1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What state to move to for guns

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by barracuda, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wyager

wyager Empty Pockets

You're not too crazy :lolhammer: and I'm pretty sure most states won't actually care if you sling a rifle over your back down the street as long as you don't look "threatening".

will

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

As long as you have a driver's license "they" already know where you live. ;) Paperwork may be a pain, but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a CCW permit. Doesn't Vermont allow concealed carry sans permit? Don't know for sure...

There are no states that don't keep some type of firearms records, whether it's a license, purchase background check, or whatever. I don't advocate breaking the law, but you could always go through the black market for weapons purchases and concealed carry regardless of any laws.

I respectfully disagree with that. Given how much negative attention given to guns by the press, I can't think of anywhere in the U.S., not even gun friendly Idaho, where there wouldn't be at least one person to call the cops; I would have to believe any cop passing by would also stop to ask some questions. It's all about perception, and right or wrong, it's the world we live in.

3. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

Oh, yeah, PA does not require a course for CCW, and the only places you can't carry are courthouses (but they must provide storage lockers for you), federal and state gov't offices, and schools. No 30.06 signs, no restaurant/public gathering/public transportation restrictions. There is no such thing as "brandishing" in the law, we are working on getting castle doctrine and no civil suit legislation passed, and are no silly laws about printing.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No, you're not crazy. I know of an elderly collector who had to register his SKS as part of a new law in his state. A few years later, the state passed its own Assault Weapons ban. Among the models on the list of banned weapons was . . . You guessed it. The collector ended up with a knock at his door. Thankfully, it wasn't the knock at the door. They only took away his SKS, instead of taking him away.

5. wyager

wyager Empty Pockets

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Of course some retarded hippiecrat or soccer mom is gonna call the cops, but you can't go to jail for it. at least I think that's how it goes :)

will

6. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

As stated earlier, Vermont and Alaska require no permits to carry concealed. In Vermont, at least, if you can legally own a gun you can carry it concealed (I'm not certain if Alaska is similar). You needn't even be a resident of Vermont. You or I could travel there, and as non-prohibited individuals, we can legally carry concealed there.

This is not entirely true. If you're referring to the 4473's that are filled out when purchasing from a dealer, those are Federal forms, not State. Here in AZ...you can purchase a handgun or long gun from an individual, either from classified ads or from a gun show, and there would be no paperwork that needed to be done. You could have that gun in your home for SD, or carry it OPENLY on your person without any paperwork. Yes, if you wanted to conceal a gun, you'd have to apply for the CCW permit. As stated though, this is not necessary in Vermont or Alaska, which means that you could possess and carry guns in those states with no paperwork being done at all.

Tim

7. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I somehow managed to forget that approach entirely. I was only thinking about buying from a shop. Good catch! In that case, it wouldn't be too hard to fly under the radar.

8. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

open carry is not legal in texas unless you are a leo. concealed carry is ok with a CHL which you must be 21 to get.

9. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

If I may ask, what state was that?

10. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

I would guess CA.

11. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

SKS' are banned in CA and the authorities went house-to-house to collect them? I really didn't know that - I thought the 10rd integral mag and lack of a pistol grip made it stay off most such lists. Identifying this state would help the OP narrow his list.

12. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

If it is one of the variations that came with a removable magazine (Norinco SKS Sporter), or was modified to have one (Tapco, etc), or had a grenade launcher on the muzzle (Yugo 59/66), it is illegal for the subjects of CA to own.

The door-to-door part, I don't know about.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yup, The People's Republic of Kalifornia.

The folding bayonet attachment is sometimes enough for the SKS to be classified as an assault weapon.

14. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

Did something get moderated out of here a couple days ago, or did I just fail posting it?

15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Short answer: yes. I'll PM you a slightly longer answer in a moment.

16. bwperdue

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

Carry on; it's all good. :)

17. all_thumbs

all_thumbs Loaded Pockets

Virginia's not bad, Large (normal or full) capacity magazines OK, quick backround check ok, AR and AK ok, relatively easy CCW access.

18. gray22

gray22 Empty Pockets

s.c. is a good place. no limit on long guns per day. purchased 2 pistols last week same day, no problem and no ckeck if you have a carry permit on any of them. High cap. mags ok along with ak and ars no problem. Just a great state to live in, good weather and plenty of lakes, beach 2 hrs. from my home and mountains 1 hr. away. what more could you want? oh! low taxes too! come on down!

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

:censored:! You make South Carolina sound like Heaven.

20. gray22

gray22 Empty Pockets

I have lived in South Carolina all my life. I know alot of people from other states and from what they tell me about Government , local and state, and how they are present in everything you do. I think S.C. is a great place to live. We are still free down here in the Palmetto state. ccw permits, shoot in your back yard , lakes, beach, mountains and great weather. What more could you want? You decide. Oh, I forgot, low crime rate unless you live in Charleston or Columbia counties.