1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What SAK do you carry?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by outdoorsman1911, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Schwert

Schwert Empty Pockets

Victorinox Farmer...either my newer Red or the old Silver version. Perfect SAK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

where did you come across the match holder? or did it come i a kit? since it looks like both the knife and flashlight?

3. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

[img width=500]http://tucsonpictures.com/pics/2008-09/00-9-11-08-0025.jpg[/img]

The Executive is what I carry most.. but now i think I need a Farmer.. (thanks again EDC forum.. :rolleyes: )

4. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Anyone knows where I can buy one of those small screwdrivers that fit in the corkscrewthingy?

I carry a Vic Huntsman by the way, and sometimes an old Wenger Backpacker I got from my brother. He found it on vaction to Mexico :)

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I believe the match holder is a K&M Match Case.

6. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

themadplumbarian, the match case is from K & M Match Cases I recommend the long aluminum ones. That way all your matches including the long storm matches from REI will fit. If you are using shorter matches, you can always stick some tinder or other items under the matches.

You will notice some code problems on the web site, but it seems all the pertinent information is there. Don't worry Keith and Marge Lunders, may not be mavens at creating the perfect web site, but they are dedicated to creating the best match case. If I join the words as matchcase, it is to make it easier to find in a search.

I only have one quibble with the long case, it is not quite long enough to fit in a pair of SAK scissors such as come in a Swiss Card. I have been thinking of asking them if they would be willing to make an extra-long case. ;) Another 6mm should do it. The black tubing is shrink tubing that is around a 2 x 1/8 inch ferrocerium rod, and being a bit long, keeps it from rattling. It can always be added to the tinder pile if necessary. There is a tinder-quick tab at the bottom which of course cannot be seen in the picture. Further, if you look very closely there is a small awl needle to the bottom right of the matches. Mors Kochanski keeps a needle in his match case, and that was good enough for me to decide to add one or more. Some have turned the match case into a mini-survival kit. I also have a couple of birch bark disks under the compass protector cap. Make sure to order some spares, I always seem to find a knife that needs one. Even if one does not drink wine the corkscrew is handy for carrying the mini-screwdriver and helping pick out knots among other uses.

------------------
    Goliath, often the retailer of SAK's will also carry spare parts such as the Victorinox mini-screwdriver. It fits fine in the Wenger Evo S17, although it does not show in the pictures. I know FelineVet carries them. Further, Richard at Central Valley Wholesale carries them. I think Felinevet is trying to spend less time on eBay whereas Richard is concentrating more on eBay, but Richard has a link to his eBay store at the web page I linked. Both are very reputable. Felinevet spends a lot of time at the SOSAK section of Knifeforums and SOSAK online where his other "store" is located and which I linked.
    ----

P.S. I see Houdini28 has a good eye, and recognized the K & M match case, while I was busy typing away.

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I guess I have a SAK. Probably from the early 80s. Sheffield England, Stainless INOX blade. three levels deep with blade,saw, bottle open w/straight blade, can open, Phillips, corkscrew, awl and basic tweezers/toothpick. approx 3 5/8" long, black scales. I used to sell a few smaller Sheffields with all the Parker blades I sold. Yes, I know a picture is needed. Along with all the Parker blades I still have. Nice butterfly and swords.

8. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

Look forward to the picture ran23. ;) I enjoyed the description in any event. :)

Goliath, I had an older Wenger where I had to re-groove the Victorinox mini-screwdriver a bit for it to fit. I don't know about your older Wenger Backpacker, even whether it has a corkscrew. Your question implies that it may, but there was a version with a Philips driver. The Victorinox mini-screwdriver fits fine in my Wenger Evo S17. (The S denotes secure or securité for the locking blade.) The Wenger is at the bottom of this picture. Like I said, it is a good idea to order extras, there always seems to be a knife that needs one. I took mine out of my knife one time so my father would have one for his Spartan SAK. I later replaced my mini-screwdriver when I went up to the local outdoor store.

[img width=386 height=640]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4088/wengerevos17victorinoxhpj7.jpg[/img]

9. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

The Venger Evo 17, especially with the new grips, looks alluring. Perhaps time to go Wenger once (never liked the shape of their main blades). A locking 85 mm. one will be a fine second knife to go with a primary fixed blade or large single blade folder.
    So far, here's my Nomad clip mod, been posted in another thread but still:[​IMG]

10. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

@ Donald,

11. psul71

psul71 Loaded Pockets

Everyday I carry a Rambler on my keychain and on most days a Farmer in my pocket. I recently have traded out the Farmer for a Swissbianco Alox Lumberjack. I really like the Lumberjack, but think I am going to switch back to the Farmer. For me it is pretty much the ideal arrangement of tools. I guess I should also mention that I keep a Swisstool Spirit in my Maxpedition Fatboy and a Swisstool X in the glovebox of my truck.

psul71

12. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

Ah, the Lumberjack (open) and the Farmer. Two great SAK's!

[img width=621 height=640]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6704/p9farmeropenlumberjackrfg1.jpg[/img]

13. swissbianco

swissbianco Loaded Pockets

currently in swiss im testing this one:

[img width=640 height=480]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/swissbianco/swiss%20army%20knives/IMG_2912.jpg[/img]

vic +B orange farmer clip

+B

14. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

I'm never without my cybertool. Between that and the Garber recoil, I'm set.

15. miro44one

miro44one Empty Pockets

For me it' s ALWAYS the Victorinox Rally in my backpocket, other than that one its either a Farmer, Explorer or a Tinker.
    I like the farmer best, though. It' s probably one my favorite knives of all time.

16. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

i just got the fieldmaster in the mail today, i really like it i think it has everything i need except pliers which would make it too bulky. its a "little" bulky for the pockets but ill manage.

17. thewayofthegun1

thewayofthegun1 Loaded Pockets

Currently a SAK Hiker. It's been good to me. Very useful and light.

I'm definitely going to get a plain edge one handed trekker which might replace it.

18. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

I used to carry a lot of different SAKs, but now I'm kind of settled between the Soldier (or my next black Pioneer, as soon as I will got it) for urban carry and a red Farmer for outdoors and work. The only alternative I can see is the Hello Kitty of knives, "My first Victorinox" with woodsaw. It's so unthreatening peoples want to hug you, so I take it sometimes in places where a knife can be troublesome. And since I edc state-of-the-art corkscrew in my bag, I don't care about this accessory on my knife now.

19. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

[empahsis added]

Something like the top one? ;D

[img width=640 height=494]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5650/p5saksgpeohtswissbiancogj2.jpg[/img]

20. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Plain one-handed with a corkscrew?
    What's the Swissbianco tax for it? :rolleyes: