1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What knives / manufacturers will you NOT carry?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hawkeye-, Apr 14, 2015.

1. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

I generally base decisions on individual merit, but I haven't seen anything I like from Qrtrmstr or Gerber. I generally dislike what I see from CRKT, but the Hi Jinx is sex in a can, and if the Squid came with VG-10 or "better" steel, I'd be scrambling to get one.

ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  2. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I go with quality, reputation, design, and customer service in about that order, but all necessary. As aforementioned by others, never gonna use Gerber. I'm not very partial to Buck, S&W (Or any of the other Taylor Brands), Cold Steel, or SOG either.

Some of the best companies I've ever dealt with (with all of the traits mentioned in the beginning) are small, solo or family businesses that just know how to talk with customers and make good stuff. MaxMadCo, Freeman Outdoor Gear, and Cogent Industries come to mind, and they're the ones who'll get continued business from me in the future.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Let's go back to the original post.

I stated that what I carry gets used; however, WHEN I can use something else like those lesser brands, I will definitely do so to save the better-quality items that I carry. I now consider Leathermans as one of the lesser-quality items given the problems that I have encountered; however, I will definitely NOT hesitate to use one.

4. srvctec

srvctec Loaded Pockets

Spyderco here as well- some of the downright ugliest knives I've ever seen. I figured I'd get burned at the stake here for saying that- glad to see someone else with the same reasoning as myself. Couldn't agree more with your entire post.

5. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

I'll use anything in a pinch but when it comes to buying and carrying I admit to becoming something of a knife snob. I'm very picky about what I buy for EDC. I do not own and have no interest in Gerber, CRKT, Kershaw, or any of the licensed brands (i.e. Remington, S&W, etc). The same goes for any flipper or assisted open knife. I own and EDC three Benchmades but refuse to buy any more because of their pricing policies. I've never had any interest in ZTs or Emersons and don't plan to ever own any.

Brtsmpsn and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Not really a blade snob at all...I have a Gerber that's several years old and still going strong. Lock up is solid, a little wiggle in the blade but still a good beater.

I've had a few S&W knives too, one was a total lemon...the other was perfect. More or less just something as a collectible to compliment my actual S&W firearms.

However some stuff out of the Bud K catalog is just ridiculous and I wouldn't be caught dead with some of those flaming skull type novelty blades.

Corgi and Brtsmpsn like this.
  7. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

I have to admit...after the drama with Strider, I don't think I'll ever carry one on principle....same prob goes for Quartermaster....seems like there's something fishy going on. Grayman, Chris Reeves, and spyderco seems to have always been more than great to me. (not much experience with many others)

WichitaJLJ and Brtsmpsn like this.
  8. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Benchmade, zerotolerance, hinderers, and and crkt.
    Either too bulky or low quality.

But I have been spoiled by Chris reeve knives.

0dBm, murrydan and Brtsmpsn like this.
  9. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I don't write off imports wholesale, but I don't have any particular interest in imported Gerber or Schrade products any more. That isn't to say I would refuse to carry one if they made a fantastic knife from a fantastic steel for a fantastic price. I guess I take things on a knife-by-knife basis, but I'm certainly prejudiced these days against Gerber, all Taylor brands (Schrade, Winchester, etc), and CRKT.

When a company refuses to do business with Jon, they really have to work extra hard for my business thereafter (you know who you are Victorinox and ZT).

When a company like Spyderco collaborates with Jon, I find myself acquiring holy, leaf-shaped blades I never felt I had a use for.

Doraemon, Brtsmpsn and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  10. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

(current) Gerber, the Taurus of knives.

I once thought I hated Spyderco because of the ugly hole, then somebody gave me a Delica....

11. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

I have a Hi Jinx in my possession right now (pass around knife)... it's not a good knife. Not at all. :(

WichitaJLJ and Brtsmpsn like this.
  12. murrydan
    • In Omnia Paratus

murrydan EDC Junkie!!!

Nothing surprising here. Glad someone else said Hinderer, I was not really impressed by the XM-18 - "overbuilt" just means "more parts". I don't care for knives that require Locktite to keep the blade centered and the scale screws stripped both times I took it apart. Also, the fact that the G10 scale doesn't match that thin Ti scale under it drive me bonkers, it took all I had to keep from taking a file to it before I sold the knife.

Doraemon, gemini and Brtsmpsn like this.
  13. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Chuckling about the "stupid, ugly hole" comments. After using a hole, thumb studs seem like an impediment to deployment. :p

14. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Greetings! I've seen a few of your YouTube vids. Good stuff. Have you put anything up with the Hi Jinx? You tend to have a very casual and straight up way about you. It resonates with me.

What are you not digging? The blade thickness, or are there QC issues?

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  15. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

STRIDER, nope not this cat. Almost anything but them and the new Gerbers are ok with me. I have old Gerbers that are stellar. New stuff sucks though. And Strider............. Well. :(

Death standing is better than life on your knees.

16. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

I wont carry gimmicky or "tank" knives.

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

murrydan, Brtsmpsn and warchild like this.
  17. Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest Loaded Pockets

Have I got a knife for you guys..

[​IMG]

kd7dvd, EveryDayBeer, Dorian and 4 others like this.
  18. Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest Loaded Pockets

As for me I wouldn't carry a knife by any custom maker who demonstrates a lack of professionalism or craftsmanship in his custom knives. Will Moon and Neil Blackwood come to mind.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  19. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Oh and i forgot Schrade. They used to make excellent knives and i EDCed one for about 6 years, but what they sell under the name Schrade nowadays is junk.

Fort fireman, gemini and Brtsmpsn like this.
  20. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'll use just about any knife... ugly, cheap, and pretty expensive. as long as it works.