1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What kind of watch do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Lee1959, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

Analog, Digital, AniDigital? Is there a specific style you like? Diver, Pilots, GMT?

Automatic , windup, kinetic, or Quartz?

Does it go right down to case style, tank, cushion, round, square?

Strap or bracelet? For straps leather, nylon, or rubber?

Myself I prefer Analog, I had a flirt with digitals for a year or two back in the 70s, but since then strictly Analog. I have had a couple, but not many AniDigitals over the years, most for alarms.

Style wise, I prefer divers both external and internal bezels, with cushion cases, and generally bracelets. Near water or for hunting/camping I go with nylon Nato styles. 

2. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

Here is my favorite. I was fortunate enough to buy one from the estate of a soldier that was KIA in Vietnam. I cannot bring myself to fix it up, so I bought a new one a few years ago...It is automatic and unique because the hands only go around once per 24 hours.

Glycine Airman (mine is exactly like this except without the orange hand...):
    [​IMG]

JM-99

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Analog, Diver's, all metal strap, date indicator, second hand, tritium markers on face and on hour, minute, and second hands, all Ti, matte, dull, non-shiny finish, blue or black face.

That pretty much describes the one and only watch that I wear daily: a Luminox Series 3600 Ti.

I have others, but don't wear them.

4. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Digital for me. As long as it keeps time, and it takes some abuse, I'm good. I've had the same cheapy Timex since 1999 or so. It has a velcro strap so I use it on my belt - otherwise it stinks majorly when you're working out in the field.

5. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

Since I am Analog Man,(aka an old guy) for the past 7 years I have worn the Omega Seamaster Pro Diver's Chronograph. If I see digital time, I have to convert it to analog in my mind. ;D

[​IMG]

6. Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson Empty Pockets

I've worn various types over the years, but I've stayed with automatics for some time now.

I prefer "Tool" watches (unclutter dials), stainless steel heads, stainless link bands.

My everyday watch is a Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono.

hotlinked image removed
    :gl:

7. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Analog, simple, with lunar phase and second hand--a day and date is okay, but not necessary, self-winding, brown or black leather strap. I had a nice Seiko that met these requirements, but I lost it one night riding my bicycle home from the Salty Dog Saloon after one too many beers in grad school... :( Now I have a Timex Indiglo--about to lose another band--that I've had for years. Still looking for the ultimate old pocketwatch.

My dad had a Hamilton that I loved--rectangular with a curved back. I think he replaced it with a Seiko before one of his tours of Vietnam.

8. Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson Empty Pockets

Hamilton made them, too! :)

hotlinked images removed

(Model 941 from about 1905)

9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Oh, I know! I have scanned the Web all over the US and England and have seen some beauties. I just don't have the $$ to get one--starving artist and all that rot... :)

10. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

Citizen or Seiko dive watches (>200m or better) analog and I am good to go... Dislike digi's...

11. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

We all convert to analog...

Hi All-

My preference for general wear is a 42mm or larger analog in stainless steel on either a NATO band or stainless steel bracelet. Water-resistant to 100 meters is a minimum requirement. Screwdown crown and caseback makes for a more secure timepiece. Rotating bezel is completely optional but occasionally handy.

hotlinked image removed

The simple fact-of-the-matter is that ALL of us convert digital watches into analog, so one might as well eliminate that needless step. Hands moving around the face of a watch provide a spacial relationship...which isn't done with digital. Our minds "convert" digital numbers to analog to illustrate for us whether we're early, late, or punctual.

~ Blue Jays ~

12. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

Re: We all convert to analog...

Skydivers make the same argument when talking about analog vs. digital altimeters, btw...I always used an analog one. Easier to grasp how much altitude you have (or don't have, as the case may be) with an analog one than digital.

JM-99

13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm in the minority here, as I prefer digital watches. After using them for the last few years, I find that I comprehend what I'm reading on a digital display much more quickly than an analog watch. I also prefer quartz movements, purely for the convenience factor, but just happen to hate analog quartz movements. There just something about the second hand ticking once per second that screams out "CHEAPO" to me. So digital it is. I mostly wear G-Shocks.

There are days when I feel the irresistable urge to go old style analog. On those days I wear a Seiko automatic Orange Monster.

[​IMG]

14. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Hi All-

Another view of a preferred favorite:

hotlinked image removed

~ Blue Jays ~

15. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Anything without a metal band. I have a few and they all seem to pluck or pinch.

-LT

16. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

My favorite has to be an analog automatic. I hate having to change watch batteries and they inevitably die at the worst time. For a casual watch I prefer a bracelet and if I ever get a dress watch (I would love a Cartier Tank Watch or a Patek Phillipe) it will probably have a leather band. Only thing...no plastic please, I am too hard on my watches!

17. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

I prefer Digital. Too bad that there aren't much nice models with that.
    I really like them suunto's because of their great features, but all of them are way too big for my pretty small wrists :(
    So I don't have much choice in watches unfortunatly. I currently have an analog Gul watch, pretty good quality since I have it a year or 10, but I'd like to have a new one...

18. Jeff9266

Jeff9266 Loaded Pockets

Analog - have never owned a digital watch. For some reason though, every regular clock I've bought recently for home, work and travel has been digital.

19. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

I'm a freak about consistent accuracy so I go with Quartz Analog. As much as I like the automatic watches I can't stand it when they get even 30 seconds ahead. It drives me nuts.