1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What NOT to do with your new EDCF Manix 2 when it arrives...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by tower, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I've seen idiots break fixed blades doing the same things he was doing with that folder, i.e. wedging the blade in a cut and twisting or prying to get it out. That is abuse for any knife, and a hallmark of poor knife skills. I don't coddle my knives, but I don't deliberately try to break them, either.

2. crawdad62

crawdad62 Loaded Pockets

I agree. Sure it was over the top but that's the point. It was interesting to see how much it could take. I'm like you disappointed in the lock failing so easily and the side to side play also isn't great.

3. shokthx

shokthx Loaded Pockets

There is a lesson to be learned here:
    Never, ever text on your cell phone while sharpening a giant pencil. Texting while sharpening should be banned! ;D

I'm pretty sure my Leatherman Freestyle would fail this test too. There is only so much trust I put in any knife lock. Kinda like the safety on a gun. It's there to prevent accidents not stupidity.

I do think the test he is doing is valid but without a comparison to a similar knife it doesn't show if this is typical, weak, or exceptional.

4. mrpink

mrpink Banned

ya dude, thats what i was thinking. i never thought a pocket knife could cut through a 2 x 4 in so little time.

i was thinking this knife in particular is vulnerable to the spinewack test due to its locking mechanism.

5. Crashnburk

Crashnburk Loaded Pockets

I wish I had the money to buy a knife and then destroy it in minutes. I thought the lock would have held up better.

6. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

Am I the only person who saw what was said about him sending it into Spyderco and them looking to improve the knife? Seeing all of these negative comments, it sure seems like nobody read that.

7. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

He DOES compare it to 2 other knives he tested.

8. mrpink

mrpink Banned

forums like these have a mob mentality. i did read that. i love spyderco knives and they make up the majority of my collection but when they call things 'hard use' its pretty misleading. the manix was supposed to be rugged. so was the military. but i highly doubt they are at the level of a zero tolerance knife or any other comparable 'hard use' folder. hard use means overbuilt. even if a knife is not a pry bar, etc. its a tool. spyderco keeps trying to be efficient for fatasses like nut n fancy who cry about an extra ounce. i dont care about an ounce or two if my tool gives me the confident with the hardware to back it up in the field. i think all knives should be overbuilt. if you want something light weight carry a razor blade it will cut all u need.

9. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

I am rough on my knives too, however, I thought this was what a fixed blade was for? I learned a long time ago that folders are very useful, but they have one drawback.....They are already broke in the middle.

10. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

All would agree improvements are always welcome, misuse of an edged tool is not.

11. BCountryTrekker

BCountryTrekker Loaded Pockets

I'm just a stupid backwoods countryboy. I had no idea that it was a multitool. So, I guess the message is that it is a really good knife, a mediocre prybar, and a really lousy hatchet.

:lolhammer:

12. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

I think the point is if you only have 1 knife (work with me guys, I said IF, I know the EDC motto) and you had to use it for whatever hard task that comes your way, you're going to want to know what it can and cannot do.

Why aren't all knives slipjoint? Really you have no need for a lock if you use the knife right no?