1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What knives / manufacturers will you NOT carry?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hawkeye-, Apr 14, 2015.

1. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

Honestly, that's why I started it. Myself, I can't carry a Gerber or SOG. Gerbers break where Leatherman and Victorinox don't, and their customer service is out of this world. I had a Wave with a broken can opener, and they replaced it, sharpened the blades, and gave it one hell of a cleaning, and shipped it back. I've had CRKTs break on me, but that was after a LOT of use. I don't get it either, maybe Bear figured that it was good enough to use for a short period of time, but even then. . . . . crappy blades, crappy handles, etc etc etc. Even their assisted Propel's are pieces of garbage. On a side note, I just flipped through their online catalog, and it's glaringly obvious that some of their designs are copies from other makers. . . . What crap. (I'm talking Hinderer, Fox Knives, CRKT, and Kershaw)

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  2. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I'm a huge fan of the Spider hole for practical reasons, but if someone pulled that out around me, I think I'd run... Not from fear, but sheer disgust...

FACE, hawkeye-, BobsBargains and 2 others like this.
  3. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I'll admit that I've watch very little stuff with Bear in it, but from what I've seen he doesn't really seem to be a knife guy. I mean, stabbing his knife into rocky soil as a holder and other such things. A knife is a cutting tool, and as such it is only useful if sharp, therefore, while there may be appropriate times in a survival situation to misuse a knife, your #1 goal should be to keep it sharp as long as possible. Just my observation...

hawkeye- and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This sums it up for me. As long as it cuts! Just like firearms. As log as it fires!

Mumbojumboo and Brtsmpsn like this.
  5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

:rofl:

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is pretty easy to claim I don't like a knife before I ever hold it but also a pretty hollow assessment from where I sit?

I felt that way about Spyderco before trying them for myself.

Now I have at least a Delica with me all the time.

Don't knock them until you have actually tried them,you might be cheating yourself!

7. Ben Rubinstein

My reason for never buying Spyderco is how they look. The hawk like shape of the blade is practically never 'explain yourself to the police/court' friendly.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  8. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I have tried Spyderco but the blade designs don't feel right to me. Chinese made Bucks and Gerber's are a no. I value US made. The knives I won't carry will often perform OK but not to my standard and may require more frequent sharpening.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  9. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

^^^ This. Fugly knives.

10. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Victorinox...

Just kidding, hahahaha I wonder how your faces look like :D.
    EDIT: I think Boker... High prices for China made 440 steel?? Well come on...
    Also Gerber. MAYBE there are some older models that have better quality such as the Applegate combat folder.

Last edited by IHateBottleOpeners, Apr 15, 2015
  11. Hawkman

Hawkman Loaded Pockets

IDK. I don't really like the Spyderco style in general, but there are some I like. I have a Rubicon that I like a lot - the quality is tops, and I might get a Gayle Bradley - they are not all that extreme of a design. Other than those and several others, I pass on Spyderco not mainly because of style, but I just can't get used to using the spidey hole to open the blade - I guess that is why I like the Rubicon because it is a flipper.

I will stay away from Gerber, SOG and Strider and others I have heard about quality issues.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  12. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

No quality issues with strider..... they make awesome knives.. personal taste and integrity are the problem.

WichitaJLJ, Lightnig and Brtsmpsn like this.
  13. Rossco7002

Rossco7002 Loaded Pockets

Hinderer for me. I wrote in to them asking for info on their military / LEO direct sales and never even got a reply. I've never had that issue with any quality knife maker so was surprised... Specially given their reasons for having that programe in the first place.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  14. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

I think it would be quicker to say the brands I would carry spyderco , benchmade, and that's it....

The backyard

hawkeye-, Brtsmpsn and BobsBargains like this.
  15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Same...kinda....I like spyderco and microtech for pocket knives. For fixed blades, I'm still learning because my first non-kitchen FB still hasn't arrived.

But, that's what I want to spend money on. As far as what I'll use in a pinch...anything that seems safe.

I've felt "burned" by Gerber, SOG, benchmade, and a few others....but I've never had one catastrophically fail.

Brtsmpsn and BobsBargains like this.
  16. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Oh I've tried them, I've tried several and I still don't like them.

And while I'm on this thread commenting again, I also do want to say that I dislike S&W knifes because the quality absolute sucks. I can't for the life of me, understand why anyone would put any of there money into garbage like that.

To the point that some one made about, if it cuts than I'll use it. ......... Yeah, until it folds over onto your hand or finger and it cuts you. I'm sorry, but if I have that imminent danger to contend with, I'll pass thanks!!!

I'd rather have all my digits and nothing to cut with than to use that garbage again.

:D Cheers,
    FACE

hawkeye-, BobsBargains and Brtsmpsn like this.
  17. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

Modern Gerbers. Every store nearby that sells knives always has a whole wall of Gerber knives.

All with Bear Grylls stupid face on them.

Disclaimer: I do have a Gerber Dime that I like. But my other Gerbers are never used.

18. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Benchmade. Their knives don't really appeal to me, and the whole spydie-hole fiasco just left a bad taste over here.

19. wearingthin

wearingthin Empty Pockets

Won't carry CRKT knives. Can't stand that AUS 8 metal they use

20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Oh, they have knives in 8Cr13MoV, too :p

kd7dvd, FACE, hawkeye- and 3 others like this.