1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What knife reviewers do you frequent & trust?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by xevious, Jul 5, 2020.

1. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I'm not a big time knife collector, but I do like to see what others are saying about a particular knife model that I've got under consideration. And as part of that, I'll hit up YouTube to see what's the buzz. I've seen quite a number of reviewers but found myself often coming back to Nick Shabazz. He’s quite a character. But certainly VERY experienced & knowledgeable. Sometimes he rambles on, but I do like his reasonably objective stance on knives. The good, the bad, the ugly categories are usually well thought out. This guy has TONS of knives, many in the multi-hundred range (some nearly $1,000 USD due to limited editions). But, he has a soft spot for budget knives. He also does many knife take-down videos which are immensely helpful.

I’ve watched a good many of Nick’s videos and thankfully avoided wasting money due to his scrutiny. There have been knives that I was “so close” to buying, but then saw his “ugly” factor and realized I should go with something else. While he does have some favorite brands, he does treat them fairly objectively.

Anyone here buy a knife based on a Nick Shabazz review? What other reviewers do you tend to favor?

Moshe ben David, GRH and timcyms like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Dutch Bushcraft Knives. Great guys.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

GRH likes this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

There's no school for "internet reviews". The internet is like the Wild West days...lots of snake oil being sold. Can you guess, I'm not a fan of "internet influencers" in general (not only in regard to knives)? When it comes to an ugly factor, that is strictly opinion and no science involved. If you tend to agree with the person, then you'll probably give more credence to their reviews. There is NO substitute for being able to handle or use something like a knife (or guitar). Trust yourself--all others pay cash...;)

#3 Tesla, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    xevious and A.B. like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Very true. But the guys I suggested, I purely watch for the entertainment value. They are hilarious.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Tesla likes this.
  5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

None. I trust my own instincts.

colin.p likes this.
  6. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Oh absolutely--must always take reviews with a "grain of salt." Most of the time review knives are provided for free... so, there's always that tendency to be a little "soft." It just feels to me like Shabazz doesn't hold back. The thing is, when seeing an opinion, one must always reflect on it--"Is that a problem for me?" Like the blade spine having a hotspot edge, when everything else is pretty damned good. One can always touch up with a little micromesh to take care of a hotspot. Also, one person's clip nightmare is another person's clip joy. Trouble is, when making purchases pretty much exclusively on-line, it's not possible to handle a knife before purchase. Unless I'm weighing in on a $400 knife, not likely spending a day at a knife show (although I may try to hit one if convenient in the future). Of course, in the right price bracket & from a good dealer, for the price of shipping you can get to handle a knife of interest...

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 on Nick Shabazz. I won't say that I always 100% agree with him; some of the things he calls out as bad or ugly for example are obviously personal taste -- which he often owns up to. Billboarding on a blade for example or certain ergo things. On balance though more often I find myself thinking twice about a knife based on his review than for many other reviewers.

There are a few reviewers who in the past I followed and less so now as it became more evident that they were (to me at least) more shills for certain retailers and/or manufacturers. Several I still watch just to see what is new, but I'm more particular with them in terms of what I will act on based on their vids... Rather than list these here, if anyone really wants to know who I am thinking of send me a PM. I'll be honest about saying its my personal opinion, but I don't want to make a big public deal as you never now how that gets distorted...

Another one who I like just a smidge below Nick is Cedric of 'Cedric & Ada Outdoors Gear' out of Australia. A bit eccentric, but one neat thing he does is a lot of comparative edge retention testing across steels which can be informative.

There have been a couple of others who I thought were as technically competent/objective as Nick but who just don't seem as 'active' anymore. One - who I have to admit I can't recall his name -- went on to become a warranty rep for I think Kizer; wish I could recall his name if anyone wants to remind my addled brain!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

timcyms and xevious like this.
  8. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I find fairly good overviews on knives by Kevin Cleary, Gideonstactical, and Nutnfancy.

9. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really like Nick's reviews as well. He seems to have a good feel for they types of things that may actually work (or not). I agree that he does have his "things" that show at times. On the whole, though, I find him right on more often than I take issue with what he says.

I also appreciate reviews from Tony over at Everyday Commentary.

xevious and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I just go based on my personal needs. After a while of learning about different functions and looking at different knives and through handling them myself, I have a very good idea of what I want a knife to have(opens when I draw it, frame lock, deep carry tip up pocket clip, g10 for handling with or without gloves) so most of the knives I carry and look at follow this pattern or I find ways to make them follow that pattern. I actually bought 3 different Kershaw cryos to make a G10, blackwashed cryo at one point. I think it really comes down to function. Cant listen to other individuals per say, more like what the collective masses are saying. Example, Emerson Wave feature is a cool idea. What is it, what does it do, let me learn. Do I like it. Yes. Watched a situation where being able to draw a knife one handed without losing positive control on a m249 SAW, would have allowed a buddy to stab a local in the leg as opposed to fighting him off his back and dumping half a dozen rounds into the guys chest instead could have saved the local mans life. I bought a CQC-7. Was fine but I didn't like how difficult the liner lock was to manipulate with gloves on when putting it away.
    Dig around the internet for solutions. Found the HEST/F. Frame lock. Worked better FOR MY PURPOSES. Thats the key.
    You can listen to some of these guys talk about knives but what are they doing with those knives. My work knife is actually a Strider SMF, even though I prefer the DPX HEST/f. Why? I needed something even bulkier. I legit spend most of my nights at work sitting around a fire, so having a knife I can use in combination with a hatchet or axe comes in handy, especially if my dinner that night is hotdogs over the fire or something. But not many people can enjoy nights at work like that. Some people legit are just carrying their knives as heirloom pieces. Totally understand that. But to that end, everyone is going to review a knife differently based on what their purpose for it is.

MatBlack likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

You probably are aware that Nick and Tony know each other. They quite often both review the same knife in the same time period and in fact comment on each other's reviews. Which just adds to the value of each!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

xevious and Russ Prechtl like this.
  12. Moshe ben David

I understand where you are coming from and I'm in basic agreement. OTOH, I've noticed that Nick, (for one) will often notice a quirk or even a shortcoming in a knife that may not be obvious from a printed review or manufacturer's marketing information. Often in Nick's case said issue arises when he does a tear down of the knife and some proactive maintenance - which he usually does on any knife he reviews - that information is only going to come to light when one does the tear down. If one does...! I consider his usual custom of posting two videos - one for maintenance and one as the review - to be a real benefit. YMMV of course.

About the only times when Nick does not do the maintenance tear down is for knives for which he can't. Such as traditional with 'pinned' construction...

And yes, I've found many cases where his comments either on the construction or an ergo or fit/finish issue that bugged him made me think twice about a particular knife and often decided to forgo it...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

13. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

I think that’s a staple of any knife I have ever had tbh. I tend to find what works for me and add something to it to make it either work as intended or work better. The roll of Teflon tape I keep in my gun safe is testimony to that. The simplest thing I do is line all the screws to give them a surer fit. I prefer Teflon to locktite personally. I have enough use on most of my knifes and enough of them that I’ve often considered doing a few reviews as well just because I really enjoy the hobby but it’s such a hard crowd sometimes to get into because #opinions lol

14. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I sometimes watch Nick's reviews and always read Tony's reviews. I suppose I like Tony's reviews better because it takes less time to read a review than to watch one of Nick's videos. Based on Tony's reviews I bought my Dragonfly in 189ZDP and the Ferrum Forge Gent. For fixed blade knives, I like Leon Pantenburg at Survival Common Sense.

15. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Am I the only one who finds Nick Shabazz 's voice as irritating as fingernails on a dry blackboard?

It's like Joe Pesci telling me how great this ZT knife is.

Coletrain182 and Lateck like this.
  16. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I often find that reviewers have different preferences than me, and that’s OK. Still, watching a few reviews of a knife often gives me a better feel of the knife. Nick is a go to, because of his methodological approach, but he’s preferences and use cases are quite different than mine, so I often disregard he’s personal opinions.
    Tony of Everydaycommentary.com is better in that regard. And he’s sometimes put me on to knives I might not have considered otherwise.
    Still, each review is just a datapoint in a larger equation to make up my own mind before a purchase. There are some reviewers I will attribute more weight from experience, as I personally can confirm that my own observations align with theirs, but I will still look up more reviews to get as many data points as possible.
    Mind you, a purchase is a big and expensive hassle when you live in the outskirts of civilization. Life becomes a whole lot easier if I get it somewhat right on the first attempt :)

xevious likes this.
  17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

18. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Rather than ever trusting one review, if I'm spending $200 on a knife sight unseen, watch 10 videos. If they all agree they're probably right. If they're evenly divided on whether Benchmade is better than Spyderco, then you probably can't go wrong. Pay less attention to the reviews attached to dealers, since they want you to buy the thing. I generally avoid reviews over 20 minutes, some people just like to hear themselves talk and they like their own voice more than the knife anyway.

xevious, garza and Moshe ben David like this.
  19. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I only get to my cringe face with his voice when he slips into exaggerations or repetitive hemming & hawing. There are a few videos, like his "you can have only one knife", where he struggles to decide... painfully so... dragging it on unbearably long. But he's a character & knows it, which is part of his "shtick." I grin & bear it or skip ahead. :rolleyes_revamped:

Moshe ben David and Bad Company like this.
  20. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

At times Nick will get bent out of shape on one characteristic & unfortunately emphasize it a bit too much... He can be very opinionated about certain peeves. But I'm also thankful how he points out considerations I might have missed otherwise. And thanks to him I've also been made aware of knife models I wouldn't have likely spotted otherwise.

Moshe ben David and aicolainen like this.