1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What self defense objects do you carry? Intended or not intended.

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Lasse Eskildsen, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Lasse Eskildsen

Lasse Eskildsen Empty Pockets

Hello there! I thought I'd make this thread as it could help give some awareness of what you carry that improve your chances of winning in a fight (defensively ofcourse) and also what hinders you.
    I guess "weapons" can be bought into three categories.

1. Things you carry that is made for self defense / harming people - real non-improvised weapons (guns, knifes, batons, tasers, saps, knuckles, spray, real kubatons,)
    2. Things that you choosed to use as improvised weapons and that is part of why you carry them. - things that arent weapons but you know can be used as, or choosed them as a substitute for something alike of the same item but the latter being designed to be a weapon. (pens / flashlights instead of kubatons, walking canes / umbrellas instead of batons, carabiner / padlock instead of knuckles,)
    3. Items that can be used for self defense but you dont intent to carry for that purpose or you havent thought of using it like that when you bought it, maybe you first found out later or even in this thread about its secondary use? (most stuff that applies here applies to number two I guess)

So tell us what items you carry and how they can be used for self defense, if you carry them for that very purpose, or for something else and then "well its quite nice you can defend yourself with them aswell"

You can also include clothing if you want, either ones that might hinder your ability to fight or something that improves it.

I carry a flashlight for self defense as a kubaton / impact tool and that is well, its only realy reason. I never particualy need a light. I also have a swiss army knife in my pocket which is not meant for self defense, but I guess could be used in a last ditch situation if my life depended on it. But its a folder that cant be opened with you hand so would be near impossible to get out mid-fight. And then I carry a walking stick with a knife metal head which is fifty fifty I guess. Its mostly for style as I love canes (I dont physically need them) but I am very well aware it can be used as a fatal weapon and would be my first object for defending myself.
    for clothing I carry a tought pair of leather gloves and while they certainly wont hold against a knife stab I am pretty certain i could punch a slash away without too much damage, in adition they protect the knuckles from impact to bone areas. Now for negative things I have rather long hair which easily could be grabbed, and I wear leather pants that severely impairs my ability to kick. But those two things I wont drop just for that :)

So, give me what yah got and maybe we all can get some new ideas hm? :roof:

2. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

I always carry a spiderco delica wave for utility use but would use it for self defence if I had to. Now that it is cold I have a pair of oakley tactical gloves with carbon fiber knuckles in my jacket pocket, not for self defence either but they will definately help protect my hands and improve my punching power. On my keys I have about 6 feet of paracord that I braided quickly into about a 10in lanyard, I could use it as a flail in self defence but it is just a way to always have some paracord on me and it comes in handy very often. In my car I always have a small aluminum T-ball bat for self defence.

3. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

I carry a handgun and a small folding knife.
    If I cant bring the firearm I ALWAYS have my knife.

4. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I used to carry one in my truck, but it felt too light. I always though of drilling a hole in it and putting some lead shot in it. :D

5. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple of bats in the car.

I've been toying with the thought of making a beefed-up lanyard for a water bottle: 1" webbing in a "nice" pattern, such as hearts, smiley faces, or tie-dye. A reinforced loop for a locking chain link hoop from the hardware store, about 6-8" of play, and a snug-fitting hand loop. I can see it in my head, I just haven't gotten into gear and made the thing.

6. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

i carry a flashlight too, a solarforce L2m with a crenelated bezel. it is the best self defense EDC i can think of here in california specially with some of the local laws. sometimes i carry a 3" folding knife whenever it's legally possible. your cane with the knife metal head wouldn't fly here since it would be illegal.

7. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

As a part of my EDC, I got three that I can turn to, E2DL, BM Mini Skirmish, and metal pen. I don't know if it is just me, but whenever I play a self defense situation in my head I never think about using any items as a weapon. Without sounding vain, I feel like my own two hands are what I am comfortable with. With an impact weapon or knife in my hand, I feel that I cannot properly defend myself anymore than my two hands. I don't have any training so I guess it makes sense, as I don't want my own weapon to be used against me.

For example, if a guy tries to attack me with a knife and I have no way out, I would rather use my hands to try and overpower the attacker and try to control the knife rather than to use my own weapon against him.

8. wolf54

wolf54 Empty Pockets

9. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I just bought a can of OC paper spray (per state restrictions), & I've got two Spyderco Wave knives/ SureFire lights...oh yeah & my BM 1100 Tac pen. everything but the OC is double duty stuff that will work for SD/EDC purposes.

10. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

If I ever get attacked, I hope it's a knife fight. I carry a gun.

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

The items I never seem to be without:
    2 fists,
    2 elbows,
    2 knees,
    2 feet
    and, most importantly,
    1 brain

and sometimes guns, knives, an UZI pen and whatever else is handy. Surprisingly, the other day in class, my pen became the topic of interest and discussion. Oh if they only knew everything else I had on me.

12. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Tell us more (PM me if it's to off topic).

13. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

1. Microtech UTX-70
    2. Boker Subcom
    3. Saber OC spray
    4. Surefire E2DL 200 lumen
    most intended, the knives are for utility not for self defense but can be used as such, thou i would never want to. I carry two knives because the auto is not exactly people friendly, the Subcom is a little more discreet
    I carry my Glock 21 SF in the car if any problems seem to arise when i am driving

14. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Well, I was sitting near the attendance (sign in) sheet and for the first time in recent memory, no one had attached a pen to the clipboard. I was writing with my UZI pen and everyone who came in and wanted to sign in asked if they could use my pen. One person commented on the heft. Another looked at the logo and asked about it. When I explained about the DNA collector, I think they thought I was more crazy than they already had.

15. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

Aluminum pen, occasionally a mini-mag, always a knife for utility (I do not regard them as useful for defense, but could be used in despirate situations), sometimes spray (but usually have one in the car) and most of the time a stout cane. I am licensed for carry, but do not do so for social/pro. reasons...I cannot be known to carry and my state prohibits small pistols.

16. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a hot cup of coffee. I'll have one with me in the morning in a nice metal cup that can at least be used as a diversionary tactic. Also, for those who get their coffee from a chain store, we all know those lids never stay on. Toss the hot cup of Joe at the threat and you can tell the police that the guy smells like a vanilla latte!

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Skilled Knifer can get in close before you'd have a chance to draw your gun.

18. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

19. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

My normal EDC includes two dedicated weapons (handgun and pepper spray) plus a lot of other things that can be used for defense if needed. My pocket knives include one with a 5-1/2" plain-edge blade and another with a 4" fully-serrated blade. Both knives, the pepper spray, and several metal-bodied pens can be used as kubotans. And my pocket light is more than bright enough to blind in low-light conditions.

Given the need I can also improvise flail-type weapons from various heavy items and a large handkerchief or line. The handkerchief can also be used as a sling.

And I carry enough tools to build just about anything if you give me enough time. :D

--Bob Q

20. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Anyone ever watch Gangland. A lot of the outlaw biker gang members carry the already mentioned D cell light. However, another improvised weapon is a bandana hanging out of the back pocket with a padlock attached to the other end. I'm a CCW holder so a gun and knife are my weapons of choice.