1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What socks

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by kye4some, Dec 30, 2011.

1. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

2. beefstewcheezy

beefstewcheezy Loaded Pockets

we get issued these! they are by far the best mountianeering socks i have ever worn, actualy just posted about them in another sock discusion!

3. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Darn Tough and Smart Wool seem to be the two kings of the sock world. I've never tried either, but I can tell you these mostly-merino-wool socks from Kirkland (CostCo's brand) and Wig-Wam are so much better than any cotton or coolmax socks I've ever tried before.

4. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i plan soon to try the darn tough soxs .. wish i knew about them before this thread

5. 340pd

340pd Loaded Pockets

+1 on Kirkland (CostCo's brand). I think they are 4 pair for 10-12 bucks. One pair of Smartwool runs over $15

6. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

Those are exactly the ones I want to get. Now I just need someone with a Costco card so I can go get some.

7. pike_mazter

pike_mazter Loaded Pockets

For both dress and athletic I buy Gold Toe brand. I get them at Kohls I believe. I only have to buy once a year for regular and once every two years for dress. For hunting / extreme cold I buy Bass Pro Shops Lifetime socks. They are thick, warm and carry a lifetime guarantee, no matter what.

8. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Gold Toe socks.

9. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Merino socks.

Currently wearing a pair of Fila knee-length merino socks. Super warm, non-smelly, uber comfy.

10. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Also see this thread:

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/89502-Cheaper-alternative-to-Smartwool-or-cheap-place-to-buy-Smartwool-socks?highlight=socks

The consensus seems to be Merino wool in some shape or form is the best choice - SmartWool is pricey but lasts a loong time even under heavy use, the Costco brand are very good for the price and the other manufacturers using merino are relatively scarce to locate - though I think I need to check out a pair of the DarnToughs.

11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I'll preface my statements by saying I'm in boots 95% of the time and for hours and hours on end, so my sock preference is based on a very narrow need. That said, I'm pretty much a Thorlos brand boot socks or combat boot socks wearer. The regular boot socks are a bit shorter and have a bit less cushioning then the combat versions. Both can be had in earth tones if you need, or just enjoy, that kind of thing. Can't go wrong with either in my experience.

I usually buy direct from the company's website as they offer free shipping in CONUS on orders of three or more pair (discount to Canada under similar circumstance) and have a buy 3, get one free program several times a year via their email news letter. Anyway, here are the links if anyone is interested. http://www.thorlo.com/socks/army-socks/mid-calf/603.php and http://www.thorlo.com/socks/army-socks/over-calf/181.php

12. fuzee

fuzee Empty Pockets

I am usually wearing Dickies Industrial Work socks and Chippewa boots...

Wool if I am hiking or camping.

13. JMS42687

JMS42687 Loaded Pockets

I only wear Omni Wool during the cold seasons and I love them. They're cheap and wicked warm with no itch. I think very highly of them and anyone looking for good wool socks should try them out.

14. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I have to avoid wool, due to sensitive skin, and I also have feet and knees that hurt a lot. I've found the Thorlo brand socks to be the best I've found for the thick cushioning I need. I started with their hiking socks years ago, but lately I've bought more of their basketball socks, due to the fact that I can get them in solid black for work use in an office setting. Still love and use the older hikers, though, and any other Thorlos with thick padding. Gobros.com has recently had the "buy 3, get one free" sales on Thorlos, like the thorlos.com website.

15. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Costco 4-pack ++

16. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I spend most of my work day in sock feet in peoples basements. In the winter when the concrete is uncomfortably cold I wear SmartWool Hiker Socks. The thickest ones I can find around here. They are nice enough to justify the price for me. Getting some thin spots on the heels tho (after 6-8 months wear, once a week rotation).

17. Bodeen

Bodeen Loaded Pockets

+1 on the wool socks. When in the field (cold and wet) I don't have to change out socks nearly as much as I have to when wearing standard-issue type combat boot socks (cotton/synthetic blend, I believe). With the wool, they tend to stay a bit warmer even when damp.

18. ElChingon7

ElChingon7 Loaded Pockets

I'm definitely going to check out the Thorlos and Darn Tough. Thanks.

19. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing SmartWool socks for years. Love 'em. I buy them as irregulars at the LL Bean outlet store. Half price!

20. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I came across some Danner Merino Wool socks and love them so far. They have lycra around the arches and ride above the calf. I've tried several brands including smartwool, fox river, and cheaper synthetic / wool blends. These are by far my favorites... for the price. I'm not sure if danner or another company actually manufactures them.

Good tip on the outlet stores!