1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your worst-designed EDC item?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by post tenebras, Oct 4, 2021.

1. post tenebras

post tenebras Loaded Pockets

For me, it's a tie between two absolutely epic fails: the CUMA-RAM "Tactical" Pen and the Titanium "Quick Draw" dangler.

The CUMA-RAM is effective as a poky kubotan thing but it's completely useless as a pen due to the dual-threading design. When you try to screw off the cap to write, it takes off the whole tip of the pen, exposing the refill. I was completely humiliated in a meeting a few years ago when I literally could not open my fancy aluminum pen and had to borrow a plastic one to take notes. I had to use pliers afterwards to get the cap off. I tried leaving the cap loose thereafter, but the pen functionality is 100% unreliable.

Then there's the hilariously misnamed titanium "Quick Draw" Key Chain Clip. I often use either a TEC P-7 or a Pangea Pickpocket clip, both of which work brilliantly. I bought this" Quick Draw" dangler thinking it combined the best of both--the minimalism of the P-7 and the bottle opener of the Pickpocket. What I stupidly failed to realize is that the cap-lifting hook on the "Quick Draw" catches on literally every pocket. They should call it the Rip Draw.

[​IMG]

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That was my first thought when I saw this "design". They are also available without the "bottle opener" hook, but I find them to all be too long, anyway. They are just knock-offs of the Cogent Industries / MagnusX Hang Key, but, for some reason, the machinist copying the design decided to make them too long.

The Pickpocket is my favorite, but the KeyBar Ti-Hook is really good, too.

3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Good question. I can’t believe nothing comes immediately to mind…I’ve bought so much crap (quantity wise) through the years. I’m sure there is something. I’ll think on it :)

EDIT TO ADD...I keep trying to think of something, but nothing comes to mind. I've bought a lot of things that I've stopped using for one reason or another, but nothing that I can think of that was just a really bad design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 dmattaponi, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  4. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Nitecore EC11, Fenix PD35... and many other flashlights with one or even two flush recessed side rubberised switches. Infuriating to orient find and get the result you want.

tbzbbt

5. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Painted Leatherman tools.

tbzbbt.

6. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Vertx packs and bags with horizontal organisation slots inside that are not elasticated.

Any bag that does not stand up eg Vertx Gamut.

Any bag with tight curves on its zip travel so it cannot be opened without wrestling with it.

Any bag where the strap is disproportionately large, eg Hazard 4 Plan B.

tbzbbt

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I don't have anything in my EDC that fits the post. I've weeded out ANYTHING that doesn't work, at this point. One of my life philosophies is: Form follows function. If it doesn't work, I don't keep it around. Sometimes, you get lucky on the first try, though. I've been married to the same gal since 1971.

8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I try to analyze any EDC item before I get it. I can't count the number of items I've avoided because of obvious design flaws. I have fallen into the "OMG, this sucks!" trap a couple times though. One item, surprisingly, was a Leatherman product, the Leatherman Skeletool. I really wanted to like it (probably too much so), but ultimately it had numerous serious flaws. First, it has all manner of sharp edges on it, so if you stick you hand in the same pocket as the skeletool your hand comes out hamburger. But the worst part is the location of the screwdriver; it's right on the end of the pliers handle, so if you're gripping something hard with it you wind up stabbing yourself in the palm with the screwdriver. Worse, it only has a slot to store 1 of the 2 screwdriver bits (one is phillips and the other flat). So, unless you want to remove one completely (and lose it) then prepare to be impaled when you use the pliers. A Leatherman (Wave) tool literally saved my life, and one of our cows, one day, so I hold Leatherman to a pretty high standard. Dumb design.

The other one was a power brick. Had two of them and thought they were the bee's knees...until one day one of them just caught on fire! It wasn't plugged in and charging, and it wasn't hooked to anything. It was just sitting in a drawer all by itself. Lucky I was home because I looked over and saw smoke coming out of the drawer, opened it up and flames shot out of the drawer. Picked it up with the wife's cooking tongs and tossed it out in the yard where it burned like a volcano for about 15 minutes! Probably would have burned the house down had I not been here and in the same room when it decided to spontaneously erupt.

Note: I talked to several other people afterwards who had similar experiences, all with older power bricks (different brands and models) which were just sitting dormant (two had the exact same experience I did). So, beware of older power bricks. I've been leery of power bricks ever since, and don't own any now.

#8 DCBman, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    post tenebras likes this.
  9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

We've all been there with something that didn't live up to expectations. In my case, it was a Lumintop Ti Tool AAA. As they say, the devil is in the details, and the detail that I didn't foresee was that the tail switch was too twitchy and turned on accidentally numerous times, running the battery down before I finally gave up & retired it to the desk drawer.

post tenebras likes this.
  10. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I picked up the CX version some years back from the forum store, and that was roughly my experience too. The extra bit kept dropping out until finally it was permanently lost, so I went back to my older LM Wave with the fixed drivers. I'm also not sure what LM designer thought that dinky little pocket clip was a good idea, but mine was always getting bent out of shape.

11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

My brother broke the pocket clip on his Leatherman Sidekick: same anti-rotation tab that seems to break for everyone else. The thing wasn't meant to be pocket-carried no matter how they might try and market it, otherwise they'd have designed a better clip.

As for me, my worst-designed EDC item isn't really something meant for EDC so I'm not sure if it's fair to criticize. I carry an M&Ms Minis tube to keep spare change in, and the hinge between the lid and tube is just a thin strip of plastic that inevitably breaks. If I'm not careful I can lose the lid.