1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What now???

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ItsHardToKnow, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Got a question for you watch wiz folks:

So I picked up a Victorinox watch used recently, cant tell you a model number or anything like that.
    It came with a stretchy/flex band on it...which I cant do.
    So today I looked at it a while and figured out how to remove the strap with a small flathead.

But...What now???

I want to put a leather strap on it, but Im not sure how I would even attach it to the watch as there is no pin anymore (the pin was built into the flexband).

Where do I get a pin so that a strap would even attach?
    I dont care if its NATO style or a 2-piece strap, but I want a decent (NOT EXPENSIVE lol) leather band, but I need to know where to look for that too.

I think I only paid 35 bucks, shipped, for this watch. So Im not looking for a $100 strap etc

2. ItsHardToKnow

and, so you can see what Im working with, here is the watch
    its not perfect, as you can see.
    Around "6" there are some scratches on the face, and some light marks in the bezel itself, but it'll be a wearer so Im not too worried about it.

In real life its more red, not quite as burgundy as in the pic.

[​IMG]

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I would think that the back of the watch would give some useful information in terms of model number and/or serial number. With that information and the photo you've posted, maybe you can contact Victorinox regarding pins? Or even better, is there a real watchmaker (as opposed to a jewelry shop or mall kiosk that only change batteries) anywhere close to you?

Clearly you can measure between the lugs for the size of a strap (in mm of course); that would be useful information for buying pins. Some of the on line places that sell NATO and Zulu straps often 'bundle' pins with straps. The only question in my mind might be whether or not the holes drilled in the lugs of the watch are of a standard diameter or not for the pins. I have no idea how you would get that information other than via a watchmaker or Victorinox.

Nice looking watch. Reminds me of a Swiss Army watch I had years ago; it died and I have no idea where it is -- too many changes of residence since then!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. ItsHardToKnow

Unfortunately there is NO information on the back as far as model or serial number etc, just basic brand stuff and stainless steel and water resistant

5. Moshe ben David

Bummer! Still, maybe Victorinox customer service can help. Ya never know!

Or else, hope you can find a watchmaker....

Moshe ben David

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

What you want are a couple of appropriately sized spring bars.

The first place I would check would be the original step if you still have it - having a spring bar integrated into the strap seems an odd thing for what looks like a typical mounting, so at a guess I would check the strap to make sure the spring bars aren't just stuck inside the loop on the end on the strap - grab hold of the end and give it a pull to see if it will slide out.

If you can't get the original bars back, then I guess it is time to buy a new pair - these are a readily available part for a watch that you should get at places like a jewellers, watch smith or really anywhere that will change a watch battery for very cheap. Failing that they can be found online from somewhere like ebay or a watch shop.
    The big difference between different spring bars is the length, which you can find out by measuring between the lugs of the watch - likely 20mm or 18mm. I would hazard a guess that it will just use the regular diameter bars rather than the 'fat' ones some watches use, but that is just a guess on my part - the best option would probably be to check with a jeweller who will be able to fit them and check.

As for finding a band to suit, the important number is the size of the strap (the same dimension as for the spring bar - the distance between the lugs) and beyond that you can pick and choose whatever catches your attention.
    It may be worth checking out a few different options - picking up a cheap leather strap, nato type strap, etc. and experimenting a bit.

7. ItsHardToKnow

DOH!
    There was so much crud that with a little push they came out.

Also, 20mm between the lugs

8. Moshe ben David

Well! With the spring bars and the measurement between the lugs, literally the world is your oyster now! Have fun! If you go the route of NATO or Zulu type straps, you'll have the ability to easily change straps at any time, giving you all kinds of flexibility on how to wear that watch!

Enjoy!

Moshe ben David

9. ItsHardToKnow

additional question for you:
    Its 20mm between the lugs - do I order 20mm or one size lower?
    I ask because there has to be room for the screwdriver/tool to access the springbar

10. Moshe ben David

I've been recently researching this for one of my watches; its why it was so fresh in my mind. Everything I've read says you would order a strap that measures the distance between the lugs; in this case 20 mm. I've had the same concern as you bring up; but that's what I keep reading!

Moshe ben David

11. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

If it's 20mm between the lugs, order a 20mm strap.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Order a 20mm strap.

Other than special cases like metal straps (which use other workarounds), watch straps will all be a bit squishy - so despite the fact a leather strap will fill the gap between the lugs completely, you will still be able to squash it up a bit to get a spring bar tool in and release it.

To think about it form the other direction, it looks pretty bad having a poorly fitting strap with a gap on either side too...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pick a strap you like now that you have bars and the measurement. Seidel makes some passable inexpensive stuff, Hadley-Roma is worth looking at for leather, and I'm rather partial to Maratac Zulu and NATO bands, though you can probably find high-quality ones for less money now that they're popular. Zulu/NATO bands are nice if you feel like you'll want to switch straps often. They can be swapped in a hot minute without having to remove or replace the spring bars.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

Zulu/Nato will look great on that watch. Pick one of the hundreds of color combination available and get to it. Only thing I would recommend is to get 20mm curved spring bars. I prefer rather thick quality Zulu straps and the curved spring bars really do preserve your edges if you swap straps a lot like I do.