1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What knife reviewers do you frequent & trust?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by xevious, Jul 5, 2020.

1. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

They're hilarious--thanks for the tip!

"That's where we're wrong, Mickey. We've become clowns. Clowns I tell you!"
    "They want to see the soul of the knife, visualized on the screen!"

They... they actually did it. Split a brick with the AD10. :hot: And it lived to tell the tale. :showoff:

Last edited by xevious, Jul 14, 2020
    #21 xevious, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I have never bought a knife based on someone's review. I have however written off a few knives based on reviews, and that to me is valuable information.

I like Nick Shabazz because after watching dozens of his videos now I get the distinct impression that he's more or less impartial: he'll tell you what he thinks without letting bias come into play, at least as much as possible. I appreciate that he discloses at the start how he acquired the item being reviewed, whether manufacturer-supplied, loaned from a viewer, or bought with his own money. It allows you to listen to the review and judge whether or not he's being fair. In my opinion, he typically is.

I like Nutnfancy because he takes a great deal of time to use a given item before putting up a review, meaning you dont get the 'first impression out of the box' type review, but rather an 'after action report.' I find value in that. I also appreciate that he buys everything, or is loaned it from friends, rather than taking a review sample from a manufacturer because it allows him to be honest and critical without fear of losing that sweet 'free gear' gravy train. Mostly I appreciate how he's very up front about form and function. If an item has a flaw that he doesn't like, he'll tell you he doesn't like it even if he still likes the item as a whole. I appreciate that, because he and I have differing tastes and on more than one occasion I've thought to myself "okay Nutn, you may forgive that flaw, but I don't. Not for me, thanks."

There are a couple other guys I follow that do a lot of gear reviews but honestly their opinions mean little to me because I follow them for other things that they do, not for their gear opinions. One guy does a lot of paid advertisements which makes me question his objectivity on the non-paid reviews, and another has explicitly stated the reason all his reviews are "two thumbs way up" is because he does not bother to post reviews of things he doesn't like.

Most of the time if I want info and/or reviews on a knife, I go to BladeForums and see what the knuts there have to say. I have found that focused-topic forums tend to have the most collective knowledge and experience. It's why I came here to talk about EDC. ;)

Moshe ben David and xevious like this.
  3. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I have a similar view about video reviews, in that I never use them solely as a basis for deciding on a knife. I like Nick's structure--it's predictable. After the first few minutes, I often jump to where he starts "the bad & the ugly." Sometimes he nitpicks on things I don't think are all that important to me (and belabors them!), but I appreciate his POV. He has alerted me to considerations that helped me disqualify a knife (saving me time). He's also rather humble at times. One thing that surprised me was his admission about having little skill in sharpening, relying on an expensive device/system to take care of it for him.

BladeForums is filled with great info, as there will often be long term use impressions and raising of possible issues that develop. It's also interesting to see the interest level in particular knives.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I want to know how the reviewer acquired the knife to review. Purchased? Manufacturer provided? Depending on this answer, the review may be shaded with the expectation of reviewing future provide knifes.

HeadOffice likes this.
  5. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

Nick does a good job at that. He has a sign if an item was provided by a manufacturer. He'll also normally say he has to assume that that particular item is therefore the best of their best quality control and tries to take that into account. He went into an explanation of his terms that he makes anyone agree to prior to them sending him something for review too.

Edit: added link to disclaimer video. He can get a little long winded at times.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

xevious and garza like this.
  6. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

When I first started "collecting" knives, that I certainly don't need but rabidly purchased anyway, I dutifully watched most of the big name celebrities in youtube. I soon found the kind of knives that floats my boat so my youtube knife review watching has tricked to a halt, for the most part.

I soon grew tired of Nick's schtick (sorry Nick) and there were a few others that almost made me angry when I watched them, so I figured to heck with all of them. So far, I've been happy with my purchases without youtube knife reviews.

7. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've been on the fringes for a good minute, but Wranglerstar and Garand Thumb are two gear reviewers I watch. Garand has some military experience and knowledge to backup his ideas, and I appreciate that he's a little more open to alternative viewpoints. Wranglerstare is a little more homestead/country living oriented, but his ideas seem based on solid ideas.

xevious likes this.
  8. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

ApostleP does them occasionally - covers slipjoints through fixed to OTFs. Very knowledgeable.
    Otherwise Nick Shabazz as he's not one of your usual YouTube "advertisers/reviewers" who are just shilling for affiliate sales commissions.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. Anthony Sharp

Anthony Sharp Empty Pockets

ApostleP - doesnt make knife reviews so often anymore
    Nick Shabaz - the go to guy on folder disassembly
    DBK - amusing but not really deep enough
    virtuovice - taught me convex sharpening on waterstones, his experiences from hunting/skinning, sharpening and bushcraft can be felt in every video.
    and the usual suspects, depends on the knife I am interested in.

aicolainen likes this.
  10. HeadOffice

Hence I used the term "occasionally" for ApostleP.
    DBK are not even amusing - just simply painful to watch...

Anthony Sharp likes this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

You have to be Dutch to get it...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

12. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I'm not Dutch, but I enjoy these guys! I get most of their humor. Some goes over my head. But I really enjoy their love of knives & how it inspires them to do all sorts of crazy things. I just wish their 1 to 10 grading system was a little less mysterious. At times they'll boast about how great a knife is at something like batoning or feather sticking, then give it an 8.5. Has anything achieved a 9.0 or above? I've not gone through all of their videos yet.

Anyway, they are more into fixed blades which hasn't been quite my thing, but I'm learning a lot. I actually got my first fixed blade, inspired by their vids (not one they demo'ed).

Lateck and A.B. like this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Curious, what did you get? I'm more in to fixed blades as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

14. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I picked up an Asher Knives Tracker (scroll to bottom). DC53 steel, 4" blade. I wasn't even planning on buying it, but Asher was running a 20% off on $100+ purchases, so I bought one to boost me over. It was $36 after discount. Incredibly seamless transition from tang to G-10. Terrific G-10 scales too. I'll take some photos over the weekend. I was thinking that DBK might enjoy giving one a go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finger choil is an excellent size. And I'm glad they made a provision for a sharpening choil.

15. Boy SureFire

I just found a new knife reviewer to like. Advanced Knife Bro. is a little on the sarcastic side, but I appreciate that he shows some lesser known artists while willingly disliking fan favorites. Fear not though, you won't find the Spyderco PM2 taking any bad press.

Lateck likes this.
  16. HeadOffice

He's not bad but he gives those knives a beating. Even on brand new microtechs!!! Sacrilege!!

Lateck likes this.
  17. Boy SureFire

Destructive testing just let's the rest of us know our safe Queen's should hold up to normal use. I might not carry every piece of gear in my collection, but even the $$$.$$ stuff still gets dragged out into the real world same as the bargain bin goodies.