1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What pens do you use at work?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by iacchus, Apr 8, 2016.

1. zestyalpaca

zestyalpaca Loaded Pockets

I keep a few Pilot G2's in my desk and carry a Parker Jotter for lending. If someone wants to try out a fountain pen, they get to test drive the Safari or Kaweco Sport. Everything else is off limits. The person who once dropped my Sailor Sapporo ruined it for everybody.

Colt Seavers and Moshe ben David like this.
  2. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

The exact same thing happened to me. I don't see why people need to be so ham fisted with writing instruments, they hold them like they are three years old and it's a piece of chalk instead of some well crafted fountain pen etc. Then you get the "it's only a pen" line which really rubs me the wrong way !! ooooh i'm all riled up now lol :censored:

Last edited by Colt Seavers, Sep 15, 2016
  3. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

My guess is that they are so used to the pressure needed to write w/ a ten cent Bic, that they just do that w/ every pen they touch now.
    Warning them beforehand doesn't seem to help any, either.

4. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I think it is due to the disposable society we live in among with the Walmartization (aka the race to the cost reduced bottom). More and more items are super cheap and disposable. Many/most people cannot wrap their heads around a $50 pen let along a $500 one. Given that, they tend to treat all pens like crystal Bics (which are an abomination).

Colt Seavers, iacchus and Flashman like this.
  5. Siwhite

Siwhite Loaded Pockets

We have a big box of throw-away plastic pens that cost a couple of pence each - they are useful to grab if someone comes in without a pen. I'd never lend them MY pen - I keep a lovely Parker fountain pen in my pocket just for my use!

iacchus and Colt Seavers like this.
  6. Dmonfire

Dmonfire Loaded Pockets

I've been using a Fisher Space Pen for a while now. Though as a disclaimer we're required to use either those or pencils here. And save yourself the trouble and just get the fine tip.

7. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple of bullets tucked into pockets of different bags. Never ever used them. I guess because there has always been a full-sized alternative. When I tried them out I couldn't see what the fuss is about but I bought into the hype anyway....

I've just ordered a Kaweco short black ballpoint which appears to be quality in a small package...

tbzbbt

Colt Seavers and iacchus like this.
  8. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I think I have lost at least 5 fisher bullets by now.

I really like the look of those Kaweco sports, but I haven't picked one up by now.

Colt Seavers likes this.
  9. Spyder1

Spyder1 Loaded Pockets

Usually whatever I can swipe from the nurses station but on the look out for something that I can rub down with alco wipes that I won't be too distraught over if it ends up in the bottom of a clinical waste bin. Recommendations ??

10. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

I've got a few of the Kaweco sport items. I've been toying with getting the Stonewash AL Sport Fountain Pen. It looks so nice. Even the regular version writes really smoothly. Well worth the money. The clutch pencil is good too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sungame, BJJ0725 and iacchus like this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

wrt how people grip writing instruments, my own theory is this ties into the disappearance from schools of teaching any form of cursive. Or, looked at from another perspective, the disappearance in general of teaching kids table manners and how to hold a knife and fork. I am constantly amazed at how even well groomed adults no longer seem to have a clue as how to hold/wield a knife and fork even in the most high end dinner situations. The same as you point out, for how they hold pens etc.

What isn't taught (be it by school or parents) won't be learned, with the result being what we're observing... I really don't think it derives from the cheap disposable pens. Pen people hold even the cheapest disposable the same as a good pen. All goes to education IMNSHO!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

oedipus1978, iacchus and Colt Seavers like this.
  12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I actually think it's a little of both. I agree that there is a loss of respect for pens and writing in our digital age, as the teaching of penmanship has declined in schools. Kids don't learn the satisfaction of writing with nice handwriting using a quality tool, and that carries over into adulthood.

There is also definitely some "disposableness" in the way people think about pens brought on by today's more replaceable society. I am a teacher, and my students frequently ask me about the pen that I'm using. When I tell them how much my Mover/Shaker/Maxmadco/TiBolt/Render K/etc. (whatever I'm using that day) costs, they frequently say "why would you pay that much for a pen?!? I can get them at the dollar store and they work just fine!" I usually shut them up by asking, "then why are you wearing Nikes? Doesn't the dollar store also sell sneakers?" We then have a short discussion about how people assign value to items that are important to them and are willing to pay more for quality versions - be it pens, sneakers, computers, cars, etc.

I just think that people increasingly don't understand the value of a quality pen & ink combination anymore.

TV09, tbzbbt, Moshe ben David and 3 others like this.
  13. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

While technically not for work. I use a lamp safari with noodles burgundy for university.

14. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Pilot 2020 Shaker 0.5 in Blue Color and one Pilot Super Grip 0.5 in Black version as backup. I like grip on those and use it when I'm writing for long period of time.
    Vintage Extremely rare 2020 which is on top, black with yellowish stripes:
    [​IMG]

15. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

I really, really like this Bronze Tactile Turn but the clickers are garbage. Even after buying three failed clickers from Tactile Turn I just could not give up on this pen I enjoyed writing with it so much. And when I found out the Tuff Writer Clickers work with this pen it gave it a whole new life and a whole new enjoyment using this pen all day on the job.
    [​IMG]

IGetov, Colt Seavers and iacchus like this.
  16. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I mostly use pencils at work (wooden, drafting, and lead holders...whichever tickles my fancy at the time).

I've got some Uniball 207 pens sitting on my desk in blue and red ink for marking code if I need to, but if I need a pen, the pen I use the most is the Fisher Bullet in my phone holster since it is always on me.

--flatline