1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Kind of Bands are you Wearing?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by iKnowObstacles, Feb 2, 2011.

1. iKnowObstacles

iKnowObstacles Empty Pockets

i just wanted to see what kinds of bands there are out there, and the pros of cons of each one. Zulu? NATO? Metal band? if anyone know the pros and cons, and any personal experience with said band. Thanks

2. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Little bit of everything for me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a Maratac 2 ring Zulu on my Orient Mako. I like it a lot, it is stiff but is still breaking in. I don't think the 4 ring NATOs/Zulu's are needed from a functional standpoint. I have not had a watch move around on a plain zulu or nato, but if you like the extra rings, why not. If actually diving, or in other situations where the failure of a spring bar means the watch is lost forever, I would go with a NATO or Zulu, even if you loose a spring bar, the watch is still on your wrist. The other big plus is that you don't have to take off the spring bars to switch straps.

Watch out, there are lots of cheap NATOs out there that feel like they will self destruct if you snag them on anything. Metal bracelets run a huge gamut. The factory bracelet on my TAG SEl (pictured) is one of the most comfortable bracelets there is. They are not very rugged, but very comfy. Some bracelets have been known to pinch or pull arm hairs. Others can have an annoying rattle. The rubber bracelets, while not always looking the best, have been very comfy and durable for me.

I think when it comes down to it, you need to play around with a few, especially the NATO/Zulus and the rubber. They're not very expensive and it lets you mix things up. It also helps if you have multiple watches with the same lug sizes.

3. Bullosa

Bullosa Loaded Pockets

I have stainless steel bracelets, leathers, silicon/rubber strap on my watches. SS bracelets are the most durable ones. If your watches are going to get wet, silicon/rubber and ss bracelet may easier to keep odor free. All the best.

4. rbrennanjr

rbrennanjr Empty Pockets

I have several of the Maratac Zulu bands from CountyComm (black, desert sand, and the James Bond stripes) that I change out in my EcoDrive. I also made a paracord survival band for it (thanks to StormDrane for the Instructable). I also have a titanium Skagen with a titanium band.

Out of all of them I prefer the paracord band. As long as you make it right it is quite comfortable. The Maratac bands take a little time to break in before they are comfortable.

Good luck in your search.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

stock ss on my monsters ,,a maratac zulu in my ecodrive..
    .i like bracelet style bands better, just for personal reasons,,
    i do admit that the zulu band are very nice..hold up well and very comfortable to wear,, especially because they buckle at the side of the wrist and not under the wrist

6. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

550 cord, double solomon bar with 8 little pewter skulls facing outboard.

7. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

It's hot and humid in Australia and I always shower with my watch so that rules out leather, I don't like rubber because it looks cheap, metal bands are okay but give the occasional hair pinch (a lot if you wear the gorilla suit), I usually use the Zulu bands because I like the option of colours and security.

8. thenextarcher

thenextarcher Loaded Pockets

a fossil watch is on my wrist right now

*edit* haha i use leather thought it said brands

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Metal links = If you like a good tight fit, these are less than ideal. You can remove links to get the watch to fit better. But sometimes you have to choose from just a bit too tight or just a tad too loose.

Zulu = These are sometimes too thick for some watches. (Not to be confused with too wide.) And won't fit through the lugs of some watches. Plus, because of their thickness, they sometimes put too much strain on the lugs. The good news is, if a lug fails, the watch itself won't fall off of your wrist the way it would with a traditional 2-piece leather or rubber strap. However, the lug likely would not have failed in the first place if the Zulu strap had not been used. It's like dating a girl who will back you up if a bar fight breaks out. But usually she's the one who usually gets drunk and instigates one in the first place.

NATO = Sometimes a bit too thin instead of too thick. But not always. Takes a bit of getting used to. Not all watches look good on a NATO. Most diver models do. But a NATO strap isn't designed for formal occasions, and it looks terrible with many dress watches or other more formal-looking time-pieces. My Pulsar diver is on a NATO, and looks great.

Leather = My Citizen Eco-Drive BM7080-03E came on a very nice Leather strap. A very formal-looking watch, despite its somewhat large size. No issues. But with any 2-piece strap if one lug fails, your watch is going to go tumbling off your wrist. Having worn watches for nearly 30 years, I can honestly say I've never had a lug fail. Main disadvantage is that leather straps soak up sweat, and start to stink from the bacteria trapped in the leather after awhile.

Rubber strap = Ideal if you like a leather strap, but find that your watch constantly gets wet. Either due to living in a rainy part of the world, or washing your hands. Most rubber straps are not pure rubber. (If your's isn't incredibly soft & flexible, and smells like vanilla; then it's not pure rubber. Also, the pure ones are very expensive. Sometimes as much as a good watch itself.) Rubber mixed with a bit of plastic is cheaper, and often works well. These can last a long time. Also, if they get a bit crusty with sweat at the edges of the strap, you can clean them with a soft bristle toothbrush and a bit of soap. The typical rubber strap tends to fade a bit, and sometimes look cheap in under 2 years of EDC. I've seen some rubber straps that were designed to look like high quality leather ones. This gives you the best of both worlds. Some diver's, such as the Seiko 007 and the Orient Black Mako look excellent on one of these hybrid straps. Perfect for someone who is a one watch kind of guy.

10. cameraman

cameraman Loaded Pockets

Waterborne Safety Strap.

11. keith6

keith6 Loaded Pockets

Favorite band

Here is the last one I bought and love Julien Landa. His bands are really cool and well made. http://www.julienlanda.com/

12. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have Maratac Zulus on my EDC watches. Take them off and wash/dry with the laundry when they get dirty/stinky, good as new

13. xyz

xyz Loaded Pockets

I lost a nice watch once due to a two piece band and didn't wear one for quite awhile because of that. It completely traumatized me :'( . Now I usually only wear a G10 strap. Yes, they can make a watch look cheap, but the security and peace of mind they offer is worth the trade off in my opinion.

14. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I went to a four ring nato style band a while back, and haven't looke back since. It is especially nice to be able to wear it over long jacket sleeves when working outside in the cold.

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

My Citizen BN0000-04H diver is on its stock rubber strap - comfortable, matches the look of the watch fairly well, and while at times I would prefer something a bit smarter, I have yet to see anything I think would properly suit it (bar the Maratac elite straps, which I know stock are going to be too big for my wrist)

The Citizen BM8180 is on a black zulu strap - more secure in the event of a springbar failure, comfortable, suits the look and style of the watch I was going for (a basic, simple field watch) but if you get it wet you have a damp watchband for a while...

16. TheMadTrucker

TheMadTrucker Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a watch band my father-in-law gave me years ago. It's hand made on a reservation in New Mexico.

[​IMG]

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I recently found a watch I had thought I threw away awhile back. (Silver faced Revo with a Military Field model dial.) It's a fashion watch with a crappy thick rubber strap. I wore it today, and wondered why I wanted to toss it. Then realized it was partly due to the strap, and partly due to the design that makes it a giant pain to swap out the crappy strap for a better one.

Battery died more than awhile ago. But must admit, I like the look of the watch. Doubt it would cost much to get a new battery. Hopefully I can track down a new rubber strap that will fit. Old strap was thick and soft. Too soft.

18. Reloc8

Reloc8 Loaded Pockets

I like a bracelet on my dressy watch (Omega Aquaterra), and for sports/hiking/outdoors I'll have my resin strapped G-Shocks or Protreks. I do have a couple of titanium bracelets on two of my protreks because I like the look and they're very comfortable.

19. kareem2357

kareem2357 Loaded Pockets

Suunto, they say suunto replacing luck , will my luck sucks so i think i need 3 or 4 suuntos (A)

20. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

Leather strap is the way to go. Looks classy and is comfortable. I do tend to replace mine bi-annually due to wear.