1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What size flashlight do you edc, and is it on your person or in a bag?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by ballard, Mar 4, 2014.

?

How large is your EDC flashlight

1. Keychain sized (up to 1xaaa)

40.1%
  2. Pocket sized (up to about 1 inch, including reflector)

56.7%
  3. Larger (probably too big to be comfortable in a jeans pocket)

22.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ballard

ballard Empty Pockets

What size flashlight do you edc / is it on your body, or in a bag?

I am always interested in how much of people's EDC is on their person, and I view all EDC tools as either reasonably pants pocketable, or not. This is because my edc bag is often not with me, and I don't tend to edc tools in belt sheaths (though I always kind of want to, but my minimalism and edc preferences are in a perpetual struggle).

I see all flashlights as fitting into 3 main categories:

(1) Keychain/aaa

(2) Up to approximately 1 inch diameter (including the head), which can still be fairly easily pocketed (in jeans pockets). This includes most aa lights and many 18650 lights, but not the ones with large reflectors, and

(3) Larger - this is everything much bigger than a WF-501, up to a 6D maglite.

I currently carry a 1xaaa light on my keychain (1), and am considering a (2) flashlight for my bag, with the option of sliding it into my pocket when necessary.

Please include the size/ category of your light since we don't always know every model name off the top of our heads.

Last edited by ballard, Mar 4, 2014
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have an Arc AAA (category 1) on my key ring.
    I have a Thrunite TiS (category 1) in my pocket - mostly as a toy right now.
    In my jacket pocket, I have a Malkoff MD2 (category 3) - two cell flashlight.
    I have a Surefire E1L (category 2) - usually on my belt, currently in my day bag.

I tend not to shove lights in my pants' pocket because of all the other stuff I have - wallet, pocket knife, keys.

3. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

I've pretty much settled on 18350 lights. Lots of power, cheap cells, and rechargeable. Perfect for the back pocket of my jeans. I did carry 18650 lights for about 2 years, and those are very doable, but with modern LED Emitter tech, I just didn't see the need anymore. 18650's go in the bag, 350's in the pocket!

4. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Preon 1 Ti (cat.1), in my Skinth 2XL Shield. A Thrunite Ti (cat.1) on my keychain, These two i have always with me, when i´m not at work.

and a Olight S80 (cat.3) in it´s own sheath on my belt, sometimes...

5. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

I carry a Nebo CSI Edge (category two: 3/4" in diameter and 3-3/4" long.) I used to carry it in my right front pocket but recently I have moved it to a pouch on my belt (along with a Bic lighter, a Skeletool, and a Vic Explorer Plus.)

6. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

Mine is a Fenix E11 which apparently is an immensely popular item. I can't find any fault with it. I keep mine in my bag but it could easily be switched to a pocket if needed.

I also have a Mini-mag (2AA) on the side of my bag mostly because I have it.

powerring, deeker and sungame like this.
  7. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

It varies depending on task!

I always have a klarus mix6 (1aaaa) in a pocket.

If I have a jacket on, I also carry a fenix ld20, dx.com LED lenser p3 or a fenix pd10 or maybe a LED lenser police tech.

If out at night with the pram, I'll chuck a 4D maglite in that, with a terralux 310m upgrade, or a 1x 18650 trustfire thrower.

There's a fenix EO1 on my keys, my man bag has a fauxton on it, and a 2aaa pen torch, and a 1aaa Chinese torch in a maxped mini pouch.

My work torch is the police tech focus mentioned above, my other job work torch is a maglite 2aa led I was issued.

My phone has a torch app too...

I may have a problem.

rangetroop likes this.
  8. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Besides the larger torches which I use for geocaching, I have a Klarus MiX6 on a pocket clip in the LFP, and a Sunwayman V10R in the bag. Spare batteries for both in the bag, too.
    Edit: and a SO-LED in the bag for finding stuff in it.

9. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

I have a Maratac Copper AAA clipped inside my pocket at all times and I keep a Olight S10 baton clipped to my bag. I am wanting the Black Maratac AAA but they show they won't be back in stock til April 15th. Loving the little copper light

docer and Water-Rat like this.
  10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

And the inevitable "Is that a flashlight in your pocket or..." questions? :rolleyes_revamped:;)

ATB,
    Sam

Water-Rat likes this.
  11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depending on who's asking, the answer is usually fairly obvious. :D

12. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty much locked into category 2. Sunwayman m11r daily clipped to pants pocket, ZL 501d in my bag for headlamp use (don't always have my bag with me, but it's always nearby, usually in the car.) AA or AAA maratac in a skinth that I have on a belt occasionally, but not truly EDC. Preon2 usually stays in the pen slot in my bag as well. On any given day, I usually have one light on me and 2 in my bag. Most fall into your cat 2

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

13. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Usually Fenix LD10 on my belt and a Preon Revo in my RFpocket

14. Leverdoug

Leverdoug Loaded Pockets

Usually it a Nebo 1xAA 50lumen light. Fits in a pocket and has a clip that allows it be clipped to the visor of my hat.

But I just got a Genesis Flare penlight/stylus light. $30 and it's great. 120 lumens, 2xAAA. Hasnt left my shirt pocket since I got it (except for using it).

15. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

Always a pd30 in my pocket and a pd35 in the bag which is almost always with me.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

A Fenix e05 AAA in my pocket
    A Zebralight 501 in my bag.

The Fenix is tiny and un-noticeable in a pocket, and honestly does 95% of what I need a light for comfortably. The Zebralight stays in my bag as a bigger brother - brighter, and with the headband for hands free use.

I can't really see the point in carrying much bigger regularly - I have some larger lights that get taken out when appropriate, but too big, bulky and heavy to want to bother carrying without good reason...

17. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I mostly carry a P60 light in the left tool pocket on my carpenter pants. Sometimes I'll go a few weeks with some sort of 2xAA light instead. I'm not sure if I could on body carry a relatively big light but for the fact that I can always wear carpenter pants.

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

How convenient:)
    I just picturized these today at work. (and I EDC a ZebrLight in the bag, along with a SoLED) Yup...5 :D

[​IMG]

19. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

CR123 in my back pocket.

20. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I have a hard time with anything bigger than a AAA light in my pocket. I carry a person p2 (2xAAA) in my pocket at all times and throw a surefire E2DL Ultra (2x cr123) on my belt in a sheath if I'm going to out past dark...