1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What really constitutes as "Tactical"

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by nargalzius, Apr 26, 2013.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

And wrapped in some black paracord. You know...Survival Cord?

T.H.Cone and kd7dvd like this.
  2. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

Used to be coyote brown, then foliage, then multicam, then atacs, now kryptek...

3. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

So, if black is the color of Tactical, what is the color of Strategic?

sungame, barlas and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

PowerPoint

5. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Oh, thanks, I didn't know.:D

6. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl:

tmedina likes this.
  7. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

IMO "Tactical" items are/should be made for use in high stress/combat conditions in harsh environments with simple controls and few moving parts. tools and lights should be built for ease of use/durability over weight or multifunctions and able to be field stripped/repaired/change batteries (hopefully without tools needed) under stress easily.

I like all the gear that's out there too but when the S H T F I grab only the gear that works the first time every time

nargalzius and AK Adventurer like this.
  8. nargalzius

nargalzius Loaded Pockets

That's definitely how I operate :)

Still, I did want to see if there could be a "proper" qualification for the term.

The thread that prompted the question was specific to the strobe function in flashlights, but its a great read because everyone has seemed to acknowledge the difficulty of getting at an answer, yet all agree (at least for that thread ) treat the subject matter as a legitimate concern. Legitimate enough that Ken Good himself has chimed in with his opinion on the matter.

What's interesting was that Mr. Good, with all his credentials as far as "tactical" goes, does champion the mindset that tactical can be a very broad spread and shouldn't be shoehorned into specific use. One would think he would be the first to agree that it would be all about military or combat-related stuff.

And this really got me thinking; perhaps its wrong to call ANYTHING tactical - but it's correct to consider using something in a tactical sense (and that would depend on the specific need of the user)

So while I can say I carry knife-x as my "tactical blade" - I CANNOT say it was made to be anything more than a knife (or that it was made as a tactical blade) - at best, it's as the article posted earlier says; it's a "fishing/hunting/etc" knife. But it can BECOME "tactical" if it serves a person to their specific (specialized?) need(s).

In short, the jokes were actually right: branding of a product as such is only meant for it to be "tacticool" - what truly defines it as tactical depends on the user and if it is able to serve its purpose for that particular user.

Much like the use of the term "EDC"; you have a bunch of stuff, but you decide which of them will be EDC and not others - and no one will contest you calling "knife x as my EDC knife."

9. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

10. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

This is an interesting topic and has been discussed many times in many different specific scenarios.

In my view, there is a reason for the 'tacticool' phenomenon, and it is all related to Military and LE design philosophies.

When your life depends on something in particular, or just in the general quality and functionality of the kit you carry, then the design choices made typically focus on the function and this function being performed reliably in the toughest of environments. The result of this is very strong build quality and simple and reliable operation.

The no-nonsense approach to the design of genuinely tactical equipment gives them a robust look, and with darker colours and matte/non-reflective surface being standard parts of the design.

These bags, tools, lights, guns, knives etc work, and keep on working whoever picks them up. Because of this these 'tactical' designs get good feedback from users for doing the job well and not breaking. So now, the objects are well respected, but strangely enough all look similar - tough, black and matte. So people start to see other similar looking objects as good.

So there is the aspect of wanting to look SWAT, or Special Forces, which caters for some of the market, but and I think the main reason for the 'Tactical' appearance being popular is its 'look' being connected to well made and functional design.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  11. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

I think you're on it here. The idea that something is "tactical" in general isn't really a valid description. Something is only tactical within a given context. In most cases with knives and lights, for example, the context is assumed to be military or law enforcement. And it conveys the sense of being made to accomplish a specific job for someone in that context.

But a "tactical" tanto plain edge assisted open lock back knife might not be considered "tactical" to the hiker in the backwoods or the rock climber because it isn't made for those contexts. It might still be useful for the the hiker or the climber, but it isn't really built for those roles.

In the end, it's basically being used to cash in on the tacticool trend that subwoofer, Wojo, and others brought up in here previously. It means whatever the manufacturer/marketer wants it to mean based on the audience they are going after....

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

The Military and LEO's I've talked to could give a rats a## whether something is "tactical" or not. They just want reliable gear that suits their mission. Unfortunately, stuff they are issued doesn't fit that description 100% of the time. So, when given the option, they'll invest their own hard earned dollars in gear they trust and you'd be surprised what they use.

For instance, one LEO I talked to (who is also an EDCF member) uses a GoRuck GR1 with a Tom Bihn Freudian Slip. He said for his real world applications, the setup really worked for him. Just one example.

13. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

I so want to wrap some camo duct-tape around the handle of the toilet brush now :)

t

mole likes this.
  14. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

I've never bothered to get a strobing light, but smarter guys than me like them [shrug]. I've only fiddled with the Gladius.

The part about a slow strobe masking someone's movement was interesting. The effect of strobing on someone is probably a wee bit exaggerated. Interesting post in any event

15. Lone Airedale

Lone Airedale Loaded Pockets

I won't buy anything described as "tactical."

16. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

In the spirit of the gist of this thread, I'm going to say that everything that passed through MacGuyver's hands became tactical. The dude even had tactical chewing gum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

SAKplumber, nargalzius and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just about anything in a Nutnfancy video.

jph0200 and SAKplumber like this.
  18. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Exactly. The term "Tactical" is entirely subjective.

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And, usually, a marketing ploy.

(sent from my tactical keyboard)