1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What pouch is best for urban EDC?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Dedrich, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at the maxpedition pouches, but am having a hard time figuring out what would work for me. I carry a Timbuk2 Medium Messenger "Classic" Bag, and would like a pouch that can fit inside it, and be large enough to carry urban-ish EDC

- anker 15000mah power bank for smartphone + microusb cable + wall adapter
    - a small notebook + pens + pencil
    - a knife
    - small multi tool (I don't have one but maybe gerber dime)
    - additional EDC stuff: paracord (not a lot), small flashlight, band aids, lighter / matches, pill box

What do you think would be the smallest EDC pouch that could hold all of this? And have a little extra room to spare? The Maxpedition Beefy probably does this and much much more, but I wonder if it's going to be too bulky to carry inside the Timbuk2 bag. Not that I'm going to do this all the time, just when I travel / go to work. After work and out and about I have another man bag (purse) that would probably only hold the pouch.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I don't know how big the power bank or the wall adapter are but everything else should fit in a fatty without a problem.the beef can get huge so it's unlikely you'll want it in a messenger bag,especially a medium messenger bag.
    theres a couple of pics of my fatty in my edc thread here (really need to update that thread) http://edcforums.com/threads/hi-its-mes-edc-thread.118405/
    theres a pics on page one and on page two.

theres some pics of my beefy here http://edcforums.com/threads/my-mr-spartan-came-in-today.123720/page-2

I really don't think you'll want the beefy lol

3. Etrange

Etrange Loaded Pockets

I second Maxped Beefy, but not sure if it will fit.
    Also take a look at Vanquest organizers, 2 of 4 seem to be big enough.
    If you would make a photo of your stuff put alltogether, we could make a better approach.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Beefy and Fatty are very different in size and capability but there is no way anyone but you can quantify exactly how big your load will be?
    The Fatty is pretty capable and even it may be bigger than you need,without pics of your load how can anyone really help you here?

You can certainly get the items yo mention that will fit in any of the pouches but if it is using the stuff you already have then its a different story.

5. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes, pictures would help so here the are:

[​IMG]

Here's some of the stuff --- I don't have it altogether. If there is enough room I'd also like to carry the power supply for my laptop (as that's and EDC for me) in the pouch... but that is a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Also would do a smaller notebook, in the moleskine volant style or leuchtturm.
    Other things to add (which I don't have or don't have together yet)
    - multitool
    - small stuff - paracord (3-5 feet), lighter, matches, tinder, band aids, pill box, earbuds / headset, small flashlight

I like the idea of something that will fit and not overwhelm the medium messenger bag (which will also have my laptop in it) but that can possibly hold more stuff should I was to EDC more. Also transferability would be great, i.e., I have a Rapiddominance Heavy Weight Field Bag, and would love to just drop the EDC pouch into it.

[​IMG]

My intuition is telling me the Beefy is going to be too large? Maybe the fatty is the right size? The Vanquests look interesting though they're about the same price, and the options are roughly the same size as Maxpeditions?

Thank you!

6. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I don't think that will fit in a fatty,i believe you'll need a beefy.
    It MIGHT fit in a fatty but i don't know for sure.

7. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Like any good EDC-addict, I'll probably end up getting both.
    ;)

Etrange likes this.
  8. Etrange

Etrange Loaded Pockets

My opinion is same.
    As to Vanquest, their bigger organizers are similar in size to Beefy but have more elastic loops which could help you to secure more stuff. I'd say that Vanq orgs are upgraded Maxped :)
    Be careful, one of Vanquest org is thicker than another.

9. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Ended up with the fatty

Its pretty much the right size as long as I get a thinner notebook. In the following shots I am using a hardcover leuchtturm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As predicted, I will prob get a beefy next or try a vanquest.

survivorman likes this.
  10. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why not a Skinth Jotter or similar....

11. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Hadn't heard of them before, looks interesting...

12. drunkengarbagecan

drunkengarbagecan Loaded Pockets

If you can live without all the organization loops, just get a small e-reader or tablet case and toss the stuff in there.

13. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Well, as was recommended, the fatty is a bit small. The main problem is the massive 15000 mAh anker power bank. That thing is huge. The solution? I just ordered a vanquist edc husky larger one (not the slim). I also picked up a 2nd power bank, a much slimmer anker that's 4600 mAh... perhaps a bit extraneous and I'll have to figure out what's best for EDCing.

One of the most fun, yet expensive, things about EDC is the experimentation!

14. Whiteswoodworks

Whiteswoodworks Loaded Pockets

Check out the Spec ops Rat pack organizer.

sbillard likes this.
  15. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

The Cooper Expedition pack would probably fit the bill. I'll try and snap a few pics of one of mind in a few...

Dedrich likes this.
  16. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Googled, looks pretty sweet. A bit rich for my blood this month at least. I'm tapped until the next payday!

17. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Got the vanquest edcm-husky today and loaded it up for an upcoming trip this week. Its going to be my ETC (every travel carry).

[​IMG]

Etrange and survivorman like this.
  18. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

+
    1 for PackRat ! its pockets are way better than elastic bands, and it holds a lot of stuff.