1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What sharpening system do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by easy76, Aug 12, 2008.

?

What type of sharpening system do you use?

1. Lansky

20 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Spyderco

34 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Free hand on stones

16 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Diamond stones

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Pull thru type

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Other

17 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Voted for free hand, as it is my preference (albeit ambitiously at times) though I do use the lansky for reprofiling

2. smrtprts

smrtprts Loaded Pockets

I went with the sharpmaker. I have been able to get nice edges on a lot of knifes and tools except a cheap tanto smith and wesson. I have done it the same way as other nicer knives but can't get it to consistently slice paper. Who knows. It came from the factory crazy dull. Oh well.

3. giant1

giant1 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the edge pro apex. As long as you understand the theory of how to get a good edge this system is pretty fool proof.

4. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Spyderco tri-angle, as it sharpens almost all steel that I have - VG10, S30V, H1, and 8CrMoV13. Plus I don't have to worry about the correct angle - 40 deg. works best for all knives that I own. Oh, and it also sharpens my nail cutter, peeler, and kitchen knives too - so my wife is happy with it. :)

5. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

Sharpmaker as it's stupidly simple to use. Although it's not the best if the knife is crazy dull or has a weird angle on the grind as it takes a lot of time. The only knives I haven't been able to sharpen on it have been knives other people have given me to sharpen that have edges similar to a butter knife.

6. sesshin

sesshin Loaded Pockets

Razor Sharp paper wheels.

7. leverett

leverett Loaded Pockets

i use a smiths carbide and ceramic combo usually dont use the carbide i never let my knives get dull enough to where i need the carbide

8. richs2891

richs2891 Loaded Pockets

Lansky - put a very usable edge on the SAK / leathermans or swisstools I tend to EDC, its not so good on the bigger blades, which I just tend to free hand on an oil stone.
    Would like a apex edge pro but cant justify the cost !

Richard

9. Bard

Bard Loaded Pockets

if i could steal the diamond stone my friend had, i would... the cut she ended up giving herself from a knife i sharpened with it... lets just say the surgeon who stitched her up said it looked like one of hers (the surgeon's.) but its usually a cheap tri-stone and a ceramic rod.

10. bh49

bh49 Loaded Pockets

I am using sharpmaker for five years and love it. The only complain that I cannot get more acute angle than 15*. Planning to try DMT.

11. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I had just sharpened my knives with a coffee cup. Sounds crazy but it works, ( not razor sharp but sharp enough to pass my cutting test). Since I don't have some uber expensive blades like most people here, I figured I'd give it a go. Works well and fast and the blade doesn't get too damaged in the process.
    Here is a youtube link that guided me:
    [video=youtube;Vi2gzCrS-fE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2gzCrS-fE[/video]
    Now I am waiting for people to jump at my throat. :)

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

^^that's a method I learned from my aunt^^ works well also when you are helping out in the kitchen and the knives you are using are dull. I don't think anyone would jump down your throat for that. Aside from my Sharpmaker, I keep a 12" strip of ceramiic floor tile to sharpen my Chinese cleaver and Dexter butcher knife.

13. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I had noticed that on this forum people tend to take their gear way too seriously, probably because of all the money that was invested in it. I say: if it gets the job done, might as well be a piece of stone (pun intended).

14. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Another ceramic that works is the old knob and tube electrical wiring parts if you ever come upon them! I have a tube that works for a quick touch up!

15. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Loaded Pockets

I free hand with various methods because I like the versatility I can get.

Work up a burr, strop it off... I usually use around a 400 belt to work up a burr but that can vary, after that I strop with a leather belt and pink compound. The results are a hair popping sharp blade.

16. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

Until recently I used the lansky system with good results, but it did have some inconsistencies. I ordered a wicked edge pro pack with my income tax return and it is an outstanding system. I don't exactly agree that it is a cost effective system, but it is simple and removes the human error. The included diamond stones are outstanding and you can make a knife razor sharp within a matter of minutes. I can re-profile an edge in a matter of minutes as well. Most of my knives are 3" to 4" blades and are not full flat ground so I don't have any problems with system (think lansky on steroids). I was between this and the edge pro, but the wicked edge removed the human error so I went with it. I would recommend it if you can justify the money.