1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Pocket Notebook / Pen combination?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by snowkiwi, Jun 24, 2014.

1. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My long lasting favourite jotter is a really cheap type of Filofax filled with pages cut from old ledgers or notebooks. I find that the paper used in older notebooks can be really good quality.

My pen is one I made myself out of aluminium and it has a medium blue Fisher space pan refill

[​IMG]

2. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I'm another that uses Leuchturm 1917's plus a fountain pen. My personal choice is the 5x7" dots with a softcover. It's light, very good paper and the cover is also much more durable than the Moleskin.

Moleskin bled through with every fountain pen I used.

Rhodia I also tried. Super smooth and slightly heavier paper. Curiously, the finish on the paper (clay?) seemed to come off a little and after a while would clog the fountain pen nib. And its not a cheap, rough nib either. So while I liked the paper, it turned out to be a no. I carry 2 - 3 notebooks at any one time in my bag. They get used for a lot of work notes, sketches and diagrams. Tend to use cheapo gel pens and pencils for colour work.

3. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

I really like the idea of the 5x7" grid dots. Are the dots subtle on the Leuchturm? The image in Amazon makes them look too overt to me.
    Id love it if Leuchturm did white dots.

4. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

The dots are really very subtle. A mid to light grey printed on the cream pages. I seem to recall they barely register on a photocopier. Enough to be a useful guide, not too much to be intrusive IMHO.

snowkiwi likes this.
  5. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Good to know, thanks.

6. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Right now I have two pens, a Lamy Safari and a Parker Jotter, and two pads, a Moleskine Cahier and an Apica CD-10. The double up is due to the fact that I have carried a jotter and moleskine for years and now I just stepped up to using a fountain pen and my Lamy didn't write very well in the moleskine and I am giving the Apica a try.

snowkiwi likes this.
  7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I usually use a dollar tree mini composition notebook in a homemade leather cover and whatever pen I happen to be carrying that day.
    For a 33.3 cent notebook the paper is shockingly fountain pen friendly, but I can't comment on ultrafine sharpies. Haven't used them for general writing in quite a while (no need for me).
    I have an Ecosystem notebook that seems quite nice, but I usually use pencil in it (purpose driven) so I can't comment on ink compatibility.

snowkiwi likes this.
  8. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I've been using a pocket Moleskine and a fine nib Platinum Plaisir fountain pen with black Stipula ink, as of late. No bleed through or feathering. I may have gotten lucky with the Moleskine this time around. It is hit or miss with them when it comes to paper quality. Normally, I will pair up a Moleskine notebook or planner with my Fisher Bullet Space Pen. (I pop a quiver pen holder onto the Moleskine when I use the bullet pen. They are a good fit.)

My favorite notebooks are composition books with brazilian paper. I use both the full size and the mini. Both work well with fountain pens.

snowkiwi likes this.
  9. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

My current EDC:

[​IMG]

Moleskine Volant (extra small, white, lined)
    Fisher Bullet Space Pen (chrome) loaded with a Zebra JK-0.5 gel refill

Loving this super small combo right now for my daily needs. The Volant notebook fits perfectly in a shirt pocket, tucked down so it doesn't stick out and get in the way of anything. The pages are perforated if I need to tear out a note for someone. The Moleskine paper works great with the gel refill I have in my bullet, and the 0.5 size is perfect for my small writing. I also really like the cover on the Volant. It seems more durable than a Field Notes type cover; not sure how to describe it but it almost has a thick vinyl feel to it.

snowkiwi likes this.
  10. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I vote for the Pentel. I haven't tried the Zebra, but I prefer the Pentel over the Uni-ball. For writing for writing's sake I prefer that at the top. I have Zebra ball points (F701, M301) for day to day worky sort of writing.

snowkiwi likes this.
  11. Dave613

Dave613 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Filofax, in this case Chameleon Mini with a Kaweco Lilliput FP, EF nib. Been in daily use for a year now.
    [​IMG]

I also use a pocket size Holborn as a photography carry along data/note book with a Zebra Sharbo X multi-pen:
    [​IMG]

snowkiwi likes this.
  12. GigantorTX

GigantorTX Loaded Pockets

I use a cheapo 3x5 spiral notepad and a Zebra F-301 compact ball-point. It fits inside the spiral wire and all fits in my back pocket.

13. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Good idea for pen carry, but I hate putting spiral in my pocket.

14. GigantorTX

GigantorTX Loaded Pockets

I usually do too, but it's only in my pocket if I'm standing. I have a habit of unpacking all pockets and taking off watches and other gear before I sit down.

15. gcg79

gcg79 Empty Pockets

Greetings everyone,

I loved the post subject. I usually use the blank small moleskines for daily notes, taken with an UniPin Fine Liner 0.05 (yep, that's extremely thin, the thinner the better!).

I usually use the same pen for my weekly planner (a small hardcover Moleskine-like planner).

Enviado de meu SM-G530H usando Tapatalk

BJJ0725 likes this.
  16. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Here's my take having been inseparable from my moleskines for however long: Rough use, hard use gear = Write in the Rain or standard orange Field Notes. My gripe with both of these is I hate ballpoint pens, even my space pens, and I hate writing in pencil unless on a desktop or hard flat surface. Both these books require ballpoint or pencil. I ditched Moleskine in favor of Leuchtturm and haven't looked back. The subtle differences make the most impact!

I use an A5 medium Leuchtturm bullet journal paired with a Pigma Micron fineliner with archival ink. Writes like the sharpie you are used to, doesn't bleed like a rollerball, and the leuchtturm handles it like a champ. I used to be a front side of the page only person until this combo.

Colt Seavers and ecksdog like this.
  17. Eaton

Eaton Empty Pockets

Rite in the Rain 3x5 spiral notebook. I carry one in my pocket everyday and they hold up fine for the 2 months it takes to fill one. For writing I use a ballpoint, space pen or pencil. I've used this combination for years and it always works.

18. topazbullet

topazbullet Loaded Pockets

Field Notes with dot paper and a Pilot G2. I've tried to own a nice pen many times but I just lose them too often. G2 is the best "disposable" pen IMO

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've been using a Piccadilly pocket notebook (basically same size etc of your iconic Moleskine!), with a 'Quiver' pen holder on the spine. A Retro 51 'Donald Duck' bp lives in the Quiver; loaded with a Fisher refill. The Piccadilly actually is reasonably fp friendly; but I don't have a fp that I feel comfortable carrying exposed in the Quiver. My preference would be something like a Pilot VP (I've several), but they're too large. I know the Pilot Decimo (very similar to a VP; thinner and shorter) is now available here but I haven't made the move on one...

This pocket notebook is for random jottings; sometimes just a daily bullet list of ToDo's.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

I'm a wildlife and fisheries major so I'll just say space pen and a rite in the rain pad:giggle:

WillAdams likes this.