1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What KNIVES do you have inbound, part four.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cowsmilk, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Yes, this is why this knife would never leave the house with me. Purely a shelf Queen in my Quest to own all types of knives that interest me. Still do not have a traditional Kukri for instance. When I get one that is another one that would not be on my belt for Friday night festivities :)

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Well we trust our police more than we should. For instance Norwegian police do not need probable cause before stopping and searching any vehicle.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Just keep in mind what the Gurkhas say about theirs: anytime you pull it from the sheath, it must drink blood! Which seems to be often the owner's blood....

Yes, they are very serious about this!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Back when I was about 12 years old I went to my favorite gun shop walked in, all by myself and purchased a set of Ghurkas , was a 4 piece set, included two little tiny ones, one about 14 inches, and a bigger one somewhere in the 24-28 inch range cost me under $20 Mine never did "Drink Blood" must be why I lost them sometime over the years!

LOL, just think about that! 12 year old, walks into a place and buys a set of Ghurkas! How times have changed!

5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah. Around that age, probably closer to 9 or 10, I ordered a Rambo knife and a Ka-Bar through a mail-order shop. Chinesium copies, off course, but at that age looks was all that mattered.
    The mail office was i the same building as my local grocery store and when it arrived I just took the package outside the building and sat on the stairs and opened them. Grown ups walking past me in every direction without lifting an eye brow. Try the same today, and delta force and child welfare services will be on the spot within minutes.
    Some things actually used to be better..

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Austrian knife laws be like. Well, it’s forbidden if it’s concealed, no matter what size. Oh and, no two edged blades and... you know what? Else do whatever.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

7. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

8. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

This is the swedish bajonetknife I ordered mail order at about the same age (not the actual knife but a picture I borrowed from the internets ;-)

[​IMG]

9. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

I joined the cub scouts when I was 8 or 9 yrs old. My first CS :)censored:?) camp was around 10 yrs old and that's where I learned to whittle with a knife and shoot a .22lr rifle and that started my love affair with knives and guns :). I've always had at least a small collection of 3-5 knives but I was down to 3 earlier this year so I thought I'd do some research for some new knives. Boy, was that a mistake. :rofl:

Here's my haul from just this week. I still have a Socom Elite Auto on the way and should be here tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

10. Moshe ben David

Reading the above posts about carrying knives during school years (and none of us mean even up into high school age! ;) )

I guess I somehow got my first pocket knife at maybe 12? Really don't remember. Except it was in my pocket at junior high school (for you Europeans that's a US thing...) forever after. These days, as a white bearded retiree, I continually get startled looks from the various :censored: when I pull out a blade. Although.... I recently weeded out some and carried them to the coffee shop in a fish tackle box; offered to baristas and friends that everyone could choose whichever one they wanted. Only a couple of guys declined -- and that was because they already carry something far superior to what I was gifting! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. yamsi12

yamsi12 Loaded Pockets

Hadn’t bought an inexpensive knife in a while, grabbed the Kershaw Natrix in black. I have a ZT 0770cf and a Kershaw Barenuckle which are great, but at $27.95 the Natrix is a great knife, especially since the newer ones have KVT bearings instead of assisted opening.
    [​IMG]

12. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This whole talk of things changing makes me want to share a recent experience.

My 8 year old nephew was having some difficulty opening a package of crackers and asked for help. I pull out my trusty SAK and open it. As I’m opening it, he asks me why I have a knife in my pocket. I tried explaining to my nephew that I had it because it was a tool that frequently came in handy, like what I was using it for then, but I don’t think he really got it.

When I was 8, I was given my first pocket knife (a Girl Scout camp knife) and I carried it everywhere, including school. Nobody thought anything of it. If anything it was rare if someone didn’t have a knife either in the pocket or on the belt. Most children couldn’t wait until they were old enough (deemed responsible enough) to be given or buy their first knife. Now something as basic as a SAK or small pen blade carried to school would be enough to get a child suspended. On top of that many adults don’t even carry knives any more and many look at them as weapons rather than tools.

ZMZ67, That Movie Guy, Lateck and 3 others like this.
  13. aicolainen

It's a sad development for sure.

Back to topic... I finally gave in and ordered a BM Proper

BC42 likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

When I think about this -- and many other things in what passes for 'progress' these days! - I frankly consider that society we live in cannot be classified as 'sad'. More like pitiful. And no, I do not focus this on the US alone. When it comes to the subject of pocket knives as tools, there are societies all over this planet who have become so scared of their shadows that possession of any kind of blade evinces terror and a panic call for law enforcement. Even true in the historic homes of blades (all over Europe; Japan; many Asian countries; etc etc etc!)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ZMZ67, Lateck, 0880 and 1 other person like this.
  15. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

ZMZ67 and Lateck like this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I work in an orthopedics company in Switzerland where every single 'worker' (excl. office clerks) has to use different types of knives every day.
    For nearly every single one of them it was a surprise, often incl. raised eyebrows, that I alsways carry a knife - and I feel 'naked' when I forgot to put it into my pocket. Why do you need a knife with you, self defense? That's the standard question. Yeah, I must defend myself from stupid questions :p

Over time I became the scissors and sometimes even knife sharpener in the Co. and they got used to it that I usually don't need a borrowed snap-off bladed knife or scissors when I want to cut a piece of leather or a thread.
    Still it's surprising that they have their Vic's sitting in the drawer unopened for years. Not a generation ago saying was, A Swiss man without a Sackmesser (funny you could write it SAKmesser) is not a man.
    Only a senior boss at my last job thought that way, but he way 70+ yo alrady...

Last month a job student wanted to learn to sharpen scissors on an angle guides bench grinder.
    [​IMG]

Soon he had a pile of scissors from all over the company, when he finished it was like 30 scissors and shears:p

17. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

Beautifully said! I must remember that one! :rofl_revamped:

Adahn likes this.
  18. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I just ordered 2 Casström, Lars Fält's knives. One a Lockback folder and the other a bushcraft fixed blade. Both with Curly Birch wood handles. (That's what attracted me to them.)

I did not find much said about Casström on this forum. Any thoughts?

19. aicolainen

Casström is highly regarded among Norwegian outdoor enthusiasts and seems to have a dedicated following. I have never owned one myself, but exactly because they are so highly regarded on Norwegian outdoor forums, the Casström Lars Fält fixed blade is on my list. Unfortunately the list is long, so I just haven't got to it yet.

Lateck likes this.
  20. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

Got the Socom Elite yesterday. Love the tanto blade and handle but not crazy about the auto. Kicks like a mule and it's not easy to close one handed so I was thinking about the manual. I was browsing the used section on another forum and a T/E manual shows up for a great price so I couldn't resist. I think I'm done buying knives this year. Luckily for me, it's only 3 months :p

[​IMG]

Lateck likes this.