1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What strategy do you employ to draw the line on your EDC pack contents Needs V practicality & weight

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I tend to under employ my EDC in a pack for a while then go over board and carry to much.
    I do rotate and pack for tasks but day to day , how do you draw the line and find the balance
    Weight , room for storage etc

AlgoOPC likes this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Here's some wise words from a fellow motorcyclist I met on a campsite once, if he didn't use an item from the trailer that he towed on say his previous 6 trips, he would then stop packing/carrying that item.
    Maybe that could be said for an EDC bag too??

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I use compact, versatile, multi-tasking gear and then ultra-task it (ie, beyond manufacturer intentions). The more functions something covers, the more likely I'll have it with me, and actually use it.

Last edited by reppans, Mar 23, 2019
    #3 reppans, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, this. The do I use it test--applies to backpacking, too.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I try to remember how bad it was the last time when I carried too much and found no real use of much of it.
    This usually does little good,I do not seem to remember.

I just returned from 2 weeks on the road in Montana and I brought more than I think I ever have as I drove there and back.
    It looked like no big problem until I was rear ended in Denver the day before the big storm and had to drive the rest of the way in a Van that I wasn't sure I could open the back of anymore and then I had to move all of the remaining crap after delivering 1/2 of it into a Mini Van!

You couldn't get a Kleenex into this van when I was done.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  6. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

It can be applied to medical kit to a very limited degree, isn't it?

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  7. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Frequency and severity of need can be considered separately, I don't think I would stop carrying lifejackets on my boat because I hadn't used them in six excursions...

In EDC terms the most interesting do-I-carry-it device for me is carrying an Anker powerpack. A great device, but I don't need to carry it every day in an urban setting or in the car where I do have charger capables and a battery charger. Interesting developments with electronic devices (eg new Samsung phones) capable of sharing their battery charge...

tbzbbt

8. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

But, I've got a 20' enclosed trailer and a Cummins diesel... Lol

Wrong philosophy, I know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  9. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

EDC is a fine balance between usefulness during normal conditions, as well as emergency, and size/weight.

If carrying for normal conditions than I usually go by the rule that if I haven’t used it over a certain amount of time then it gets removed.

The emergency items get limited to a small pouch within the edc and would be important for life or survival. Trauma items, firestarter, mylar blanket, etc.

Additional items may be added for the day based on circumstances.

#9 SOS24, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    FiaOlleDog likes this.
  10. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Very good question - and the answer isn't easy, and very likely different for every one.

I try to stick with the likely (keys, wallet, phone plus some micro-editions of flashlight, SAK, etc.) and seldom-but-with-drastic-consequences (pocket trauma kit) mantra - and try to avoid or minimize the likely & seldom with-no-major-impact categories.

For me, it seems it's a never ending search for the unicorn - the perfect balance between carrying as least as possible to do as most as possible with it.

I guess that's why I get so excited with AAA flashlights that beam >120 lumen, titanium stuff (lightweight and strong) and multi-purpose (e.g. SWAT: TQ, pressure bandage, stabilizing limbs, etc.).

Hence my addiction for the daily dose of EDCF, everydaycarry.com, Instagram, pinterest, ... hopefully I will not get cured :D

PragmaticMurphyist and twin63 like this.
  11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I carry for comfort, not for emergency. Off course, it all depends on where you draw the line of both what it means to "carry" and what one define as an "emergency".

I have what appears to be a lightweight on body EDC judging by what some other post around the interwebs.
    Typically; a watch, phone, wallet, pen, chapstick, earplugs, AAA flashlight, <3” knife or small MT.
    These are all items that I’ve found to use so regularly- or is such a pain to not have instantly when you need it, that it’s worth carrying at all times.

My extended EDC that goes in my backpack follow the same philosophy, but it’s good enough to have it nearby.
    Typically; waterbottle, UL rain jacket and pants, backup gloves (winter), laptop with accessories, mobile accessories like earphones and chargers, small powerbank, spare pen, pencil, notebook(s), hand sanitizer, hand cream, toothpicks, dental floss, eye drops, spare chapstick and seatbelt cutter.

I did carry a basic FAK in my backpack at one point, but even if it could mean the difference between life and death in a certain situation, I just couldn’t justify it. I have dedicated FAKs in my vehicles, and I work in an office environment where both generic and specialized first aid equipment are stationed around the facility and maintained regularly.

I will off course adjust according to to many different parameters, but this is my basic EDC that I bring with me most days. It’s adjusted over some time to contain what I would need on a regular basis and kind of modular to be easily adapted to different scenarios. It’s also fairly compact and lightweight, so it doesn’t feel like a burden. It’s actually more to the point where I feel naked without it.

12. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily a strategy, but through trial and error I've found pack size to be a major factor in what I carry. 20 - 25L seems to be optimal. I feel limited with <20L, but >25L is tempting to overload, plus the pack becomes more cumbersome for day to day use.

As for weight, my current load out is 16lbs. I accept that as a trade-off for what I want to carry. My pack is primarily carried from my house to the car and car to my office, so weight has never been an issue. If I were using mass transit and walking several blocks to work, I might very well change my mind. In fact, I am dealing with a back problem that is forcing me to re-evaluate pack contents. I'm going to trim the pack weight down, at least for the short-term. Who knows...I may find that I can manage without a few things.

13. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

I was the worst about overpacking with stuff I didn’t need. Here’s what I ended up doing. I took everything out that I use on a weekly basis and put that in my EDC bag. I’m also going to include my work clothes bag and USAR kit

EDC bag Content (GR1 21L):
    Laptop
    Charger
    Portable battery
    Phone charger
    CCW (my bag stays at the stations I work at for 24 hr shifts, not SUPPOSED to be there but nobody cares)
    Pens
    Book
    Knife

Work clothes bag (Nike Duffel)
    Undies
    Ambulance and Fire T shirts
    Nomex uniform pants
    Belt
    PT shorts
    Dry bag for dirty clothes
    Socks

USAR bag contents (WIP)
    Note, this bag stays at the fire house and if I’m deployed off duty (member of GSAR, Georgia search and rescue), I can drive two blocks to my station to get it.
    Contents:
    T shirts
    Underwear
    Merino wool socks
    Carhartt Pants
    Gloves (several pair)
    Knee pads
    Handheld flashlight
    USAR helmet with ear pro, eye pro, and light
    Camelbak Mule provided by the task force
    USAR Boots

RED-FIVE and twin63 like this.
  14. landwire
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I recently got back from a long trip. Before my trip, my Anker powerpack was not used that often. I brought it in addition to way too many USB wall warts. The powerpack was really the only thing I needed. It came with a mesh drawbag. In the bag, I kept two lighting cables for iphones/ipads. It was used every day as it could charge 2 things at once. Wherever I was staying, I would plug it into the wall. When I was driving, the powerpack would charge things when I needed it. It was great.

For the OP, I started carrying items that had redundancy. This started cutting down the excess items I was carrying. I'm better than I was, but recognize that I still have a way to go before I feel that I got things worked out.

15. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

landwire,

I just got back from a week-long vacation and I, too, used my Anker powerbank in the same way. I carried one Anker USB-wall-wart to charge the battery if I needed to. My Anker is able to charge 3 devices, so, my wife's and daughter's iPhones got charged at night along with mine.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.