1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What knives / manufacturers will you NOT carry?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hawkeye-, Apr 14, 2015.

1. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I bought a Magnum knife in the 90s that didn't have the Boker name attached to it at all. Boker and Magnum are a fairly recent pairing as far as I know. As batteur said, Boker Plus is different. Boker Magnum are Chinese Magnum knives with the Boker name stamped on them. Boker plus are Boker knives made in China. There is a significant difference.

batteur, BobsBargains and Brtsmpsn like this.
  2. jav3462

jav3462 Empty Pockets

Exactly catherine. I work in auto/customer service and have yet to see the level of customer service i provide anywhere else and i done expect that as i dont know how we consistantly do it. I do however expect any company or service provider to stand behind their product or work. That is how i judge who gets my hard earned money.

BobsBargains and Brtsmpsn like this.
  3. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

I will not carry the brands I don't have, and that list is subject to change as time goes by, every knife can have a purpose even if it is as small as using it to pop dried up dog poo off the bottom of a shoe But I don't buy them with that purpose in mind

BobsBargains, Rusty412 and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. Rusty412

Rusty412 Loaded Pockets

I have been disappointed with more recent quality of Gerber folders, but my Spydercos and CRKTs are several years old, and I have absolutely no problem with their quality. My current EDC folders are ZTs and I have no problem with the quality of the ones I have, in fact I think I they are the cat's meow. The ZTs do have a higher price point than several other popular folders, but IMO their quality is worth the price for an EDC.

Brtsmpsn and BobsBargains like this.
  5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I realised I have a Gerber, and I even did pay for it … sort of. I bought a Skinth M7 with accessories in the BST, and one of these was an EAB Lite.

6. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Strider.

MrOG, Brtsmpsn and BobsBargains like this.
  7. Wheatthins

Wheatthins Empty Pockets

I don't carry Case knives anymore because I got tired of them slipping out of my pocket when I sat down. I love old timey designs,but the lack of a clip makes me nervous that I'll lose the knife.

As cool as automatics are and legal issues aside,I wouldn't carry one. They're too complicated and not necessarily practical for much of anything IMO.

MrOG, Brtsmpsn and BobsBargains like this.
  8. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

SOG & Benchmade. Quality issues. Was gifted a new Griptilian and had a lockup issue almost immediately, the pin on the axis lock doesn't lock straight but on an angle so It has some blade play both side to side and slightly forwards unless I tighten the torx screw down almost to the point I can't open the blade. Wrote Benchmade and never received any correspondence back about possible repair work.
    And the SOG Tridents AUS8 is just garbage. Even on my Lansky kit it barely comes sharp while my Gerber with the "mystery steel" can split hairs. It is my first "premium" knife but it's just so dull after barely any use that it just sits in the knife roll now.

9. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Strange that you didn't hear anything back, did you try again? If you still have the knife, I would try again, all my dealings with Benchmade have been very positive, although I will say that emailing them takes a few days to get an answer.

10. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

For those that are wondering why Bear Grylls endorsed Gerber... Pretty obvious, he's just in it for money and so is Gerber. This is a guy that claimed to go into the wilderness with nothing but a cameraman when it turned out that the things he did were scripted and he was really staying in 5 star hotels between scenes and eating as normal. I honestly don't think Bear Grylls endorsing any product means anything at all.

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

True but you could be wrong.....

Who studies for their law exam by watching Judge Judy. key word... entertainment.. You can't test survival situations... not gonna go all cannibal on the cameraman. entertainment..

12. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I won't carry a knife that cost more than $150. The simple reason is I would never use it or be too afraid of losing it. All of my knives are users and run between $30-75. At this price point I can still have quality but not cry too much if it got damaged or lost.

Oh, and I'd never carry a Sebenza. I've handled one and just do not buy the hype.

Stutz, MrOG, Doraemon and 7 others like this.
  13. IMightBeWrong

Careful with this one in particular. EVERY Sebenza owner at one point said they'd never buy one. Many of them saw them in person first and weren't convinced either. Thing is, sooner or later most lovers of knives will eventually end up with one because our reasons for buying knives are far removed from logic.

14. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Every post here named a knife that will not go in my pocket..but I think we forgot that Crap they sell on T.V....
    20cents a piece is way over priced (you Need to buy a 100 or more because you'll break them all in a week !! )

2Panther

15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I will not carry any knife endorsed by a tv personality. Especially Bear Grylls.( D.A.) And will never carry Tops. It sucks in my opinion. I don't like "tacticool" knives. Except Esee. They are excellent. I do own a knife designed by Ray Mears. But that is just because it is made by S.W. Cox. A great knife. As for the rest, well, I look for quality. Good steel, construction etc. But I tend to lean towards Scandinavian knives. U.S. knives are great, depending on who made them.

16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Oh, and if you're talking about folders... I don't like the cheap ones. In my opinion invest in a quality one like a ZT or a Reeve or something. Nevertheless I love my Opinel and Victorinox knives. Old school knives. They are great for everyday jobs. Bottom line, you get what you buy. Don't follow the hype. Do your own research. Some knives from a manufacturer are great, some are crap. I would rather have an Opi on me than say a Bear Grylls "survival" folder.

17. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

I will not buy a knife you can't disassemble. (Ok I just bought one but that's for testing and heavy use. Multitools don't count, although I sure would like one I can disassemble as well.) Not just difficult / needs special tools to take apart, I also mean brands that void your warranty if you disassemble YOUR knife (Benchmade, maybe Spyderco). I don't get why this isn't more common. You wouldn't buy a car that you can't open the hood of, or a firearm you can't strip, so why do people buy knives without checking if they can be taken apart? I see knives with "bowling ball" screws and think that's utterly impractical:
    [​IMG]

Also about maintenance (maybe it's just me, when I see product and house designs I automatically check if they're easy to clean), no concave blades. I almost bought a Kershaw Chive but I'm bad enough at sharpening already.

Last edited by Doraemon, May 13, 2015
  18. white_wabbit

white_wabbit Loaded Pockets

Actually - I used to work for Peugeot UK and if it was demonstrated that the owner had altered the car in any way then it was liable to void their warranty. Any after market mods had to be done by an authorised dealership.

Doraemon, Brtsmpsn and BobsBargains like this.
  19. IMightBeWrong

I'm with you on maintenance and disassembly. I wish everything were made to be taken down for maintenance. The knives that I actually rotate can all be taken apart and their warranties won't be voided by doing so.

Doraemon, BobsBargains and Brtsmpsn like this.
  20. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Oh what brands are they? I wanted to start a thread asking but I'm not planning to buy any knives now.