1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What should I use for long term, vehicle trunk, water storage?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by PatriotAR15, Mar 30, 2011.

1. PatriotAR15

PatriotAR15 Loaded Pockets

Everyone says a 72 hr bag, should have water... Thing is, in most mediums, water will either get filled with bacteria, or the material of the container will seep chemicals into the water,... making it taste disgusting.

So what do you use to keep water in your 72 hr bag, located in your vehicle, from going really bad?

Keep in mind, currently I have in my 72 hr bag, an empty camelbak and an empty "nalgene" bottle.

2. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

What's wrong with keeping some sealed, store-bought bottles of water in your trunk?

3. PatriotAR15

PatriotAR15 Loaded Pockets

Water that's in a plastic bottle, tastes like plastic after being left to sit in a car a little while.

4. grimbo

grimbo Empty Pockets

PatriotAR15

You have mentioned three distinctively different issues with water storage, pathogenic contamination, chemical contamination and taste.

Firstly I would address the taste issue, this is rather hardcore so i will apologise, however if the situation is so severe that you are needing to use a 72hr pack bob etc. be thankful you have potable water, the taste of water is not an issue I would even consider, as its life preservation which comes first. You could add some fruit drink powders to make the taste more palatable if it concerns you that much.
    Pathogenic contamination is an issue which will reduce the waters potability, algae being the biggest problem. If the water went into the container sterile then it generally will remain sterile. It is only minute contaminants in the container itself which will produce pathogenic growth over time.
    Algae is drinkable with a minute risk of digestive upset. Keep stored water out of sunlight and this will slow the growth of algae. Pathogenic contamination may require refiltering or purification with chlorine dioxide, which can improve the taste of stored water. In the UK katadyn sell sell micropur forte which is a chlorine/silver ion purifier which can be introduced into water and keep it potable and improve taste for upto sixth months.

In relation to chemical contamination, it is generally accepted that certain plastics in certain specific conditions can leach chemicals into the water contained within, however those plastics are slowly being withdrawn from use e.g. nalgene containing BPA's. It is also generally accepted that in short term use the levels of contamination is so miniscule, as to offer no risk of cancer etc.

Hope that helps

5. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I keep my vehicle drinking water in a cooler (dry, just to temp stabilize it) and rotate it. Smaller bottles seem to work better for the car, I keep a seperate 1G of distilled water for the engine.

Water at home is kept in a cool dark place and rotated. The easiest way to rotate at home is to get a number of Deer Park bottles backed up. Then use them oldest first, putting the replacement at the end of the line. I've got 5 bottles stacked across the lower shelf of a garage shelf - I write the drop off date in grease pencil on the bottles. We generally finish a bottle every two weeks - so the oldest bottles are ~ 90d - I am not worried about trace contamination leeching or microbe growth in that time frame.

6. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

7. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

8. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I keep a dry cooler behind my seat, I drink one now and again, I've never had an issue with even the oldest ones and restock occasionally. The cooler kept from freezing even at -15 for a few days last winter.

9. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I keep the 1 quart bottles of Zephyrhills water in my trunk and rotate them yearly. I just drank 6 that had been there for 14 months and they tasted fine.

10. bolampau

bolampau Loaded Pockets

For emergencies I keep a litre of tap water in an old Rum bottle in the boot of the car. I empty and refill the bottle each week with fresh water. When I need to use the water I'll boil it, in a Jetboil, and make coffee.

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The cooler/ice box is probably the best idea - keep your water bottles dry and empty in your BOB and a gallon of water in an ice box and, as much as I despise them, a box of bottled water.

When/if you have to abandon your car, fill up your water bottles with the sealed gallon jug and use the individually bottles until you run out.

Two links of possible interest: CDC Water facts in a disaster and Food Safety.gov.

-Trevor

12. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I use the dry cooler on the back floor of my truck and keep a few bottles of water in it, during the winter it keeps it from freezing and during the summer I usually keep ice packs in it. The bottles get rotated often enough so I don't have to worry about them. When I go out I add 2 to 4 bottles to the cooler so most times I have about 8 bottles in the car Whatever doesn't get used goes back in the fridge when I get home but the newer bottles stay in the cooler and it's the older ones that go in the house.

13. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

I do the same thing here in TN and it works great for me. I keep a bunch of the 8oz Deer Park bottles in there for me to grab one occasionally if I need to take some Advil or just get thirsty after work. But I also keep 3 one gallon jugs in there so I can fill my CamelBak or Nalgenes if I need to hit the trail for a search or something. (Or bug out!)

14. miller4546

miller4546 Loaded Pockets

in a life or death issue or situation you will drink anything. i promise you that..

if you have an issue with water , use a gallon of distilled water it will keep longer that faucet water because of the distillation. keep in cool place in the vehicle. if you live in high humidity areas like me ...louisiana... or get some form of pba free container.

as for water containers. get a military water jug.
    sceptor water jugs they are the best. that is what the military uses. i carry a 2.5 gallon one all the time brigadequartermasters has them in both 2.5 and 5 GALLON. also walmart, bass pro and cabelas has the blue jugs they are great as well. but get one that features a screw top closure with a wide mouth for easy filling. Pouring is through a small capped opening with a venting cap for easy pouring. These store compactly and stack on top of each.

hope this helps