1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What really constitutes as "Tactical"

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by nargalzius, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nargalzius

nargalzius Loaded Pockets

I was reading a very enlightening post in a flashlight forum that describes what "tactical" for them means. The guy was a Law Enforcement Officer and from years of data gathered he made the argument that a flashlight is considered to be tactical if it had certain functions, etc.

Obviously, those included strobe, momentary, etc. it also made sense why those with raised buttons can be considered "tactical" because of the ease of use in high pressure situations - and again this was solely through the lens of law enforcment.

Which got me thinking, the whole concept of tactical surely is easy enough to grasp in context of the use of a flashlight. But what about other objects? Are there general standards for each object to be considered as "tactical"?

Like can a bag be considered as tactical if it's merely got lots of pockets and thingies you can attach stuff to - or does it depend on how easily it secures/deploys the objects it carries?

What about a pen? I've been seeing "tactical pens" but all they usually really are are bad :censored: military-looking pens. Is it about the durability, the size, the grip? Should the ink be waterproof? Etc.

And knives I would imagine would be deployment speed. So is an assisted blade more tactical than a manual folder? Or will it depend on the use - in that case aren't all knives tactical to the purpose they are made for - or is it specific to military-oriented use?

It seems that the word has been thrown a lot for marketing hype - I wonder if anyone really bothered qualifying WHY the object was called "tactical" in the first place.

Rescueme likes this.
  2. yakuzaboss

yakuzaboss Loaded Pockets

From a marketing standpoint, it just sounds cooler...or is it tacticooler? Lol. Add 'Tactical' in front of almost anything, you've added instant appeal and interest. Flashlight...boring. Tactical Flashlight...WOW! Pen...meh. Tactical Pen...YOWZA! Tactical Broom...why not? Tactical Toothbrush...instant tacticoolness.

All kidding aside, a product being described as 'tactical' can lend itself to possessing tactical functions for certain purposes.

sungame likes this.
  3. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

If your military/police etc, and an item helps you accomplish a task you have been given, then it can be called 'tactical'.

If you're a bloke on the street, you carry 'a knife' or 'a torch' or 'a bag'. End of chat. It's not tactical, no matter how black it it painted, you are not a high-speed operator.

4. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

Then it's not tactical, it's "tacticool". Tacticool= anything black, camo/earthtone and generally non-reflective.

barlas likes this.
  5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Similar topic going on over in the knife section, Food for thought for y'all;
    http://edcforums.com/threads/tactical-knives.108320/

G.
    (not trying to divert the discussion from here to there, this is Deffinatelly a different question, just trying to provide some viewpoints...)

sungame and nargalzius like this.
  6. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

'Tacticool' to be is anything that makes you feel like a spy or something as you carry it. xD

AK Adventurer likes this.
  7. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

Much ado about nothing. I can tell you that I would not want the Surefire I carry in my pack if I was shooting at someone in the dark because it's two stage and cycles through bright/low v. only being bright. But my surefire I carry with my pistol sucks as a regular light because it burns through batteries

My buddy was hog hunting with a bunch of guys who had machineguns. But the guides got lost and as the night got longer one by one the high powered surefire lights winked out. So a bunch of guys armed to the teeth were stuck stumbling along in the dark by star light.

Lots of the steely eyed killer types think all this stuff is dumb and never use any of the military type gear outside of work. Lots of guys in the military just have whatever CRKT knife the PX sells or they were issued because they just use them to open boxes and stuff, not stab people

Assault packs for most of us are an affectation, and I probably have more than any 5 or 6 of you combined. They have some practical uses as being more sturdy, but basically they are bought because they are neat.

There were what appeared to be two plainclothes police officers or feds in one of those photos before the Boston bombing. They stood out like sore thumbs with assault packs, tactical pants and hats from a famous firearms trainer. The serious guys would have been in carhart jeans and timberline or merrill boots to not stand out

Buy what you enjoy and don't worry what others think.

8. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

I think that's not 100% accurate. I have a light on me that is solely intended for use with the pistols I carry. Lights used for low light shooting are not the same as the light you use to find your keys you dropped in the bushes coming home from the bar.

I knife with a wave or a clinch pick is designed to be used quickly in a fight and is different from a regular swiss army knife or delica

Just because I am not SEAL does not change that I have a "tactical light" anymore than that my sniper rifles are something else because I am not a sniper.

If you buy a race car you have a race car, even if you use it to drive to the grocery store and back.

9. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Gee, I thought it just had to be painted black... :D

sungame, barlas and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

What is it that makes any object "Tactical"? The mindset of the person holding it; and, like KD said, it has to, of course, be painted black.

Sorry. I tried being serious through the whole post, but I just couldn't help myself.:D

mole and sungame like this.
  11. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

You trapped in 1993 ;P Black hasn't been tactical in decades "target identifier black'and all that.

I was at a carbine class once and a guy showed up with a black assault vest, you know those nylon things with the mag pouches and stuff. I think he still gets ribbed about that

kd7dvd likes this.
  12. T.H.Cone

I guess that's why they are having so much trouble selling "black rifles" these days.

kd7dvd likes this.
  13. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

You call that "funny" but I call it "progress" ... I'll join the 21st century before 2034, I promise! :rofl:

T.H.Cone likes this.
  14. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

Gotta paint em to be a cool kid!

15. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

You're probably better off where you are.

I was out to dinner with a buddy who told a story about punching an Iranian who was working at a Texas oil company who made a crack about the American military during the Iran hostage crisis. my wife (who is younger than me by about a decade) whispered "what hostages"

kd7dvd likes this.
  16. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think "Tactical" means add 30% to the price...

I tend to think of things made for the military or police when I hear the word "tactical", something designed to peform a non-pedestrian task.
    Actually I kinda like this...
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tactical
    Now go back one more...
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tactics
    b: the art or skill of employing available means to accomplish an end
    This is my definition of tactical, anything I need to get something done that I NEED done. Can't see (flashlight) need to cut (knife) need to take apart (multitool). I'm comfortable labeling any of those things "tactical".

17. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

And by "like" I really mean :censored:

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

It helps if it says "TACTICAL" on it in really big letters:D

sungame, barlas and kd7dvd like this.
  19. T.H.Cone

LOL, what's cooler than black?

mole likes this.
  20. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

At this point tactical seems to be whatever you want to make of it. Trying to define it is not really worth the effort in my opinion. If someone really thinks an item is or isn't tactical in their mind it won't matter someone else thinks or tries to convince them of.

kikaida and mole like this.