1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Light in Your First Aid Kit?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by jnieporte, May 22, 2013.

1. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Just today I started thinking about including a flashlight in the FAK, with color filter and only purpose - highlight blood in dark conditions. Now searching for one, and want to share this idea, maybe somebody will be inspired.

2. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Erm, no harm, but: I do not see the point in highlighting blood with a filter. It is not the blood to care about but the injured. You need good illumination to care for penetration trauma, so from my point of view you should rather care for two things: Adjustable output and size. Adjustable output because you might need "turbo" to search for an injured while needing a bit less brightness while treating the trauma. The size is important as it should not prevent you from taking the light with you - or worse, the whole FAK.

That said I have to ask you a question: which size and intended purpose does your FAK have?

edit: BOT: I do not have a dedicated light for my FAK. Neither the "A-bit-more-than-cuts-and-bruises" kit I edc nor the light trauma kit I additionally carry with me in the woods. I do edc two flashlights and a headband which can convert both lights into a headlamp. What I do in case of an emergency when I am the sole first responder is to use the Quark Mini as a beacon for the paramedics I usually call instantly and the Preon as a headlamp.

Last edited by netcat, Oct 20, 2013
    GoBliNuke and derfyled like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a SoLed in my pocket FAK, which stays in my M-65 US Army field jacket. Other than that I have a light on me, or a back up(or 2;)) in my bag, but no light in my dedicated FAK.

4. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

The lights in my kit which always stays there is a streamlight micro stream for locating stuff in the kit and a disposable pupil light.. If you are asking about lights dedicated for when working on a patient i find it very scenario specific, but a main requirement for this would be that you need a light that will keep both your hands free.

Edit: im not sure about what you want with a color filter, i would say a light with a high cri index is much more usefull. Ability to see skin color is just as important as to see blod, i think blod will stand out no matter what light you use, do you have a specific need for the blod highlight? Like seeing a wounded animal when hunting or forensics?.. Only use for filtering i see is a red filter to avoid loss of night vision when seaching- but when working with a patient i would always use something neutral.

GoBliNuke likes this.
  5. Porkfat

Porkfat Loaded Pockets

No light dedicated to my FAK, but I always have my Olight S15 on me and a Zebralight H31w in my bag. Both can go sub-lumen if I need to check pupil dilation. Neither has the best CRI, so wound examination might be a bit more difficult to check in anything but natural light, but I haven’t run into a problem yet.

6. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

netcat, thekapow, thank yours for replies and input. I'll try to describe the supposed situation more detailed, hope it is still on topic. The point is: low-light conditions and unresponsible casualty. Firstly check breathing, but then i want to check if he (she) is not stubbed or shot, looking for blood puddle (plash).
    As i moved to new residence (not so danger place but it can be), i want to carry blow-out kit in addiction to usual edc FAK - and a specific light. Internet says best variant is red and green lights illuminating simultaneously, yes, like hunt.

7. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

There is a by far more reliable and easy test to find a penetrating trauma. Cautiously sweep along the individual body parts (gloves assumed as always when you treat an injured). It is not important which system you use, but I do the following: first, I do a visual check of the head, the immediate environment of the body and the extremities. Then, I sweep in the following order relative to my position: left arm, torso's quadrants facing to me from upper left quadrant to lower left quadrant clockwise, lower sides of the torso accordingly (prevent to move the patient if not absolutely positively sure that there are not head and/or neck injuries and/or inner injuries), right arm, right leg, left leg. After each section, check if there is blood on the glove. If there is a life threatening penetrating trauma, you will see it right away, believe me. By using this technique, you should be able to find any penetrating trauma.

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

GoBliNuke and Swe_Nurse like this.
  8. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

A light will only help you find blood in places that are otherwise visible, while most of the body will not be visible. The way to do it is to do a pat down [edit: like netcat describes] and check for blood, then you will be able to get into the groin, underside of the patient, under clothing etc., something a light can not do.

I can not see a single pro of getting a specialized flashlight for finding blood and I see very few scenarios where it is likely to be used over a regular flashlight.

GoBliNuke likes this.
  9. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Thank you, netcat and Swe_Nurse, now i'm definitely looking for hi-cri light :) preferrably torso-mounted.

10. Sully021

Sully021 Loaded Pockets

Petzl e+lite head torch. Great little torch with great battery life. A head torch is perfect so you can work with both hands on a casualty. I have the older model, which had a better head band (new one has a thin elastic) and the older model also came with its own protective waterproof storage case complete with belt loop.

11. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Like I said: I have bought a headband made by NiteIze to convert my Quark Ti into a headlamp: less than 5 bucks, takes next to no place and you do not have to take a specialized lamp with you additionally or you can use your general purpose EDC light respectively, depending on your view.

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you go with a headlamp, also take a look at the Petzl Tactikka series, they rock :)!

13. Kranox

Kranox Empty Pockets

I do also carry a Petz E+Lite in my FAK. It hasn't a neutral colored light, but i will turn on for sure (Lithiums).
    [​IMG]
    Can be switched on from the outside if need be
    [​IMG]
    And can be strapped on things, including heads :D
    [​IMG]
    And it's small. Greetings Kranox
    (Can't get the images showing smaller...)

SurvivePenna and SAKplumber like this.
  14. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

The penlight in my jump kit is a Pelican MityLite. Works great for checking pupil size etc, it's tough as nails and has held up well living in my truck through the cold northern Alberta winters.

I also had a head lamp in my kit, but the cold last winter made the plastic brittle and the piece hold the strap broke. I'll have to replace it with a better quality one. I'll likely be going with Petzl.

15. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

i alternate between a baseball cap with leds in the peak and a head lamp. and i have a mag light 2x aaa as a back up.
    Xiii

16. AV8R

AV8R Loaded Pockets

I always have a light one me but nevertheless i have a Streamlight Nano in mine. Just as another mentioned, it was a spare, it fit and didn't know what else to do with it

A Maxpedition F.I.G.H.T. in my flight bag, a smaller Maxpedition FR-1 in my luggage and a Condor Rip-Away in the car.

17. JTPhoenix

JTPhoenix Loaded Pockets

Could you define 'clipped' for me, please? I'm assuming it has something to do with the battery, but I've never heard the term.

18. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

FAK and headlamp in my Neatfreak. Here is the headlamp and it is excellent & inexpensive. --> amazon.com/gp/product/B000JWD114/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Most of those little diagnostic lights are activated by squeezing the pocket clip to complete the circuit. Clipping them to something keeps them from inadvertently being powered on and draining the battery.

20. bystander

bystander Loaded Pockets

a cc orange color so-led.