1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What KNIVES do you have inbound, part four.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cowsmilk, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Seems I'm scratching my knife itches this week.

Just received my large Case stockman. Really remarkable how much more substantial the large stockman is compared with a medium. But then I've previously noticed a similar scale up in substance between a full size trapper and the so-called mini-trapper. I have both pairs from Case; bone handles of course. I suspect the large stockman is about to become my favorite carry from my entire stable!

That being said, I do have a couple others now in transit; should arrive Monday:

> Case yellow delrin, medium stockman, SS blades. Pattern 3318, which has the clip blade as the main blade; a sheep's foot; and a small spey blade. I kind of like the spey. Must be a character flaw in me ;-)

> Frost Blackhills peanut, SS blades (clip and pen); blue scales.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Case produces Sparxx as well as a Delrin handled knives and Im not sure what (if) the difference is but Im fond of my Sparxx scaled Peanut and Baby Butterbean models particularly for the scales material.

(Of course I like bone handled knives as well!)

Any input on Sparxx v. Delrin in terms of what those synthetics may have in common....or in difference?

3. Moshe ben David

Well, I first went to the Case website. Not much info there, even in the 'Case College' section. However, Delrin(R) is a registered trademark of DuPont, for an engineering thermoplastic; known to have very stable properties. From Wikipedia, here is a technical summary:

Polyoxymethylene, also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction, and excellent dimensional stability.Wikipedia

Density: 1.41 g/cm³
    Melting point: 347°F (175°C)
    Formula: (CH2O)n
    Appearance: Colorless solid

I also attempted to look up SparXX. Case does use that term for some knives with white or orange scales. Just doing a Google search is shall we say interesting.... seems the 'adult film' industry has quite a few 'participants' who use Sparxx as a stage name...!!!!! That being said, I've seen some catalog entries at knife sellers for Case knives explaining Case white SparXX (for example) to be a white Delrin handled knife. I'm not so sure that is a 'kosher' description. But it does imply similarity.

Hope this helped or was at least entertaining! LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

There is nothing more 50s looking to me than yellow Delrin. That was the main reason for me, to get me a yellow Delrin Trapperlock. But I have to admit, I am underwhelmed.

The whole knife looks like the parts have been polished in a vibration polisher (well I know how that works and looks but not the English word for it) and put together sloppily. Then they put on an edge with a grinder, and that's that. It doesn't stay close in your pocket and whatnot.

Thinking about selling this one for cheap. Maybe I am just not the one for tradition.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

5. Linejudgemick

Linejudgemick Loaded Pockets

The urge was too much, yesterday I ordered a Brous Blades Insight Flipper. It is a collaboration between Dustin Turpin and Brous. I ordered it even after I recently got a new Spyderco Sage 5. I feel like a school kid waiting for Christmas while it's on its way.:frantic:

Last edited by Linejudgemick, Mar 9, 2017
    #3605 Linejudgemick, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

If it's a Case brand knife Im shocked the F&F isn't to a standard that nearly anyone would be satisfied with....

7. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I weak so I have this on the way.

8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yep. Case XX Trapperlock Smooth Yellow, Model 111. Not what I expected. Maybe I am just spoiled or picky. Though I know it's not a CRK or a Hinderer it should still be more "defined".

Got a Scrimshaw knife from Laya Layden (sp?) my wife got me. Love the image on the handles. Although it's a Chinese knife, it fells more defined and proper than the Case.

9. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Send that mo-fo back and ask for one that is "more characteristic of Case's well earned repuation for quality and finish"!

Seriously, I'm picky too and Case knives are pretty much my faves.

10. Moshe ben David

I'll echo the others. If this one is really that bad, send it back and ask for a replacement. I've quite a number of Case knives. Maybe one that I received had a grind issue. None had fit & finish issues. NEVER had a Case knife open on its own in a pocket. Although as I think about it, I do have a medium size trapper lock (bone handles) that even when closed, the tip sticks out of the handle and could result in a cut. Not that it opened; just doesn't close completely.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

Spyderco paramilitary 2 g10 satin blade, digital camo.

[​IMG]

12. FK

FK Loaded Pockets

Spyderco knives inbound.

Endura with Super Blue blade.

Delica with HAP-40 blade.

This fills out my collection of Delica and Endura knives each with ZDP-189, Super Blue and HAP-40 blades.

Regards,
    FK

13. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

The knives I had inbound finally arrived! Some purchased, some were trades. Happy with all of them!

[​IMG]

14. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I have this exact knife. Very good blades which surprised me as I have a few Case knives with just awful steel.

15. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

I got the last one on bladehq's shelf, I'm hoping it hasn't already been returned once or twice. This will be my first Case I can't wait to see how it compares to my F&F GEC's.

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That's a tough one from Austria. Shipping is at least twenty bucks. Have it on a local platform for sale for EUR 40. No takers since months. Maybe I gift it to someone, it never sees pocket time anyway.

17. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

I have a Milwaukee Hardline 3.5" D2 steel flipper coming. I managed to get one at auction for $46 so I took a shot.
    [​IMG]

18. chotu

chotu Loaded Pockets

Currently have a dark timber kodiak mid tech inbound from DLT knives.

19. Gustavo Melro

Gustavo Melro Loaded Pockets

waiting for the mailman decide he wants to work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rkazooti, Adahn, Ray Loftis and 3 others like this.
  20. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Just received: spyderco native 5 FRN from massdrop blue box. Didn't win anything...*sigh* Perfect edc for my manbag tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filippo likes this.