (or even lower!); many of whom use either unknown steels or 8Cr13MoV or 440C both of which I would generally agree are not known for outstanding edge retention.

But the 'new' makers, (which may include some who have moved up...) seem to be a different school. Amongst them are Kizer, WE Knives, Bestech, Ruike, Steel Will, Reate to name a few. These guys design some of their own; collaborate with well known knife designers; and put out product which can and does stand with the best. You'll find them using S30, S35, M390, D2, etc. And on handles plenty of titanium, carbon fiber, etc. Yet pricing for most is very definitely competitive with most of our more familiar names. (Although some of the WE knives for example are not exactly bargain levels! ;)

Yes, I do own quite a few of the Kizer products.... :)

I couldn't tell from your post whether you were identifying the soft steels with all Chinese makers or were specific on those still using the older, lower grade steels. If I've misread you, I apologize for a bad assumption!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

@Moshe ben David
    I meant exactly what I said - soft chinese steels that go blunt after a few cuts. 8CR13MOV and suchlike.

I might be misinformed on that, but AFAIK Kizer imports the S35V steel from America - and I thought that all the higher end steels are made in Europe and the US and then exported to China.

14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Through my years on the EDC I’ve tried just about everything...bulging pockets, cargo pants, pocket tins, bags, etc. Today I carry a SAK, single cell flashlight, and a pen. Why? Because those are the things I use with consistency. I wait until I get home for the kitchen sink :)

Now granted, my SAK is a Swisschamp, which contains just about everything, but the kitchen sink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I doubt it. Fun fact, China produced more steel in the last 2 year than the UK has produced EVER andare currently producing nearly half of all steel produced globally. They will import some I’m sure, but for pocket knives?

16. Moshe ben David

Yes the better steels are imported into China. I was referring to the finished product - the knives. It appears we are on the same page; just saying it in somewhat different ways. Good to know.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Even though many knives these days tout modern "super?" steels I noticed a while back on some of them the steel just didn't hold the edge all that well. Now this really is not a dig on China, because a fair number of other countries knives can be lumped into this group! What we are now seeing is major testing of these modern steels from fellow enthusiasts.

Just because these manufacturers are touting steels like S35vn, M390, 3v, etc. it does not mean the user is going to get the performance they might expect. Kizer, Reate, We, Benchmade, Lionsteel, and many others are running the heat treat soft. This list is not inclusive of every manufacturer that does this.

There is an optimum range of hardness of individual steels HRC, or Rockwell hardness scale is the measurement used. What this means for the user is the potential of individual steels is NOT being met, and many times lesser steels outperform these so called "super steels".

It can be argued that all of these manufacturers running steel soft do this to maintain the price point, however there is one manufacturer (Spyderco) which thus far seems to run HRC within the optimal range in pretty much every test I've seen. With awareness and market pressure hopefully we'll see others come on board with Spyderco and get steel heat treated properly and within the optimal range.

Personally I had a fairly large collection of knives from some of the mentioned makers and I've whittled that down to just a few and won't be buying more from them until they get with it and properly heat treat the steel.

18. Moshe ben David

I agree with you absolutely that poor heat treat will give poor performance. So far, I haven't had any problems with the Chinese blades, but then I'm hardly a 'hard use' sorta guy.

I also totally agree that I have had nothing but great edges on Spyderco knives! This includes knives from all of the following Spyderco plants: Colorado, Seiko City, China (don't know the locations on these), Taichung, and Italy.

FWIW, my other favorite maker for great heat treat has to be Buck -- their US production.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The slightly cheeky answer is 'whatever you find useful'.

Rather than taking the advice of people who live some very different lifestyles from yourself, I would take a step back and try and think of what you will find useful to have with you. It is very easy to get carried away looking at all the different setups and toolkits found here and see endless things that look like they would be useful, but in reality would they be any use to you, or would they just be adding unnecessary weight and bulk? So taking a step back and consider all the times you thought 'i wish I had x item with me' or 'y would have solved that' and you will find the sort of items that make the most sense in your situation.

I find a lot of the EDC mentality isn't necessarily the act of carrying gear, but just taking that time to step back and think through what you carry - culling the items that are dead weight and looking for solutions to the problems you find crop up. Most importantly this is something that never really ends, it just gets more refined and evolves along with your personal situation.

20. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I split edc into two categories: routine/normal use and emergency use.

Routine/normal use are those items that you anticipate there being a likelihood that you will use throughout the average day or week. They may change based on what you are doing that day. For me those are such things as a Swiss Army Knife or Multitool, flashlight, water bottle, snack, couple basic hygiene/first aid items, in addition to the phone, wallet, keys. This may also include items such as phone charger, power pack, jacket, umbrella, etc depending on your work or activities and the weather. This may also include some less likely items that do not take up much space, but could be useful like duct tape, safety pins, etc.

Emergency use items are more the items that I am unlikely to use, but if a given situation occurred they could mean the difference between life and death. These items are based on what you see as the most likely emergencies you may face weighed in respect to your normal environment and how far you travel from home and by what mode. You may want a gun or other self-defense items, trauma kit, items to survive in elements overnight or even a couple days, etc. If you wear specific clothes for work that might not be conducive to getting home or safety then clothes or at least footwear might be smart. For me now being in a city and usually staying within 10 miles of home driving my own car, I carry a lot less than when I took public transportation or commuted longer distances or when I was living in a colder rural climate. The items you decide are really dependent on how prepared you want to be for what?

As far as specifics like brand or model of knife, flashlight, multitool; that will also vary a lot on your uses, preferences and amount willing to spend. I have gone through iterations as I figured out exactly what my preferences were, then went higher quality once I knew exactly what characteristics I wanted in each tool.

#20 SOS24, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019