1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Mask Have You Included in Your EDC?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jag-engr, Jun 22, 2020.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

With COVID-19 still out there, many of us are carrying an mask as part of our EDC. Whether you are wearing a mask out of a sense of caution, a sense of public duty, or simply because you are required to do so, what mask are you using? How do you carry it when not wearing it?

Personally, I've been kicking around different options. I have a stash of a few N95 masks for dusty work, but they are not practical for daily wear (too hard to breath and too hot) and are easily crushable. I also picked up some "K-POP" style masks. They are convenient to stash in various locations because they are very minimalist, but I suspect they do not actually work that well. A coworker made cotton cloth masks with elastic earloops for us, and that is my preferred mask to date, but I recently misplaced it. I have some more cloth masks on order, including some with a sliding adjustment for the earloops.

Please note: This is not intended as a political or conspiracy theory discussion on whether the government is forcing us to wear masks as the first step to enforcing a new world order. This discussion is about the EDC aspect and practicality.

jcombs and Moshe ben David like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I bought some Mystery Ranch masks. Basically, because I like the company.

Street mask on the left, traditional on the right. The street nose part(?) extends out, which helps with fogging glasses but they have a plague doctor look to them which is a little weird. The traditional mask has a better look but I find the rubber fitting band is small for my huge head. Probably not the worth the premium price. Cheap black masks seem to be everywhere. That would be my recommendation. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

jag-engr and twin63 like this.
  3. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I carry a simple handkerchief every day and learned how to fold it up in a fashion that functions as a mask for the very unlikely occasion I must go somewhere that wont let me in without one, and isn't providing one for me. So far I have not needed it, and I am not inclined to spend money on a purpose-made mask when I have had no use for the improvised.

4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of different cloth masks that have a pocket for a filter if I want to add one. One style even allows me to insert a surgical mask into it or wear it by itself. When I’m not wearing it I just fold it in half with the part I wear on my face inward.

jag-engr and twin63 like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

We have a supply of basic 'disposable' masks; simple rectangular items like in prior times you'd have encountered at a dentist' office. We get them pretty inexpensively via in-laws from Taiwan. Seems like Taiwan has made a concerted effort to supply masks to 'overseas Chinese' at the same cost as if you are in Taiwan... which is cheap.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

garza and jag-engr like this.
  6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

jag-engr likes this.
  7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Wearing glasses, I just tried a mask with a vent, works great, no fogging. will slip a PM filter in it and try again.

jag-engr likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I discovered pretty quickly that the only mask that I can really wear with glasses and still be able to function are the cheaper surgical masks.
    I have a feeling that the easier they are to breath through and the less they fog the glasses the crappier they probably are at doing the job they are made for but I have to balance wearing them with being able to see too!

I bought cloth masks from Bihn,Covercraft,Mother Earth Pillows and SoTech Tactical and all are likely better masks but I am unable to wear them and see at all.

The hotter it gets out the worse it is too.

I carry them around on my face.

9. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Surgical 3-layers TNT based.
    Change every 4-6 hours if outside.

jag-engr likes this.
  10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You might try the K-POP style masks. I’m not sure how effective they are, though.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

They do not work for me like I said.

Also a mask with a vent for exhaust pretty much defeats the entire purpose of the mask here doesn't it?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  12. MORT

MORT Loaded Pockets

No mask, have a gag reflex issue, no one wants to see someone puke in a face mask. Works for me.

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have a SCBA in my truck but aint any way I'm wearing it around unless I need it

14. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Mask with HEPA filter slipped in pocket of mask. One in each bag I have...

15. HeadOffice

Not at all... The mall is also to protect people you may be breathing on. It's all about protecting you and others...

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Mall????

What I mean is that the vent lets more air from me out therefore somewhat negating the idea that I am protecting others.
    We are supposed to believe that the mask is only to protect others and not ourselves.

I think this is a complete load of crap myself and that if we actually could get enough N95 masks for everyone to wear all of the time that we would be using them all of the time and thus protecting both ourselves and the other guy too.

Or to say it another way the only reason we are not using them to protect ourselves is that we can not get enough masks.

Either way I can not accept that it is better to not wear anything than to wear anything,that one just does not make sense to me.

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  17. HeadOffice

Mall = Mask... (Autocorrect)...

It's definitely a good idea for people to wear one to protect v ourselves and others. The people who demand the 'freedom' to not wear a mask are endangering others as well as themselves.

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Agree and not even remotely what I was talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. HeadOffice

Oh - I went back and re-read... the K-Pop masks don't work for you but the other style does. Exactly! I thought you were saying masks (in general) don't work. Too many EDC pics and not enough brain cells on my part...

EZDog likes this.
  20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I tried masks with Vents, luv them. Ordered more. I wear glasses, that is why.