1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What makes a tactical watch "tactical"?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Sharpone, Oct 9, 2009.

1. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

What I look for in a tactical watch are the dull matte color, sturdy construction, brand reputation, multi-function, and durability.

Here's the seller: DID IT LOOK GOOD IN A MOVIE?

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

This watch is featured in Brad Thor's novels. The hero, Scot Harvath uses this particular one.

[​IMG]
    Now that's what I call Tactical.
    [/quote]

3. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

We seem to end up not really understanding a word if it is used badly in some way such as marketing. The word `tactical┬┤means : of or pertaining to tactics and tactics are the means to obtaining a goal.
    So your tactical watch can be anything if it enables you to achieve the goal you are after... such as telling the time perhaps, if, on the other hand your goal is to be the CEO of your company by mid afternoon and you are currently only the doorman then you are gonna need a much smarter watch.
    Tactical in a military sense means you are involved in military operations which usually are part of dealing with some kind of adversary and the tactics are to achieve the goal of defeating him or putting him in a position of weakness where he will be obliged to do what you want.
    So, telling the time so you can do things in the right order would a handy thing for a watch to do, if you want to shoot the enemy or blow him into little pieces the watch will not be a lot of good other than to tell you when to fire at him if a particular time is part of the tactics but the real tactic is going to be to shoot him with a rifle or blow him to bits with a cruise missile or a smart bomb but it still only means the watch has to tell the time.
    In that case providing it was working well a Mickey Mouse watch would be as tactical as any other.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting this ;D

5. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

You're welcome Jon, it's weird how words get misused and suddenly have a new meaning in quite a short time.

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

When I have time I am going to do a thread on that topic. I have probably at least 100 words that have lost their meaning.

7. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

Interestingly enough, I think I've seen a G-shock on 90% of military personnel I've seen with a watch. Apparently the Army is issuing Suuntos to some divisions.

I'd think digital is the way to go for ground troops. The rough and tumble won't bear well for mechanical watches.

So:

Black

Rugged

Multifunction

8. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I know I would put 'honor' and 'responsibility' on that list.

9. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Re: What makes a tactical watch "tactical"?

Somebody's probably said this but what makes a tactical watch "tactical" is Marketing although technically -- any item you use to check what time it is including a sundial can be considered "tactical".

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I recall a true story in which a German soldier during WW2 was shot by a sniper after activating the background light on his wrist watch at night, during lights-out.

Perhaps tactical would refer to a dark watch that could be read by the wearer, without giving away his position? :shrug:

11. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

Is there such thing? I believe that that term you are referring to, "tactical", is more of marketing propaganda than anything else.

12. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

They had watches with backlights in WWII? Any idea who made them?

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Are you sure it was not a flashlight shining on the face of the watch?

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The veteran who told the story was positive that the German soldier pushed a button on his wrist watch, and the face of the watch lit up. Not too bright, but very visible in near total darkness. I'm no expert on watches, so I'm not sure if the technology existed back then. He may have been mistaken about the light source. Still, how do you tell a WW2 veteran that his recollection might be wrong?

15. Buzzkill

Buzzkill Empty Pockets

You don't, but you don't echo the story on message boards, either. There's enough confusing and distracting information as it is.

16. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

god forbid people talk about things onilne; this is a forum for discussion, we can discuss the validity of the story by citing facts, and *gasp* thinking for ourselves!

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Excellent point. Hopefully there's a watch collector out there who could verify whether or not such technology existed back then.

18. Buzzkill

Buzzkill Empty Pockets

If thought had been employed originally, my advice would have been intuitively followed, and a poor old man's confusion would not have been repeated to plague us and waste our time. The technology did not exist, and the idea that it might is patently absurd. The end.

It is not every question that deserves an answer.

- Publilius Syrus, ~100 A.D.

19. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Perhaps you could enlighten us with a source that disproves this patently absurd idea?

For what it's worth.
    I've always heard stories, from WWII to Nam, about sharp shooters taking off hands or worse with the light from a watch or lighter flash.

Back on topic.
    A tactical watch has low-light readability but isn't so bright that it can be identified/tracked in a dark environment.

20. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets