1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Mask Have You Included in Your EDC?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jag-engr, Jun 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Your info is probably more current than mine. We have a good inventory of masks here at home sent from in-laws etc in Taiwan.... Not N95; but for when we go shopping we're assuming they're adequate. Hope. Pray...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Apparently many of the masks even embossed and marked as N95 or KN95 are in reality not really what they claim at all?

Further I was looking at masks in stock at Menards as an example that are clearly marked as N or KN 95 that in the description they admit that though they are marked they are also not tested or certified as such in any way?????

So given that they are being Retailed with the disclaimer that the label means nothing it has to make you wonder about the validity of every or any claim about a masks efficacy for any use at all?

The Chinese are notorious already for merely copying items as exactly as they care to with no actual regard for the truth or certifications that the original might be tested for and they have no trouble doing the same thing when it is our life on the line evidently either?

This is not a Political observation or comment at all but just reporting this the way I have seen it in real time.

3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Generic mask modded with a little velcro for personalization. I think the patch is appropriate.[​IMG]

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  4. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I think a lot of people’s concerns over masks is multi-faceted:
    - First and foremost is the flip on the stance. It was initially not to wear masks, then it was wear them, then it was wear any face covering. Well what changed and why?
    - Everyone always claims science and studies, but where is the data showing that masks are effective or what type is effective and what is not. There really hasn’t been anything from the science or medical community proving that a homemade face covering is effective. There is a lot from people with no credentials saying this is good or that is good, but nothing from experts really proving it.
    - Contradictory information. Some say wearing a mask actually makes you more like to touch your face or eyes, which can also contribute to catching the virus. Some also say that breathing in a sweaty or unclean mask could contribute to other illnesses because you may be breathing mold or bacteria.
    - When the only thing really available for civilians is “Made in China” of questionable quality or homemade not suitable for medical use, so where is the proven benefit.
    - Government ordering me to do it. This is especially bad when, like in my state, it is coming from the Governor only. It feels an awful lot like bow to the King when the Governor, without input from the General Assembly, orders people to do something, threatens with jail time after releasing people in jails, threatens to revoke business licenses if a business isn’t enforcing, and sets up his own little task force to monitor compliance.

The only response to most of these concerns, is emotional condemning the person as selfish and uncaring, only worried about their own rights and not other people. But no facts or evidence are presented.

I will still continue to wear a mask, because I think it is the right decision. But I can see where some people are coming from.

twin63 and EZDog like this.
  5. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I respectfully disagree; there is no legitimate reason to not wear masks, other than the very few people who have medical exemptions.

During WWII, people in the USA turned off their indoor lights at night, in case there were Nazi bombing raids. They were given food rations and donated every piece of scrap metal they could find to support the war effort. Could anyone visualize that today's Americans would all make those same sacrifices? I doubt it.

Every other country that has gotten the virus under control has done so through the simple practices of social distancing, eliminating public gatherings, washing hands, and wearing masks. The people in those countries saw the need and cooperated for the common good. Here in the USA, we have 50 states with 50 governors and 50 stances on how to handle the issue, with people moving freely throughout the country. It's no wonder why we are having such a difficult time. Add to that the paucity of testing and the prolonged delays in obtaining test results.

The reason why the stance on wearing masks has changed is that science's knowledge and analysis of the virus' behavior and spread have changed. It's that simple. The world and knowledge aren't static; they are dynamic. As the virus moved through the population, methodologies were tried and some worked and some didn't. There is a better understanding of the virus, though not nearly a complete understanding. It's telling that ALL countries that have succeeded in flattening the virus curve and severely reducing the # of cases have largely followed the same strategy. This is what baffles me about people deliberately deciding to not take these simple precautions. Their reasons are largely "individual liberties". The same argument was used when seatbelt laws came into effect years ago.

Further, countries such as New Zealand provided continuing financial assistance to their citizens so that they could remain at home and not be forced to return to work. Here in the USA, there was a one-time payout for most people, while many corporations got massive bailouts and many of them shouldn't have. The virus is GONE in NZ. Some countries (South Korea, NZ, and Japan, e.g.) were able to spool-up testing very quickly, which was a big advantage in locating hotspots and facilitating their remediation.

The USA is the only advanced country that continues to struggle with the virus (with the possible addition of Russia); it should be obvious that what we have been doing nation-wide simply isn't working. The virus was brought under control in NY and NJ (I live in NJ) using those three simple methods. There is no magic here. The primary obstacle is the re-opening of the economy and the inherent political and financial pressures to re-open. The states that opened did so too quickly and have had to reverse course.

Early on, The Northeast and CA were hit hard first because international travelers largely enter the USA in these areas. We didn't know the virus was already here by the time the travel ban from China was put into effect.

Other countries beat the virus and so can we if we emulate what they've done, use common sense, and stop politicizing reasonable precautions.

Last edited by echo victor, Jul 16, 2020
    #45 echo victor, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  6. Moshe ben David

I hear you.

Its always been a problem for all sorts of things. When I lived and worked in the region, one of the things we recognized was that yes, some of it was absolutely an issue of no scruples wrt intellectual property rights, etc.

But we also learned that almost as often it was just outright ignorance. Too often, someone would be given the task of preparing specs/drawings, etc., for the plant. But that person all too often (a) had practically zero knowledge of English/French/ choose whichever language the customer contracting used. (b) said person had from childhood learned that if the 'boss' said do something, they just did it. (c) if the local company had as their core business making something to match a provided 'sample' from the contracting customer, they would as a matter of course endeavor to copy EVERY detail, including branding marks, emblems such as K/N 95, etc., not wanting to appear ignorant by questioning the contracting customer.

You may not believe it, but item (c) above is or at least was the most important issue. The days when I worked out there was before there were many Chinese companies (doesn't matter if Mainland, HK, Taiwan; all the same basic culture. Communist or non-Communist was NEVER the determinant factor. Just culture... Most US and many Europeans don't recognize that!). Just make product to match provided samples/specs, at lowest mutually acceptable costs and prices...

We used to see some really weird labelling/branding marks on products. Sometimes even a red 'x' left by an inspector on a sample... no joke!

I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

tera tike likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Count me in with those who disagree with many of your points. To wit:

1) Let's recognize that this virus came on the scene very suddenly and with little warning. Further, information was sparse from the get go. It was NOT a well characterized virus. Inevitably this means that there had to be assumptions made and by definition those especially in the early days had to be of the 'best guesses' type.
    2) Further, let's recognize it soon became obvious that this virus was strongly contagious and populations had and still have limited if any immunoreponse.
    3) Viruses in general are known to mutate quick by human standards of mutation cycles. Just look at the need annually to get the latest flu vaccine. Further, look at how impossible it has proven to immunize against the so-called 'common cold' -- which is really an assortment of 20+ rhinoviruses, which by the way are themselves part of the 'coronavirus' family morphologically.
    4) In terms of government/governors/authority mandating mask wearing and perceptions of rights infringement. What infringement? Possible inconvenience to some to wear a mask, but in real terms, is this just arguing for the sake of arguing about principles? This sounds to me as stupidly absurd as arguing against seat belt laws or helmet laws (either bicycle, motorcycle, etc.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

jag-engr and echo victor like this.
  8. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

1) Yes, information was sparse, but anyone with even a cursory knowledge and contagions can tell you face covering would have had some benefit from the get go. The flip flop was not data driven, it was based on not wanting people hoarding masks when the needed them for medical professionals. So if they are lying or misleading on one issue, what else are they.
    2) Yes, it is highly contagious and limited immune response; which is why they realized they had to back track on their known to be bad initial guidance. This actually compounds the concerns of people touching face and eyes more when wearing a mask, because they can get it that way.
    3) Even if it mutates, it is still a virus and based on the size and characteristics of viruses in general, there could easily be guidance being given on what materials work best or how well or not at all. But instead of true factual guidance, it is just “thou shall”, which makes it seem more about the obey my order than actually do it for the health benefits. Give people actual science based data and they would be more receptive and more apt to actually try than just going through the motions.
    4) I didn’t say anything about violating rights, because it is about more than just rights and masks. It is about government overstep and hypocrisy. Governor specifically passing Executive Orders that violate laws limiting the Governor’s power during a state of emergency. Governor mandating people wear masks and limit traveling, when the Governor is traveling all different places and has been photographed not wearing a mask. Applauding protestors (and even the LT Governor) who are violating Executive Orders on masks and curfews as well as other laws, but threatening businesses and others. Setting up a special “Task Force” to enforce his Executive Orders in locations he wants.

#48 SOS24, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    HeadOffice likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Neither of us are likely to shift positions. Let's agree to disagree...

Moshe ben David

echo victor likes this.
  10. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

1) I think they were making sure they were available for those who really needed them at the start. And guidance changes as more info is gained.

11. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

That is what I meant. They knew masks would help. The not recommending them initially was based more on prioritization of need and giving the supply side time to ramp up, rather than new/updated info.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

under a 2nd politically-motivated lockdown; decided to pick something up that i can live with for awhile...

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe you can just tell us what they are too?
    I cant make the details out from the pic.

14. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Based on label looks like masks and PM3 filters from Huron Tactical.

nosuchagency likes this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks I could not read it.too small?
    Now that I can read it though.......too rich for my breathin'!

SOS24 likes this.
  16. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

You can find PM2.5 (which are better than 3) filters on ebay or other sites fairly cheap. Inserting them in almost any mask or face covering would increase protection.

17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I bought the SoTech Tac Masks when they released them and they look the same as the Huron to me but were much cheaper to get into,they are very nice.
    Maybe the best I have tried but for me the only ones that I can really live in are the "Surgical" style it seems as all of the others I have tried fog my glasses to the point that I can not function pretty much.

18. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

i initially 3d printed Mortal Kombat subzero mask with removable cloth filters, but it quickly became cumbersome. It was hot and uncomfortable for long periods of use, and due to it's 3d printed nature, i couldn't put it in my pocket and it couldn't be left in my vehicle or i would deform. I tried the cloth ear-loop masks, but hated how they pulled on my ears and pulled in on the tip of my nose. i now wear one of those cooling neck gaiter things. it is light weight and easy to keep in my pocket when not in use. it is relatively comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, and if you make it wet, it helps keep you cool. I'm sure it isn't nearly as effective as a proper n95 mask, but if i were to sneeze or cough, it will reduce the distance that anything should travel.

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Cooling-Gaiter-Wears-Cools/dp/B08BPFPQ22

19. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

My current daily mask is actually one of the old EDCF buffs. I'm not out much in the public, so it just lives in the black hole that is my overstuffed carry bag should the need arise.

20. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Always have four-six surgical ones in a zip plastic bag, in my own EDC.
    No more than three-four hours is the right lasting use (imho) for a tnt 3-layers mask.
    Just ordered some other ones.
    50 pieces x 10 boxes.
    Who knows...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.