1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Mask Have You Included in Your EDC?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jag-engr, Jun 22, 2020.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well obviously but again if the point of wearing masks is to keep your Rona off of others then how is the vent really helping there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

the Vent helps from fogging my glasses. Old masks fogged up my glasses, ran into a lady in the grocery store. I do not wear them driving.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Again obviously and same here but what does that have to do with expelling Rona thru the vent!

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

good question, never thought of that.

5. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

Outdoor research masks. Great company and great products. Masks are no exception. Well made comfortable with adjustable ear loops and pockets on inside of mask for filters.

jag-engr likes this.
  6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I also use the PM 2.5 filters in mine.

jag-engr likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

It occurs to me that there is an assumption being made that the 'vent' does not enable any level of filtering? Do we know that is in fact the case?

My gut tells me the vents in masks still have an ability to filter to some degree; but the same gut suggests it would not be as thorough as the rest of the mask. As with most anything, it probably depends on the individual mask and what it was originally designed to do.

For example, I could see that vented masks that were originally designed for use in say drywall work would still be able to filter much of the particles from sanding whilst still enabling a bit easier breathing. Which obviously does not suggest those vents would be all that effective at filtering the virus particles.

On the other hand I know there are medical grade masks that have vents and I suspect they retain some level of effectiveness for particles at virus scale. Whether those vents are effective at dealing with the coronavirus would need someone to do some investigation on their stated specs.

I retain a healthy dose of cynicism on most of the 'masks' on the market during this plague; most are just quick market items to take advantage of the amazing demand levels... Few would be likely to meet the specs in most medical/research labs I warrant...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

jag-engr, EZDog and ran23 like this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much how I feel too.
    I even bought 50 surgical “style” whose metal nose bridge piece will not stay bent to seal the mask and they are worthless to me with glasses!
    How fo you make bad masks

And I sure have no actual knowledge of the vented vs non-vented masks other than my common sense which tells me if the mask makes it easier to breathe it is also entirely the opposite of more effective!
    Sure it will be easier to wear and fog glasses less too but it is sure to spew more Rona than ones that are all the same filter I would imagine.

ran23 likes this.
  9. MORT

MORT Loaded Pockets

Looking for a mask that will also allow me to drink the Kool-Aid.

neo71665 likes this.
  10. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

The people that drink the Kool-Aid don't wear masks - but they won't be drinking for too long either...
    ;)

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

There is a viral post purporting to be from an individual that was trained by OSHA, and he/she goes through the various kinds of masks. The basic gist of it is Surgical masks were designed for use in a sterile environment: they only filter on the exhale. So, whatever you have wont spread, but it wont stop you from getting something that someone else coughs into the air. Vented N95s, on the other hand, were meant for use in contaminated environments: they are basically the same filter turned around, where it filters the inhale but does not filter the exhale. So, it protects you from what other people have, but does not prevent you from spreading what you have. Lastly, cloth masks have no filtering properties at all: they just get wet from the water vapor in your breath. So says the viral post, anyway. Makes sense to me, but I'm not an OSHA-trained professional or health expert, so what do I know?

No one knows anything for sure anymore because there is so much conflicting information, sometimes from the same source, that it's impossible to know what's true. The CDC currently says wear a mask but just months ago they said don't wear a mask unless you're actually sick. No reason given (that I can find) for the change in position. Further, many masks being sold specifically say they dont protect against the plague, and are actually required to say so because as actual PPE they have to specify what they are good for.

So... wear something that you know doesn't work? These are the arguments I see anti-maskers making. Heck, I know a few who aren't against wearing a mask, they just want solid information on what kind of mask is actually appropriate, because it seems currently the only mask that everyone will agree works is a full-on CBRN.

Combine that with the politicization of the issue and you have all kinds of conflict.

My city passed a 90-day mask mandate last night so I'm currently shopping for a proper mask, but it's hard to find one that will seal around my nose properly so my glasses wont fog.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

What I have learned for myself is that the Surgical Style Mask is the only one that I can really wear long term for work wearing my glasses.
    They also need to have a nose bridge part that is flexible metal that will stay the way that I shape it to insure that my glasses are not fogged constantly from anything else.

Some seem to use a spring steel for that part which means that for me it is a useless mask period and sadly you can not tell which yours has until you buy them and try them?

I have given away the ones that fog as they are useless to me and it is completely hit or miss which ones will work and which ones will not.

I have a Client who manufactures in China,mostly furniture but he was telling me that they have produced over 2 million yards of that Melt Blown "Fabric" that is used in the Surgical style masks though they do not make the finished mask and send the fabric on to another company that sonically welds the ear loops on and packs them for shipping.

He assures me that if someone there finds a way to make a mask for 1/10 of a cent less they will kill each other to do this regardless of any other implications and this hardly suggests a deep commitment to our safety or health to me?!
    I asked him about the spring steel nose part and he says he is not surprised by this at all for this reason.

Not once did QC or Safety or Toxicity of the fabric come into the conversation but I sure have to wonder?

What I want to know is why we assume that the masks are even sanitary in any way and safe to use at all as there seems to be ZERO standards or QC for these that I have seen anywhere and unlike the N95 masks which are at least supposed to meet certain standards whether they actually do or not.

I remain convinced that the only reason we are not all wearing N95 is that there not any to wear.

Nothing else really makes sense to me.

#32 EZDog, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    jag-engr likes this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm not completely convinced that there are zero N95 available at this time.... at the least I think there are the 'variant' of the N95 that places like Home Depot had for use in environments where a lot of sanding of drywall etc were done... Some years back when I sometimes had to visit homes being remodeled, I had to walk through those work areas while the drywall crews were busy. Hell, I could hardly see to the end of my arm from the dust in the air!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

14. HeadOffice

I have tried numerous masks recently because I wear glasses and want something that won't fog up (so much) as well as cover under the chin. I have found some on Etsy that cover under the chin and go high enough to sit high on the bridge of the nose). When the mask is that high, the bottom of the glass lenses sit on the OUTSIDE of the mask at the top - thus no fog. Even masks with a wire to bend up top don't fit that well.

One alternative is the cloth masks that you tie to the face nice and tight and you can slip in a PM2.5 (equivalent to HEPA) filter inside. These will make a good seal on the sides and under chin area but will still need to place the glass lenses on the OUTSIDE of the mask at the top of the mask.

Etsy has those as well. I'd paste links but they'll be removed by the moderator and I'll get punished (again) so PM me if you want links to the ones I've tried on Etsy. I also have some camo ones from mechanix (the glove people) that fit will but it's just a mask and not a filter.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Go ahead and try to find some then.

I include the KN95 masks in my assessment.

And I bet the ones that you may find are also of dubious quality and effectiveness.

16. HeadOffice

Cities have been woeful on the messaging as a general rule. Some say no need to wear a mask, some say wear one indoors and some say wear one outdoors when you can't social distance. Some say a cloth covering will suffice, some say surgical masks work and others say N95s. Ridiculous really. The only way (and truly simple way) is to just wear an N95 or equivalent mask OVER the nose and mouth anytime you step out of the house - period. If everyone did that we'd have this thing beat in no time.

With the extremely inconsistent messaging from government bodies and politicians topped with people who cannot wear a mask because it infringes on their rights (but don't mind wearing seat belts, having a drivers license, firearm license and obey the rules of the road) we are doomed to have recurring cases until the mentally challenged have been eliminated. Given the idea is not to protect the wearer so much as others the level of selfishness is amazing...

Moshe ben David and EZDog like this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is the most remarkable part to me as well.

No one likes and would prefer to wear the mask and it is also not a huge deal to do my part to try to get this under any slight bit of control with this simple selfless action.

18. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

After the city passed their mandate last night, several people at the meeting began asking what the city was going to do about proper disposal for the masks. After all, in hospitals used masks are considered hazardous waste and are not simply thrown in a trash can, but into a proper hazardous waste receptacle. No response was given.

If there were enough N95s to go around I'd like to believe we'd all be wearing them, but the cynical part of me says we wouldn't because the goalposts have been moved so much. Originally these cloth masks were supposed to be a stop-gap until N95s were available: now they're being pushed as THE mask. Some are sold with or compatible with PM2.5 filters, but those are particulate-matter filters for anything over 2.5 microns in size. For reference, Cryptosporidium and Giardia, two common waterborne pathogens, require a 1 micron filter to catch and viruses are smaller than that.

I believe the reason we're not all wearing the 'right' mask is because no one knows what the right one is. Assume the supposed-OSHA-guy was right: if I have plague and wear an N95, and you dont have plague and wear a surgical, I can easily give you plague even though we're both masked.

The main rights related issue I've seen about masks is not that 'wearing this infringes my rights', but rather that govt does not have the authority to force it. I was listening to a lawyer say he had no problem with people wearing masks, or with businesses requiring you to wear one to come inside, but that govt did not have the authority to blanket mandate them for everyone under penalty of law. You're not allowed to go out in public without a mask: it amounts to unlawful house-arrest. And, even law-enforcement is split on the issue: my city has a mandate but our PD is too busy with shootings and meth-heads to enforce it. My county does not have a mandate, has said they will not have one, and the sheriff has said he will not enforce a mandate if one is passed. City Council themselves even said they dont know how the mandate will be enforced, but they passed it anyway. That's the main issue I see people in my town having: govt does not have the authority to do this, nor do they have a fully-thought-out plan for how they're going to enforce it. Which in this town means mass-disobedience, and the first attempt to enforce it will result in a court case. We're kind of litigious here against govt. overreach:

One fellow here years ago got the red light cameras shut down. He argued that to appeal the red light ticket he had to appeal to the PD who administrate the cameras: he had to appeal to the very people who had a vested interest (ticket revenue) in denying his appeal. The City PD argued that they did not administrate the cameras, that was handled by a private company with a city contract. The Judge found that the private company did not have law-enforcement authority and thus the ticket was invalid. Further, the PD could not be the appealing body because of the conflict of interest. Until those issues were resolved the cameras had to stay off. They've been off for over 10 years because the City and the PD haven't been able to figure out a way to run them legally.

Point is, people have valid concerns about govt mandating things best left alone, or left to others.
    Lastly, calling people mentally challenged because they're on the opposing side does little to advance your argument: instead you only drive them further into their own camp. I'm doing my damnedest to remain in the middle here.

#38 Sentinel-14, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  19. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Since N95s are unobtainable, since I am not shaving my beard, and since cloth masks are of dubious effectiveness, I'm going with one of these...

[​IMG]
    :D

neo71665 and Moshe ben David like this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thank you Kemosabe.

Moshe ben David and ghuns like this.